mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Suspension questions from a 385 pounder

I am looking for a new bike, my last one, a Super V1000 was stolen. I am hopefully at my top end weight. I was just looking around at full suspensions in the 2k range. I found a Cannondale RZ 120 2 and thought it may be the one.
    Then the second guessing kicked in causing me to question myself. When I weighed 270, I never had a problem. I am in good shape at 240. But now at 385, I question whether the suspension will hold up. I asked 3 shops that question today, 2 said "no problem", 1 says "big problem". I am also not opposed to a 29er hardtail.
    The one that said "big problem" said that the front shock, being an air shock could not handle my weight and I would blow it out. They said I needed a spring shock with a heavy duty shock. The mechanic showed me a Free Ride Bike that was beefed up, but it looked like it weighed 40 pounds and I have no interest. Does their argument have merit? Am I doomed for getting an off the rack bike?
    I went back to one of the other shops selling Specialized, said the Stumpjumper Comps, both FSR and hardtail would be fine. He also said the Stumpjumper would totally outperform the Cannondale.
    In your opinion who is right? Advice, opinions?...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm not sure what the max pressure is on most forks my RockShox Sektor RL has a list showing Rider Weight = PSI and it goes up to 220lbs and it says 130psi+, but it doesn't say what the MAX PSI is. Most shocks are pumped up to a PSI = to rider weight, but my air shock says MAX PSI:250 so I think you may have an issue with the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I always thought the ratio was 1 to 1. The guy selling the Specialized said he thought it was .75 (air) to 1(weight). I thought about trying to cal RockShox and/or Fox tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

heavy weight

I was in the same boat 1 month ago. Weighted 375 and wanted to get into riding. I ended up finding a left over Giant XTC2 29er for a good deal that fit me in height. I am running the rear tire at max PSI and the front shock at 150psi. So far I have close to 200 miles of rural (hilly) back roads on the bike and it is handling the weight fine. The front shock really smooths out the ruts and potholes.

Taken a month to drop 25 lbs. Figure I will subject it to more rigorius abuse when I get around 300.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was riding last year and this spring at 350+ I am now down to about 310. I have found that my weight really abuses the frame and rear rim when I only rode a hardtail. I have a Gary Fisher Cake 3 that has been pretty bulletproof since I bought it about 3 years ago.

I was worried about the rear air shock not holding up, but it has been fine. I was told to pump it to about 75% of body weight.

The front shock is not air.

The problem with being a big guy riding a hardtail is that when the frame breaks (and it will if you ride as the bike is designed to be ridden), you are out of a bike for several weeks while the frame is getting warrantied. Then once it comes in, there will be a nice bill to buy the new components to replace the once that do not transfer over from the old bike to the new bike. The LBS just received my new trek 8500 frame today and I went to go check it out and get a ballpark on what it will cost to get it put back together. Just the new style bottom bracket, crankset, headset and seatpost are going to run me about 400-500.

I would probably go with a full suspension. Once you start riding the weight will drop off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was riding last year and this spring at 350+ I am now down to about 310. I have found that my weight really abuses the frame and rear rim when I only rode a hardtail. I have a Gary Fisher Cake 3 that has been pretty bulletproof since I bought it about 3 years ago.

I was worried about the rear air shock not holding up, but it has been fine. I was told to pump it to about 75% of body weight.

The front shock is not air.

The problem with being a big guy riding a hardtail is that when the frame breaks (and it will if you ride as the bike is designed to be ridden), you are out of a bike for several weeks while the frame is getting warrantied. Then once it comes in, there will be a nice bill to buy the new components to replace the once that do not transfer over from the old bike to the new bike. The LBS just received my new trek 8500 frame today and I went to go check it out and get a ballpark on what it will cost to get it put back together. Just the new style bottom bracket, crankset, headset and seatpost are going to run me about 400-500.

I would probably go with a full suspension. Once you start riding the weight will drop off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I weigh 225 lbs and run about 125 psi in my fork. With the larger fork diameters it will definitely NOT be rider weight = psi. So it looks like from what wickedone31 said you would be fine on that Sektor fork. I think I remember the Reba fork I had was similar, but that was a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the replies, I feel much more confident going to purchase now

mtbr member
    Been running the Manitou Minute on my 29er HT for the past six months on endless rocky-rooty single track. After installing the recommended spring from the Manitou and adjusting the blow of per the thread below...I run the fork at 120psi with a riding weight of 300lbs. I'm more than happy with the performance of my M Minute and I paid half of what I would have for a RS or Fox...

CEO Product Failure
    Whatever you do, you are gonna break stuff. Been there, doing that. #1 most important rule is to have fun and keep a good relationship with your LBS. They will take care of you.

Regarding the weight loss, snap a photo of yourself and keep a journal. I know you may not wanna be in front of the camera right now but in a few months when the pounds start to melt, I think you will find the photo inspirational.

-B

Back of the pack doping.
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post

Regarding the weight loss, snap a photo of yourself and keep a journal. I know you may not wanna be in front of the camera right now but in a few months when the pounds start to melt, I think you will find the photo inspirational.

-B

This so much. I wish I had pics of me at 349. When I was that heavy, I hated the camera so much, now I wish I had just one so I could compare.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    try some aftermarket springs that go in the front shock. I put in speed springs. as far as the back shock make it a coil over shock. yes weight will be added but they makes some strong coils out there. I had a pair of custom wheels built. ryno lite dh rims, 14 gauge spokes laced into 36 hold phil wood hubs that are for a tandem....the hubs have wide flanges, sealed cardtridge bearings and thick axles. my local bike shop is a 1 person operation, he know what works and what doesn't ....6'2 300 plus

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I picked up a Trek Rumblefish today. Looking forward to getting back on some trails soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinone98 View Post
    I picked up a Trek Rumblefish today. Looking forward to getting back on some trails soon.
    Good choice...Happy Trails!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Rumblefish rear suspension gave me nothing but troubles. I rode the bike a grad total of maybe 400 yards and the rear shock decided that it would not maintain the air pressure. I took it back twice to no avail. Today, I exchanged it for the Trek Paragon and pocketed the difference. I had a lot of time on a hard tail in the past and like the lighter weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would say, talk to the pros at Push Industries. I have a rebuild that they did on my Giant FS Fox Float R including their big hit bumper.

If I were over 300, I would be looking at custom shock work front and rear.

I'm only 210, and even in motorcycles, typical Japanese riders are 140-150lbs. I _always_ swap out my Japanese motorcycle shocks and fork internals for beefier springs and valves for a larger American riding audience.

I don't trust off the shelf parts even for a 220 lb person.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't think it was me causing the rear shock to lose pressure. They toyed with it and slowed the rate of loss, but it still lost 80-100 lbs in a week, with no use. Before I bought the Rumblefish, I leaned hard tail, but they went on sale and I couldn't resist the price. But when I want to ride, I want to ride. With my bike sitting in the shop, with the shock waiting to go back, not knowing who or what the were going to blame, I said "screw it". I got the hard tail. I didn't have an issue with the front shock and I'll get some riding in before summer's over. I need a good 36 hole rear wheel now though. I'm scared to ask, suggestions?

mtbr member
    Having been close to your wight at one point, for a wheel, I recommend have a wheel built for you. I was killing an off the rack wheel about every 3 months. Usually I would blow out the free hub, or start breaking multiple spokes on every ride. The wheels that I ended up with, one was a Hadly hub with a sun rinolyte rim. Absolutely indestructible. Never had to even true it in 2 years (though admittedly I dropped a lot a weight, but even at the beginning it was strong.) The only reason I do not still have it is someone stole that bike. I've had good luck with an Industry 9 hub (built up with traditional spokes as opposed tot he straight pull ones) on my touring bike. I've heard good things about Chris King hubs. Don't go with Phil Wood hubs, I had the freehub blow up three times on the wheel I had built with one. The shop felt so bad they replaced it with the Hadly. For the money, the Hadly is the most cost efficient. Definitely go with the hole to. Good luck, and keep riding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    eh!

my devinci cameleon as marz bomber ,i weighed over the last 10 years from 260/290lbs and my local bike shop suggested to put a more thicker oil in the shocks it work great,could take jumps and roots and dips a lot smoother,i change the oil yearly.

now i have a gf cobia 29er with rock shox tora(air)fs there the ones you can lock'em out .it works great for me but they don't realy lockout?they have a bit of play.

don't know if it is good to keep'em lock all the time?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by big dude View Post
    eh!

my devinci cameleon as marz bomber ,i weighed over the last 10 years from 260/290lbs and my local bike shop suggested to put a more thicker oil in the shocks it work great,could take jumps and roots and dips a lot smoother,i change the oil yearly.

now i have a gf cobia 29er with rock shox tora(air)fs there the ones you can lock'em out .it works great for me but they don't realy lockout?they have a bit of play.

don't know if it is good to keep'em lock all the time?
    I ride the same bike, and I generally don't ride trails with the lockout on unless I'm climbing because it's an air shock. I figure if I want it more firm, I'll just up the pressure. I'm worried I'll break the fork when I leave the lockout on riding techy stuff. Once I hit pavement or anything relatively manicured I lock it out though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ok thanx e roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mount the biggest volume tire that will fit, try to ride a lower psi, the tire will help the suspension and the frame absorbe the impacts.

You are over the designed weight limited of the bike. I would refrain from jumps, drops etc.

When tackling rough terrain, take your weight of the saddle and use your legs as suspension will help save the frame.

Every time you bottom out the shock inspect the frame for cracks.

Have fun