mtbr member
    May 2007

SUSPENSION HELP - Heckler

I have a SC Heckler X9 AM - XLg ordered and have been trying to figure out which spring I will need for a Fox DHX 5.0.

Someone sent me the calculation chart a few weeks ago but being a newbie it is somewhat greek to me.

I weigh 330# and will be riding mostly AM & DH

Also, the bike is coming in with a 32 Float rlc fork. Would you recomend I change it to a coil or air coil? 36?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fat guy on a bike
    At 330 you will need the biggest one they make. I think its 850. Call fox!

The Float should work well for you. You won't know if you need a 36 or something like a Lyric of Marzochi 66 unless you find it insufficient for your riding.

DH? I would avoid downhilling it until you know how the bike handles your weight on short drops first

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OK - I called FOX and the heaviest 2.5" spring they make is 700#. Per their calculations I need a 768# spring.

They have titanium springs all they way up to 850# if I want to spend $200.

What are my options?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Your Options

If I were in your position, I'd get the titanium spring. At your riding weight, which includes you, your gear, and the unsprung weight of your bike, a 700lb coil just isn't going to work.

I'm 300lbs. If the 700# steel coil doesn't work on my Heckler, I'm going to spring (pun intended) for a ti 750#.

Former Bike Wrench

DHX Air?

Quote Originally Posted by MTBFan
    OK - I called FOX and the heaviest 2.5" spring they make is 700#. Per their calculations I need a 768# spring.

They have titanium springs all they way up to 850# if I want to spend $200.

What are my options?
    Why not go for the DHX Air...along with the air sprung Float fork, it will allow a more balanced feel.

BTW-I don't think Fox makes a heavy enough spring for their forks either so you'll want to stick with air. But if you have aspirations of downhilling, get a 36.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

DHX Air for SuperDuperClyde?

Hmmm. It's hard to track down info about the DHX and DHX Air on MTBR, because the minimum length of a search string is four characters. But I seem to recall a few big guys being really unhappy with their DHX Air shocks. IIRC, they are sturdy, but do not feel good when pressurized to SDC levels. I've also heard that it takes higher pressure on the DHX Air than on the float to achieve proper sag.

Try before you buy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My LBS told me that they had very bad success w/ the Fox air shocks w/ riders over 265#.

Former Bike Wrench
    The leverage ratio and type of rate (rising or falling) has more to do with weather an air shock will work or not for your weight. Your LBS's statement is pretty broad and frankly not accurate UNLESS they were referring specifically to the Heckler...which may be the case (not having owned one, I wouldn't know for sure)

I've seen plenty of riders do just fine on air shocks that weigh 300lbs...it really depends on the suspension design

Your bike is incorrigible
    Coil is the way to go for you. I have a Heckler with a Float. The max pressure is 300lbs. According to their brochure, the shock should be set to about 5lbs under your total weight with gear. I weigh about 250 with gear, and I have it set to 250. Yes, it's somewhat firm, but on moderately technical XC trails I go through all but the last 1/2" of travel. If you were to go with the air shock you'd need to have it pumped to maximum pressure, and even then it would be somewhat soft.

Ask the LBS if any other spring manufacturer fits the DHX and makes firmer springs in steel. If not, then go for the ti spring. You could search around for a used one that is a little cheaper.

mtbr member
    I run a cc cloud nine most the time, and recently a Manitou Swinger 3 way on my Heckler....I am #270......drops and jumps- nothing wild though, and never had a problem.....

the cc has a really large volume compared to the Fox or even the swinger which may be why I prefer it.....it is truly the most progressive of all I have tried....

I run the CC at 240psi and the Swinger at 220psi/160psi and get similar results....but for being able to 'feel the trail' without worrying about hittin' bottom, I would have to choose the CC...

Neither are 2.25" travel, they are both 2"......and they both beat the piss outa FoxFloat and 5th Elements.

btw- every Fox I have ever used had a lot more pressure in it for the same trails, and of the three one was always at FoxRacing for overhaul---- all that pressure when reaching near bottom of travel is tough on a gasket I guess....they were all in the neighborhood of 290psi.

My opinion for what it is worth is don't give up on air, just give up on Fox.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I was curious about those titanium springs, so I emailed Fox. They claim that they don't make titanium springs, and directed me to Renton Coil Spring. RCS sells though Foes Racing and Avalanche Downhill. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have an almost identical setup except the 2006 model. I weigh about 280 and I have the 2006 Fox DHX 5.0 with an 800x2.30 spring. I was told it was the beefiest one availabe. It seems a bit stiff for me, so might work out well for you. My LBS installed it at no extra charge when I purchased the bike, which means it probably was not very expensive. So at least for the older shocks, there are cheap heavy duty options available. I am not sure if the older ones are compatible with the new shocks, but it might be worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Talk to PUSH as well. I have a Heckler with a RP23 that has been PUSHed and I only need about 150-160 psi I weigh about 215. Granted the bike is set up xc/trail but PUSH may have some input RE: Weight, design, set up