mtbr member

Surly Karate Monkey 29er Build?

I'm a 6'4" 280lb XC clyde considering what my next bike will be. Test rode a GF Rig 29er this past weekend and I am impressed with the 29er. Have been riding a mostly stock trek 4300 disc for the past couple years replacing parts as i break them.

Anyway, am considering building out a Surly Karate Monkey 29er. Any fellow clydes have experience with this frame?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I went from a Trek 4300 to a Karate Monkey.

It rolls over stuff easier than my old Trek, and with the fat rubber, it's a lot gentler on my skeleton.

I would say that the KM is a good XC bike for a Clyde. I would not want to do anything crazy on it at my weight (300lbs), or yours.

If there were a beefier 29er hardtail that came with a 6" headtube, a big gusset on the headtube junction, a nice curved top tube for standover, and DH or tandem spacing in the rear, I'd recommend that, but nobody makes it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out Misfit Psychles DiSSent 29'er frameset, which is pretty damned beefy build-wise, and has the curved top tube.

mtbr member
    Like the looks of the DiSSent, but think i would need an XL / 21" frame, they only go up to L / 19".

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    There's a "Giant" size on those geometry charts... availability "TBA."

Hmm.

willtsmith_nwi
    [QUOTE=dropthehammer]I'm a 6'4" 280lb XC clyde considering what my next bike will be. Test rode a GF Rig 29er this past weekend and I am impressed with the 29er. Have been riding a mostly stock trek 4300 disc for the past couple years replacing parts as i break them.

Anyway, am considering building out a Surly Karate Monkey 29er. Any fellow clydes have experience with this frame?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks[/QUOTE

I'm 6'3" and 280#. After cracking two Giant frames two years in a row, I went with a Surly Karate Monkey. It's a great frame and long in the top tube, If you do get it, do NOT get Salsa Delgado rims for it. They're not built for guys our size.

Members who have read this thread: 0