mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Superclyde Opinions on Hydraulic Disc Brakes

I'm thinking about buying a new set of disc brakes for my Heckler.

Right now I've got BB7s with 8" rotors front and rear, and I weigh 300lbs.

1.) If I go hydraulic, should I stick with 8" rotors front and rear? Should I use a 7" on the rear instead? Would dropping to 7/7 or 7/6 be a Very Bad Idea?

2.) The MTB guru at the LBS recommends Formula disc brakes, because they're light, the pad-to-rotor clearance is wide, and they work good. I'm more inclined to get reglr' old Juicy 7s. Guru says Juicys are "grabby." I have to wonder, is any disc brake grabby under a 300lb rider?

3.) What do the experienced Superclyde hydraulic disc brake users recommend as the progression (from Excellent value to Work best, but damned expensive) in brakes? For hubs, I'd say it's XT -> Hope Pro 2 -> DT Swiss FR.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    shimano brakes are decently priced and with 203/180mm rotors you should have enough power...

I suppose you are riding a through axle fork (being a superclyde)... if not, it would be a good idea..

Formulas are really nice... a bit pricey though...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Just curious why?

I (a 280 pounder here) went through (literally smoked 'em) two sets of hydros (6") and finally ended up with 8" BB7's. The hydros do have a nicer feel to them, but the 8" BB7's have excellent stopping power (with some left over) and they don't overheat on long steep descents, so I don't have any reason to go to hydros unless I just want to spend some money. But, it's your money and since it is your money, "just because" is as good a reason as any. I would just stay with 8" on the front for sure hydro or not.

As for 8" on the rear, I would recommend 7" with an 8" on the front. I think it would be a more balanced feel. JMHO. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    If you're not skidding the rear tire, then why not keep the 8" rotor there? Sure, you can't get as much power out of it than the front (basic physics) but if it's working great then the greater heat dissipation should make everything work better.

However, if you get enough power from a 6" rotor then it would be "most out of the way" of them all, but that's a big if.

I personally like the feel of my magura hydros a lot more than any mech I've used (and I have a well set-up bb7 on my backup bike), but they are more expensive.

If you're wanting more power and modulation, then looking at something that uses a larger PAD than what your current brakes do would be what I would focus on. In the end, it's the pad contact on the rotor which does the work. For example, for no really good reason, I'm just upgrading from '04 to '07 magura louise and there are only two real differences. 1. Bit Adjust setting and 2. Larger pad contact area. The latter actually seems to make a noticable difference, more than I had expected.

I also agree with the "what works doesn't need fixing" - but it's your money and sometimes it's nice to just upgrade something (note my change of model year).