mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Super Clyde...Hard tail or full suspension????

I currently ride a KHS full suspension bike. I am chomping at the bit to buy a 29er hardtail. I have never ridden a hard tail before. Will I be dissapointed. Are there any advantages to having a hard tail? I am 6'3" , 280 lbs. and I find it hard to get the correct setting for my rear shock. I have been tweeking it every time I go ride.

any advice??

Ow!
    Well, I don't know if a hardtail or a 29er is for you. You should after a while find the best settings for your full suspension, unless that bike really isn't for you.

But if this is really about wanting to try something new (is it? I have been there many times), then a hardtail for xc trails may be worth a try. I have my most fun on my hardtails, but still ride my FS's quite a bit of the time. Advantages for a hardtail, it is more responsive to the trail and your riding. Disadvantages is that on rocky trails it results in more impact on the body than a FS. I suggest go rent hardtails, in 26 and 29 flavors, and ride some actual trails to see if you like it.

Just FYI, I rented a hardtail 29er (nice Specialized with nice parts) a few years ago just to see what a 29er was about. It didn't seem that much different than my hardtail 26er.

mtbr member

please correct me if I'm wrong about the 29er

My thought is this: if your aerobic fitness level is stout and you spin pretty fast, a 29er hardtail would be fine. I think (I don't have a 29er) it may take a bit of energy to get the 29 going with the 280 lbs you have (especially on longer climbs), but once you get going, you'll bomb over as much or more that your fs rig. Downhill you'll be fine. As far as the rear shock setup on you khs, make sure the rebound is fast (if it has a damper) and check the sag in the setup. Post a reply if you don't know how to do this and I will answer. I weigh 240 and have found that any slow rebound kills the amount of travel in the rear. I'm sure more will chime in on this so best of luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great replies. I better give you the whole story. ... I just recently cracked my FS frame, had it welded and added an extra tube for strength. I know I have read not to weld alum. but the welder is a good one and knew to heat the tubes before welding and also the cooling down process. I have ridden it 3 times since the weld on some pretty rooty fast single track. It seems to be ok. Thats the reason im looking for a new bike. I will buy a bike that has a lifetime warranty on the frame. my KHS only had 5 years. I think I got my moneys worth though.
    As to the rear shock. It is a Rock Shox Bar with dual air valves. I have no manual or infor for the setup. What I could find on the internet is that put 150 psi in the pos. side and adjust to get correct sag. But these shocks are made for little twerps, not big gorillas. It also says that the max pressure is 250 psi. So I tried to put 250 in it but it would only go to 240. I tried riding and there was no movement of the rear suspension at all. As for the neg. pressure valve , Im at a loss. I read that they should both be the same. ???? Dosn't make sense to me.
    If any one has a step by step easy way to set up, that would be great.

mtbr member
    Don't rule out a FS if that's what you need for your terrain. I'm ~300 (trending towards 280) and ride the snot out of my RIP9. Built it up with all-mountain components like Sun MTX33 rims / Hope hubs (with MikeC of lacemine29.com), SLX cranks, and a downhill stem. Upgraded the rear axle to a Maxle through-axle, something usually only on downhill bikes. Doesn't flex laterally one bit. Fox RP23 does a really good job. I've punished it a lot and the worst I've done is bent the derailleur hanger and broke a stem... the rest of the bike's fine.

You may even consider a WFO. Those have some burlier forks available, ones with both thick stanchions (over 32mm) and the thickest axles (20mm). Otherwise, your best bets fork-wise are the upcoming Fox 34 140mm or a Revelation 140mm or WB Loop. Each one of those is slightly less than ideal in axle (Fox has 15mm) or stanchions (Rev, WB has 32mm).

Otherwise, I'd go for a 29er all mountain hardtail like a Canfield Yelli Screamy. Those use up to a 120mm fork, and are tough as hell.

Beyond that, consider custom steel. Bystickel is a fave on the 29er board. There are plenty of others.
    Last edited by schnee; 08-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.

mtbr member
    try these:
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...rOwners_en.pdf
    http://www.sram.com/service/include-...ockshox/49,151

the first one has the manual i think, if it's not the right one, the second link should direct you to it hopefully. I'd stick with a FS bike if I were you. I have a giant trance and it has a lifetime warranty to the original owner and is a great ride. good luck bro!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good find ,but my Bar has a negative air valve also. I can't find any info on it. I plan to go to thge bike shop and let them figure it out. Otherwise thanks for the links.

Ow!
    I you like your current frame and trust it (with the welded part), then I have a couple of recommendations:
    1-If the shock has both positive and negative air, then it may be similar to Rockshox's air forks. You might check the threads that discuss the different pressures for Reba and other Rockshox air forks. It wouldn't be the same pressure of course, but the positive/negative ratios might be similar. I have a Reba on my hardtail. It took a while to figure out what I liked since it is very adjustable (lots of adjustments can be good and bad). But you should be able to find what you like. FYI, I found on my Reba that I like my positive pressure = my negative pressure. Others have found they like their negative higher or lower than positive.
    2-You might try a different rear shock. Again, if you want to really keep your frame, a better shock may do wonders. Fox RP2's, 3's, and 23's may provide a better feel. Expensive, yes, but may be less expensive than a new frame.
    3-Maybe need a new or different shock pump. Maybe it is the shock, but I have never heard that any shock could not be pumped up the limit, or higher. When you visit your LBS, they will likely have more than one pump in their shop to try.
    Good luck.