mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Super Clyde 29er Tires

At 330 lbs and 6'4", I've found that what works for the normal MTB'r doesn't work for me. I ride in Kansas City which has a surprising amount of rocks and have had trouble with tires holding up. Also at my weight, some tires feel really washy without a lot of pressure. Below are the tires that I've found to work and am looking for some others to try. I've also listed some tires that I want to try and haven't or are just coming out. What works for the other hard riding super clydes out there?

Tires I've Tried

WTB Dissent 2.5 29er - ultimate tire for me, ultra stiff sidewall, huge sticky knobs that stick to rocks like glue, and good volume to soak up the bumps. I hear WTB has held production recently and not sure when they will be available again.

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 29er - ok tire that I love up front, super volume and good traction. Don't like it out back cause sidewall isn't stiff enough, feels wishy washy.

Tires I Want to Try

Geax Gato 2.3 29er - TNT AM sidewall is supposed to be very stiff. Availabe now. Top Ten 29"er Products of 2011: Geax Gato TNT 29"er Tires

Geax Sturdy 2.3 29er - TNT AM sidewall and huge lugs. Coming soon. Geax Sturdy 29"er Tires: Final Review

Maxxis Minion 2.5 29er - Burly downhill tire. Coming soon hopefully.

Specialized Purgatory 2.4 29er - Looks like a good prospect, not sure about sidewall though.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'7" right about your weight. I've had good luck with the Panaracer Rampage, Kenda Nevegal, and WTB nanoraptors. The Kendas had the most grip, but seemed to have the most rolling resistance. Most of what I was riding hardpack, loose, or rooty and admittedly not that rocky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ahh I forgot about the Nevegal, I've run that tire before and really liked it. Besides shedding knobs it held up well.

I cut two rampages before giving up on them. Sidewalls too flimsy.

Haven't tried nanoraptors.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    purgatory=WIN!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm exactly the same height and weight as you and I'm running the Purg 2.4 Control up front my my 29er and the Captain 2.2 Armadillo in the back setup tubeless. I really like the Speshy tires. I just put the same setup on my 26er too, although I used the Armadillos for both front and back. I haven't had any problem thus far with the Purg Control up front on my 29er and I run it around 32-35psi. I have to keep the psi up on the rear Captain though to around 40. On my old 29er I tried a couple of WTB's which didn't cut it for me and also the stock Bontragers that also were pretty weak.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the Purgatory Controls 2.4 up front 2.2 in the back and like them.....but I have only used them for winter rides at lower psi ( I am 290# and am able to run tubless at 15psi). I think the nice thing about the purgs is that they are a high volume tire too, not just wide and knobby.