I am the Lizard King!
    May 2005

Sun Singletracks vs. Rhyno Lite XL's (X-post in Wheels and Tires)

Okay, I'm in the market for a new set of wheels. I'm about 200 pounds, ride aggressive cross-country, no huge drops -4 feet, which would you reccomend?? Thanks,

Cory

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm about 210 right now, riding with a Rhyno Lite XL on the rear after tacoing a Sun CR-18.

I rebuilt the wheel myself and use a tension meter, got it nice and taught, and thus far is holding up really well....

I have no personal experience with Singletracks though so cannot really compare.

Making fat cool since '71

I'm not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by FisherKid
    Okay, I'm in the market for a new set of wheels. I'm about 200 pounds, ride aggressive cross-country, no huge drops -4 feet, which would you reccomend?? Thanks,

Cory
    ...you even need the XL's at 200. The Rhynolites (and XL's) are great rims at a great price. You *really* don't need the Singletracks (in my "humble" opinion). I'm on XL's at the moment (255lbs) and ride whatever comes along and have not had any issues with them. I have not done any big drops (nothing over 4') on them, but it doesn't sound like you will be either.

I used to have the Singletracks and Singlewides. The extra heft (considerable) of them isn't worth it for the "typical" aggro xc stuff. A good builder can get some crazy strength from not so porky rims.

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Forgot to throw in a little point, in the fall i did some stair jumping and my XL rear held up great, better than my wrist.... Managed to fracture my wrist on a set of 8 stairs...

Gravy Boat Regatta
    If you're a smooth rider, I think Kraig hit it on the head (Rhyno Lites would be fine). HOwever, I know a 185lb non-smooth rider who knocks his XLs out of true weekly. He crashed thru obstacles (Versus riding smoothly over them).

The one thing I noticed was that changing tires on his XL what much more difficult (more tire tension) then on my single tracks.

Not really much difference in weight. I'd say its up to you.

I haven't rode one, but what about an SOS?
    Hi

I am the Lizard King!
    May 2005
    Well, I'm not that smooth of a rider, but I don't just crash through them either. I'm looking at the XL and Singletrack because I can get them at the same price $39.99CDN.

Gravy Boat Regatta
    Price being equal, get the singletracks. Roughly the same weight. And with a disc specific design conventional wisdom says they'll be stronger.

Good luck.
    Hi

I hate that name.
    Don't forget that Singletracks are prettier than Rhynos.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Hmmmmm

Cool-blue Rhythm Old School Rules...

The only real difference between the two rims is price. The Rhynos and Singletracks are the same weight within a few grams and are both incredabley strong.
    I like the Rhynos because you can throw them onto a bike with rim brakes if neccessary.
    The only real advantage that the Singletracks have is their good looks.

Eric W.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...