mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Sun Ringle Black Flag/Charger 29 or Easton Haven 29?

Been looking to upgrade the wheels on my 29er and have come down to these choices. I'm 6' 1" and clocking in at about 260 lbs geared up so I need something durable and possibly something lighter than my 2300g+ stock wheelset. I ride XC so there's no crazy jumping involved. Anyone have any experiences with these wheels? Thanks.

1. Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro or Expert
    2. Sun Ringle Charger Pro or Expert
    3. Easton Haven 29
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

nor
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have the black flag pro's for 2 years. I am 6 foot 195 before gear and they have held up great. I have not had to true once. The are an awesome tubeless wheel. The free hub body is gouged but other than that they are bomber.
    ron-k.blogspot.com

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    I am the same weight and height. I have been researching the rims I will be buying in the next few months and I have narrowed it down to either the Sun Ringle Charger pros or the Easton Havens. The Chargers and the Havens seem to be designed more for AM while the Black Flags are designed for racing and XC. The Charger Pros are a little bit heavier, but they are also wider. I am a little biased toward the Chargers because they are, partially, built with made in USA parts(spokes). The quality seems comparable for both companies. I've read that Easton uses a very high tension on their spokes which intimidates me out of doing my own repairs on them.
    Hope it helps,
    Adam

mtbr member
    I have a set of Charger pros (26" version). Rear needed to be trued after 3 or 4 rides, and pretty frequently after, until a spoke broke and Sun Ringle refused to sell or give me replacements. Everyone says that's a risk with non-standard spokes, but I've never had a problem getting replacements from Mavic, Easton or Cane Creek (the latter even 5 years after they stopped making the wheel in question). I'm done with Sun Ringle.

contrast that to 2 sets of Easton Havocs (different wheels, I know) that have been rock sold through everything I throw at them, never need truing, and have a much better company backing them up. In fairness though, the Chargers were stiffer than the Eastons, at least for the 30 or so rides I got on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the input fellas. Keep 'em coming! Any clydes riding on the Sun Ringle Black Flags?
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    I am about 300 suited up and ride Black Flag experts, had spoke tension checked once but wheels stayed true.

mtbr member
    I've owned both Sun Ringle Charger Experts and WTB Laserdisc Trail TCS wheels and as long as you just need a QR front I would recommend the WTB wheelset. I liked the Charger rims and ease of setting up tubeless on them but the hubs are average at best. I had to replace the freehub bearings after only about a dozen rides. And the freehub body is pretty soft and gouges easily. I like the WTB wheels better for a few reasons. The 32h rims and hubs make future repairs and replacements easy and should make for a stronger wheel. The hubs are nicer in several areas over the Sun Ringle hubs. The freehub body has steel inserts to prevent gouging but is still very light. The bearings are all stainless steel which should last longer as well. While the engagement is a little slower than the Sun Ringle hubs (though to be honest I haven't really noticed), they engage very solidly and are also quiet with almost no drag when coasting.
    Last edited by Bike Whisperer; 11-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jesspal View Post
    I am about 300 suited up and ride Black Flag experts, had spoke tension checked once but wheels stayed true.
    Awesome. Good to hear. Keep the inputs coming! Anyone have any experience with the Easton Haven 29 wheelset?
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Think I'm just gonna wait a bit more and go with Hope/Stans Flow combo. A lot of good track record for this setup amongst many riders it seems.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have been running Charger Pro 29er wheels for two years. NO PROBLEMS. Re-tensioned once. I bought the Pro's to be able to run any axle standard.

I am 280 geared up and run them on a fully rigid Kona King Kahuna.

All this year they have done single speed duty. I bought the Ringle hubs because the freehub is bullet proof...have been running with Ringle since the Super 8 and Super Duper 8...(18years?!) I blew up too many damn Shimano and WTB freehubs...

The freehub body can get gouged just like every other aluminum free hub body. Keep the casset tight and don't worry about it. My I9 freehub body gouged a little too...the lock ring was under torqued.

The rims on the Charger Pros are licensed by Stans and came taped and ready to rock.