mtbr member
    May 2011

Suggestions on a new fork for my hardtail

So I recently got into mountain biking about a month ago and I absolutely love it. Reminds me of my younger days riding BMX trails, only much much better. Not really knowing that I'd like it this much, I bought a simple entry level Trek 4300. So far I love the bike but I can tell that the components are not going to hold up for long on the trails I've been riding. The first thing I'd like to upgrade is the front fork but after days of reasearching forks for clydesdale riders, my head is spinning and I've come up with no real answers and I'm hoping the good folks on this forum could make a few suggestions. I'm 270lbs and ride in NJ, so far mostly dirt or sand singletrack with small jumps and features but the northern part of the state had some great rocky trails that I'd like to hit up as well. So I'm looking for a fork that will hold up to my weight, daily beatings and not feel as much like a pogo stick. I know this is a tall order, can anyone make a recomendation?

Former Bike Wrench
    Budget?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^^ Suggested the Manitou Tower Expert if 29er, Manitou Minute if 26. Get the firm spring, and your good to go?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As far as my budget goes, I'd like to keep it affordable but utlimately I want something that performs. My bikes a 26er too. I'll look into the manitou, do you think a spring shock is the way to go over an air shock?

mtbr member
    I really like my Manitou...good forks at a reasonable price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill
    As far as my budget goes, I'd like to keep it affordable but utlimately I want something that performs. My bikes a 26er too. I'll look into the manitou, do you think a spring shock is the way to go over an air shock?
    The Manitou Minute Expert is a Spring/Air combination. Using the firm spring with air preload it will hold your weight and the damper is one of the best on the market.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Have you considered a rigid fork?
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If weight(the fork's, not yours) isn't a big factor, look for a recon air, Jenson has them pretty cheap most of the time. I had a manitou Drake, but it was much harsher to ride than a recon. If it helps any, I was at 270# when I was riding the recon. Recently switched to a Fox F100RLC that I found used and have never looked back. The recon survived from 270pounds down to 223(that poor fork)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm almost set on the recon air but the marzzochi RLO44 looks pretty sweet too.

Jan 2006
    The best upgrade I made for the 4300 was selling it! I had a 2008 4300 Disc and I couldn't find any redeeming qualities in that bike.

Mine had the RST Gila fork and it was a P.O.S. If it were me and I HAD to keep that bike I'd replace the fork with a Surly Rigid fork. I did that with my old Fisher Marlin it made the bike lighter. Those low end forks are pretty much worthless for a clyde they just add weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Recon and Minute are both quality forks that will substantially improve the ride of his bike--they are upper mid-level forks. I'm not familiar with Marz mentioned by the OP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

If you have the coin...

Magura Menja - bought one a few years back for my XC. It's been awesome.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul