mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New question here. Suggestions/Ideas for eating while traveling

Few weeks ago, we went on vacation and I was able to plan for the week away from home. Took my own breakfast, lunch, and snack food. Worked great and I was able to maintain my six meals a day and actually lost a pound during that week.

Last few weeks I have been unexpectantly traveling for work with no planning time nor guaranteed mini-fridge, microwave, etc.....in the hotel. Diet is going to heck and I am back to a three meal a day schedule due to work schedule, even when I think I am eating OK, when I check the nutritional value from the resteraunts website later, I find that I am eating way more calories than I estimated, heck I even ate a 1300 calorie salad for lunch.

Any ideas or suggestions on maintaining a diet while travelling for work?

mtbr member
    Subway 6" veggie sandwich.

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008
    Subway is always a great option. Just in general:
    • Dressing/Sauce/etc on the side
    • You don't have to eat everything on your plate! (sorry mom)
    • Look for opportunities to eat a vegetarian meal each day
    • Ask questions about sides: "are those veggies cooked in butter?" "can I get a plain bun instead of toasted?" "could I get a green salad instead of the fries?"
    • Avoid red meat
    • Drink water (and if you're like me on a business trip...avoid booze)
    • Include fiber wherever you can (beans/whole grain bread/etc)
    • Don't let being on the road become and excuse for going hog wild at the table

The biggest one is really not to eat so much. Restaurant servings are ALWAYS way overboard. The odds are pretty good that you have at least 2-3 times more food on your plate than you need to be eating.
    -The world breaks everyone and after some are strong at the broken places.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    when eating out... cut the portion in 1/2... if you can eat off the kiddie menu (honestly it's enough food most of the time)

buy a small cooler and a few of those cold packs... slim fast pre made shakes or something similar... a GOOD granola or other snack bar is also a good thing to have around... as long as you fit it into your calorie count for the day.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions, never thought of asking is stuff was cooked in butter or if I could not have my bun toasted. Anyway, not doing so well with the diet this trip, there is this "Five Guys" burger place right next door and man are their burgers and fries good and the the portions are about 4X too much. I ate their three times already. I recommend staying away from this place if you can, but it is good.

I been trying to compensate by burning the calories in the hotel fitness center and by taking the steps to the fifth floor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Man, five guys burgers are good stuff. I have a hard time cutting down the food intake when I travel since it's usually a team activity to go out and eat every night.

Also, try to cut down the beers/wine. I know a long day while traveling elicits a good relaxing beer, but they add up.

Lastly, I tend to order food and eat a lot because I'm afraid that I'll get hungry in the night and have nothing in the hotel to eat. Bring granola bars, buy some fruit, or put together a significant "snack pack" in case you eat too little and need a boost to get you through the night. It's better than ordering a meatball sub at 10pm at night delivery (like I did last Tuesday....)