mtbr member

Suggestions for a Cassette?

I just tore up my Sram PG-980 due to my size while I was hammering up a hill. All the teeth are bent over on the 3 largest chain rings. I think I might have to sacrafice a little weight for stregnth. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ponyski; 10-10-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    —Ponyski

Your bike is incorrigible
    Right now I have an XT, and I haven't had any trouble from it so far. Before that, however, I had an LX, which lasted for two seasons (and I'm pretty sure it could see some more action). IMO, the LX is the best cassette for the money. It's beefy enough for a clyde, still relatively light, and it's cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Never had good luck with Sram!! Bad design in the big cogs, XT's and LX hold up well.

just along for the ride
    LX for the price is best, just run steel rings on the crank or else!

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll second XT cassettes...SRAM 970's have done okay by me, but I'm fastidious (I can't believe I used that word on this forum) when it comes to maintenance and cleaning. The XT's will take more abuse than the 970's from what I've seen.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for all great info.

I do still have the old LX cassette I was trying to replace to save weight on my bike with the Sram. This plays back to one of my old sayings "lighter isn't always better"...especially with Clyds at the wheel. I only got 7 rides out of the Sram. The LX did work fine.

Luckily I only paid $25 for the Sram on eBay. I think I will try an XT and see how that goes.
    —Ponyski

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wish I had seen this 40 miles ago.....
    I just waisted a Sram PG980 in 40 miles. I was going to grab a PG970. Maybe I will look for an LX or XT

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have gone through a PG970, PG980 and XT cassette. All of the top cogs bend. Seems to me I was only able to get 300-400 miles out of them. I went with the LX, cheaper, and after 300 or so miles it is still going. I put an LX on my other bike and it has close to 500 miles on it and is operating fine. Clydes' climbing is the cassette killer, and I am not as big as most of you.

mbtr member
    I've had good luck with a sram 991 and 11-34t xt cassettes. The 34t ones have 5 carrier arms, i bent an old 4 arm one. All the cassettes with individual steel cogs seem to be more sensitive to adjustment and misshift under heavy loads in big rings.