Thread: Sugar addiction

mtbr member

Sugar addiction

hey, guys! i didn't know i was addicted to sugar, but my wife noticed. i rarely had pop or candy bars, but really enjoyed juices like all natural fruit juice and oj. i also had big servings of cereal. peanut butter was a big one, too. overall i thought i was eating fairly healthily, but my portion sizes were quite big.

i've been in decent shape but found it hard to stay below 240 (6'4) even though i would hit the gym hard and have decent cardio workouts elsewhere.

my wife recommended training myself not to be addicted to sugar so i ate nothing but vegetables for a week. i had raw broccoli, celery, dark greens, cucumbers, cooked asparagas, and carrots. it was hard but got used to it after a few days- days 2 and 3 were the hardest, but surprisingly not as bad as i thought it would be. i chose not to have any fruit during this time either since i didn't even want the natural sugars since those are so good too.

after the week was over i started introducing lower sugar fruits into my diet and then after a couple days some leaner meats. i make sure i stay away from a lot of breads/starches- especially white/refined carbs/flours. when i have pasta, it's whole wheat and basically none of the sugary white cereal i had before.

the first week i dropped about 10 pounds and then a few after that the following week. i'm now at 232 and feel great. my portion size is way down and i no longer crave sugar. i seriously never thought i'd be able to say i didn't want sugar.

i'm sure some will say "duh" of course, but just wanted to share so if someone was in my same boat, hopefully this helps.

btw, i hate vegetables- not all but most. asparagas was good and cooked broccoli, too. it was hard to get some of them down but was able to get used to it and make it a habit.

good luck, all!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

used to be RipRoar
    thats good stuff....I need to do the same.

Also not to mention lowering our chance of a diabetes greatly!

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    I was on that same..no sugar path.. after a while I didn't miss it in the least. I too did note an imnproved energy level when eating raw and steamed veggies.. I have since backslidden. What can I say.. I'm weak. I know that if I don't take my health seriously, that I could end up in serious trouble. Gonna do some smarter grocery shopping today.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones
    I was on that same..no sugar path.. after a while I didn't miss it in the least. I too did note an imnproved energy level when eating raw and steamed veggies.. I have since backslidden. What can I say.. I'm weak. I know that if I don't take my health seriously, that I could end up in serious trouble. Gonna do some smarter grocery shopping today.
    yeah, i'm still amazed i don't crave sugar. i still want it here and there but now can control myself a ton better.

good point about having healthy food in your house. if i don't have fruit juice, i can't drink it.

good luck!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    yeah, i'm still amazed i don't crave sugar. i still want it here and there but now can control myself a ton better.

good point about having healthy food in your house. if i don't have fruit juice, i can't drink it.

good luck!
    ez
    For me now..it will be a portion control issue.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones
    For me now..it will be a portion control issue.
    Thats my problem too, food is just SO good! Its like my favorite hobby, aside from riding that is.

EZ-I admire your ability to cut all that crap out of your diet. I started regulating my food intake last Saturday and have noticed a difference in energy as well. I didn't so much cut out a specific type of food, just eat less and the better for you versions. Skim milk, wheat bread, no more soda , no more cookies...except for work parties due to peer pressure lol etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose07
    Thats my problem too, food is just SO good! Its like my favorite hobby, aside from riding that is.

EZ-I admire your ability to cut all that crap out of your diet. I started regulating my food intake last Saturday and have noticed a difference in energy as well. I didn't so much cut out a specific type of food, just eat less and the better for you versions. Skim milk, wheat bread, no more soda , no more cookies...except for work parties due to peer pressure lol etc
    thanks, man. it's not that easy but definitely doable. i just had a pb&j and wheat bread but it came naturally to just have a little pb and a little bit of j- it used to be loading it on and then taking a scoop or two of pb straight from the jar.

also, a good way for me to control portion size is to eat a small amount and then do something else to take my mind off food until my brain knows i'm full (like what i'm doing now to go online). i used to stand up and eat at the fridge or cabinet. sometimes it's hard when out to eat or sitting down at a party or family gathering. i just try to tell myself the only reason to eat is to provide fuel for my body- it shouldn't be social or even fun. haha. i know harsh, but that works for me. maybe that's why most of the world is fat- people like to sit around the dinner table and just eat for hours- i like it too and i know that's dangerous territory for me.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For me, it's the flipside. If I have it in my house, I will eat it.

That goes for both good and bad foods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Val Garou
    For me, it's the flipside. If I have it in my house, I will eat it.

That goes for both good and bad foods.
    yeah, i sometimes wish my wife and son had to eat just like me so i didn't have some of the more unhealthy foods in the house. i let myself eat as many vegetables as i wanted- turned out i didn't want a ton of them- i really don't know how people eat raw broccoli. i still have to eat more of them since the natural vitamins are so good for you.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Tree Crasher
    Raw or steamed veggies - ugh. Roast them in the oven instead. Dump two bags of baby carrots in a bowl. Toss with some salt, pepper and olive oil in a bowl and spread out on a tray that's been warmed up in a 400 degree oven. Brings out the natural sweetness in them. Works on many vegetables including string beans, asparagus, fennel, etc.

You don't have to give up fruits as well. Stick to those higher in fiber so the sugar won't shock your system. Honeydew, cantaloupe, mango, papaya are good examples. Citrus fruits, grapes and watermelon are not, though I won't be giving them up anytime soon. Typically fruits that are safer for diabetics to eat.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    thats good stuff....I need to do the same.

Also not to mention lowering our chance of a diabetes greatly!

I'm not sure if this was your inference, but diabetes is not caused directly by eating too much sugar. Increasing your blood sugar stresses your pancreas, but doesn't cause the disease. It's more associated with obesity, and adipocytes secreting hormones and fatty acids that disrupt insulin signaling pathways. This leads to insulin resistance, which is a common cause of T2D.

Great job Eric Z. But more important than what you eat is how much you eat. Hopefully you have equally good success with portion control, and it sounds like your method to distract yourself is going to work well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i really don't know how people eat raw broccoli.
    One word: hummus. Ranch obviously tastes better but hummus is a better choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop
    Raw or steamed veggies - ugh. Roast them in the oven instead. Dump two bags of baby carrots in a bowl. Toss with some salt, pepper and olive oil in a bowl and spread out on a tray that's been warmed up in a 400 degree oven. Brings out the natural sweetness in them. Works on many vegetables including string beans, asparagus, fennel, etc.

You don't have to give up fruits as well. Stick to those higher in fiber so the sugar won't shock your system. Honeydew, cantaloupe, mango, papaya are good examples. Citrus fruits, grapes and watermelon are not, though I won't be giving them up anytime soon. Typically fruits that are safer for diabetics to eat.
    cool. i never thought of the veggies in the oven. thanks! makes sense about fruit. i just totally cut it out at the beginning so i wouldn't crave sugar.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Great job Eric Z. But more important than what you eat is how much you eat. Hopefully you have equally good success with portion control, and it sounds like your method to distract yourself is going to work well.
    thanks, man. i agree. this was just a good way for me to get my portion control down. i haven't been eating as many vegetables as a couple weeks ago and even haven't been going to the gym as regular; however, because of my portion control i'm still sticking around a good weight for me. i'm very happy about that.

so far so good. i do crave a huge mexican meal though. big time.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just stumbled on the thread. Too darn busy lately...

hey, guys! i didn't know i was addicted to sugar, but my wife noticed. i rarely had pop or candy bars, but really enjoyed juices like all natural fruit juice and oj. i also had big servings of cereal. peanut butter was a big one, too. overall i thought i was eating fairly healthily, but my portion sizes were quite big.

i've been in decent shape but found it hard to stay below 240 (6'4) even though i would hit the gym hard and have decent cardio workouts elsewhere.

my wife recommended training myself not to be addicted to sugar so i ate nothing but vegetables for a week. i had raw broccoli, celery, dark greens, cucumbers, cooked asparagas, and carrots. it was hard but got used to it after a few days- days 2 and 3 were the hardest, but surprisingly not as bad as i thought it would be. i chose not to have any fruit during this time either since i didn't even want the natural sugars since those are so good too.

after the week was over i started introducing lower sugar fruits into my diet and then after a couple days some leaner meats. i make sure i stay away from a lot of breads/starches- especially white/refined carbs/flours. when i have pasta, it's whole wheat and basically none of the sugary white cereal i had before.

the first week i dropped about 10 pounds and then a few after that the following week. i'm now at 232 and feel great. my portion size is way down and i no longer crave sugar. i seriously never thought i'd be able to say i didn't want sugar.
    Good job and thanks for sharing! To be honest as you have success dropping the pounds and eating raw veggies more often, you'll learn to like 'em. Success will modify you taste and reduce the cravings!

It sounds like what I've been doing... Minimizing simple carbs and refined sugar! Yes juice counts as a refined sugar (sort of).

i'm sure some will say "duh" of course, but just wanted to share so if someone was in my same boat, hopefully this helps.
    Too easy a set up line for me... Duh!
    btw, i hate vegetables- not all but most. asparagas was good and cooked broccoli, too. it was hard to get some of them down but was able to get used to it and make it a habit.

good luck, all!
    ez
    Once again good job and keep us posted on your continued success!

mtbr member
    great job! It is hard with our busy lives to eat in such a manner, but the results are worth it! Now only if I can reduce MY sugar intake... *chugs pepsi*

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fattchris
    great job! It is hard with our busy lives to eat in such a manner, but the results are worth it! Now only if I can reduce MY sugar intake... *chugs pepsi*

Skip the pepsi... Eat some grapes...

mtbr member
    lol. I don't actually drink Pepsi... I drink Diet. Instead of a calories, I get cancer.

mtbr member
    lol. I don't actually drink Pepsi... I drink Diet. Instead of a calories, I get cancer.
    Try trader joes unsweetened ice tea... maybe start by mixing it with diet coke 50/50 at first to wean yourself of the need.

Also those flavored costco bubbly waters with zero calories and no sweetner if you need the bubble thing. The are good if you put a little in the iced tea as well.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Better for you than the regular stuff... It still screws with your blood sugar and resultant hunger pangs later... At least it does for me. I used to have 4 or so diet cokes a day... Now none, since I know what it does to me. My only exception is going to the movies. However, no popcorn except for a few kernels here and there from the kids.

Suspect Crank-Breaker
    Greetings all,
    Well I'm new around here but will post here because My wife and I teach healing with whole foods.

Much of what we teach and have been studying for many many years shows us that sugar is super tough on our bodies. On some level we need it, from fruits and the like, but the refined sugars whether if by C&H or Agave do great damage to our health systems and promote insulin-resistance.

Hang in there, you can get off of sugar. We help people do it all the time. If you want more information on how to do it safely and create healthy alternatives just shoot me a PM or email. We'd be happy to help.

-DON
    "with malice toward none; with charity for all...." - Lincoln

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Andrade
    Greetings all,
    Well I'm new around here but will post here because My wife and I teach healing with whole foods.

Much of what we teach and have been studying for many many years shows us that sugar is super tough on our bodies. On some level we need it, from fruits and the like, but the refined sugars whether if by C&H or Agave do great damage to our health systems and promote insulin-resistance.

Hang in there, you can get off of sugar. We help people do it all the time. If you want more information on how to do it safely and create healthy alternatives just shoot me a PM or email. We'd be happy to help.

-DON
    thanks, don. yeah, it's amazing how you don't need sugar and how i really don't even want it anymore. i still have cravings, but it's getting so much easier. wheni crave it, a piece of fruit does the job. i never thought i'd be at this point.

so far so good. i haven't lost anymore weight since i've started this new habit and i'm happy since i thought i would gain when i re-introduced fruits and whole grains. interesting how the body works.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Suspect Crank-Breaker
    Good to hear Brother! God for you

Here is a really great and quite long article about insulin resistance. When I got to the part about how our bodies start to eat muscle instead of fat because of the effects of too many refined carbohydrates and sugars I was stunned.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-one.aspx

Muscle weighs WAY more than fat! Keep the muscle

Glad your doing great.

-DON

mtbr member
    man, this getting rid of sugar thing has been fantastic. as i've said before, i still eat foods with sugar in it, but my portion size is way down and i'm staying totally away from sugary drinks and white carbs (with the exception of my son's chocolate silk soymilk once in a while).

the parts that's most surprising is how i really haven't been doing cardio because of my heel problem and i'm still losing weight.

i really haven't kept track of my weight a ton over the past few years. i know i weighed 275+ and i think remember a 295 but find that hard to believe since i really don't know what scale i was using. i got down into the 240s pretty easily and then flucuated anywhere from 240 to high 250s for months- maybe even a year. i would go on a business trip or get sick and then fall off the wagon with eating right and exercising. i would notice myself not fluctuate a ton because i think my body was pretty efficient pre-falling off the wagon. then i would continue not eating right and then would gain 10 pounds easily in the next couple weeks.

since i was hovering in the mid-240s, i really didn't know what else to do to get away from this plateau- especially since i couldn't do much cardio because of my heel. that's when my wife recommended to get rid of sugars and only eat veggies for a week (as i described in my opening thread post). i was 245 and then a week later i was 235. i slowly introduced small portions of fruits and other similar carbs and proteins throughout the next week and i was around 232. i hovered around 232-234 for about 4 days and then now i'm at 228.4 as of this morning.

as i mentioned, i haven't been doing any cardio since i'm trying to get my heel better. i still go to the gym and workout by lifting and doing core work. i can't wait until i can start buring more calories by exercise and still eating this healthfully.

thanks for the encouragement, everyone. this is a lot of fun!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    man, this getting rid of sugar thing has been fantastic. as i've said before, i still eat foods with sugar in it, but my portion size is way down and i'm staying totally away from sugary drinks and white carbs (with the exception of my son's chocolate silk soymilk once in a while).

the parts that's most surprising is how i really haven't been doing cardio because of my heel problem and i'm still losing weight.

i really haven't kept track of my weight a ton over the past few years. i know i weighed 275+ and i think remember a 295 but find that hard to believe since i really don't know what scale i was using. i got down into the 240s pretty easily and then flucuated anywhere from 240 to high 250s for months- maybe even a year. i would go on a business trip or get sick and then fall off the wagon with eating right and exercising. i would notice myself not fluctuate a ton because i think my body was pretty efficient pre-falling off the wagon. then i would continue not eating right and then would gain 10 pounds easily in the next couple weeks.

since i was hovering in the mid-240s, i really didn't know what else to do to get away from this plateau- especially since i couldn't do much cardio because of my heel. that's when my wife recommended to get rid of sugars and only eat veggies for a week (as i described in my opening thread post). i was 245 and then a week later i was 235. i slowly introduced small portions of fruits and other similar carbs and proteins throughout the next week and i was around 232. i hovered around 232-234 for about 4 days and then now i'm at 228.4 as of this morning.

as i mentioned, i haven't been doing any cardio since i'm trying to get my heel better. i still go to the gym and workout by lifting and doing core work. i can't wait until i can start buring more calories by exercise and still eating this healthfully.

thanks for the encouragement, everyone. this is a lot of fun!

Outstanding! Your experience mirrors mine well!

Keep it up and they'll continue to fall off and you'll be amazed how much your hill climbing will improve! Imagine having to cycle up a hill with a sack of fertilizer on your back! Once it's gone hills get WAY easier!

And I have to throw one more in...

Duh!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn
    Outstanding! Your experience mirrors mine well!

Keep it up and they'll continue to fall off and you'll be amazed how much your hill climbing will improve! Imagine having to cycle up a hill with a sack of fertilizer on your back! Once it's gone hills get WAY easier!

And I have to throw one more in...

Duh!
    thanks! sometimes at the gym i would carry a 45lb plate around and think this is the extra weight i had (probably more)- no wonder my frickin heel was hurting!

my blood pressure even went down a lot and i just had a bood test this morning for work- i'm looking forward to see my LDL and HDL results!

now i just have to take it easy tonight at dinner and over the weekend with halloween parties.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Suspect Crank-Breaker
    So great Brother, I am happy to hear you are continuing to explore your diet and moods and how you feel in all aspects of life and even coming on and off the scale.

Keep up the awesome work!

Wishing you Goodness and Health in every moment of your life

-DON

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks! sometimes at the gym i would carry a 45lb plate around and think this is the extra weight i had (probably more)- no wonder my frickin heel was hurting!

my blood pressure even went down a lot and i just had a bood test this morning for work- i'm looking forward to see my LDL and HDL results!

now i just have to take it easy tonight at dinner and over the weekend with halloween parties.
    Drink wine in moderation. Skip the candy and have a protein bar and fruit! Think "I want to be a hill climbing monster and they don't eat this crap!".

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Skim milk, wheat bread

Watch out for "Skim" and "Non Fat" dairy products They are loaded with sugar, I swithched to low fat milk and yogurt to reduce sugar. Also read the labels on the wheat bread you are buying. Make sure they are "Whole Grain" and higher in fiber than in sugar. Watch for the trick labeling like "multi grain" and "whole wheat". Ezekial 4:9 bread is really good and so is Miltons Whole Grain(available at Costco at least in Southern California).

I too have a sugar addiction and this time of year it seems like their is candy everywhere. I Also love pizza and beer. Other than that I eat pretty healthy. I limit myself to 2 beers a week, but it is usually like 2 beers per month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn
    Drink wine in moderation. Skip the candy and have a protein bar and fruit! Think "I want to be a hill climbing monster and they don't eat this crap!".
    thanks for the tips. not a fan of wine. i might have a beer but definitely not getting crazy. for sure fruit is my route for a sweet fix- that's easy now and i'm convincing myself it will be that way this weekend too! =)
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scjohn
    Skim milk, wheat bread

Watch out for "Skim" and "Non Fat" dairy products They are loaded with sugar, I swithched to low fat milk and yogurt to reduce sugar. Also read the labels on the wheat bread you are buying. Make sure they are "Whole Grain" and higher in fiber than in sugar. Watch for the trick labeling like "multi grain" and "whole wheat". Ezekial 4:9 bread is really good and so is Miltons Whole Grain(available at Costco at least in Southern California).

I too have a sugar addiction and this time of year it seems like their is candy everywhere. I Also love pizza and beer. Other than that I eat pretty healthy. I limit myself to 2 beers a week, but it is usually like 2 beers per month.
    i'm definitely aware of the misleading labels and sugar amounts in some dairy products. my wife follows all of that stuff- especially for our son. i just checked my whole wheat 100% whole grain bread and it's 4g sugar and 3g fiber- i'll have to watch out for that next time. thanks for the tip!

pizza and beer are favorites of mine too. i can still eat pizza but just not half of a family size- 2-4 pieces and that's enough now. i truly believe everything is good in moderation.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    I find that I can learn to like anything, and that taste is much more malleable than most people think. If I just stick with something my tastes change, it’s not just a matter of suffering forever.

I had to cut salt radically for a medical reason years ago and now that I don’t I still find a lot of food nearly inedible because of the amount of salt. I never ate fish growing up, no one in my family does still, but I made an effort years ago and now I love it and eat it all the time. It took quite a while, it didn’t happen overnight.

Eat vegetables non-stop for a couple months, not just occasionally, and see if you don’t learn to love them.

bb

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Since weening off the carbs, I too have developed a sweet tooth. Ive never had one before, but the past few months my body has been craving sugar.

Its going to take a bit of self dicipline me thinks.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo_x
    I find that I can learn to like anything, and that taste is much more malleable than most people think. If I just stick with something my tastes change, itís not just a matter of suffering forever.

I had to cut salt radically for a medical reason years ago and now that I donít I still find a lot of food nearly inedible because of the amount of salt. I never ate fish growing up, no one in my family does still, but I made an effort years ago and now I love it and eat it all the time. It took quite a while, it didnít happen overnight.

Eat vegetables non-stop for a couple months, not just occasionally, and see if you donít learn to love them.

bb
    +1

My experience has been the same! I now eat a ton of raw veggies and fruit for meal/snacks and enjoy it. Knowing it's good for my body and will continue to allow me to enjoy a physically active life more and longer also helps "good for you" things taste better to me.

On a side note, I used to drive by fast food places and the smell was appetizing. Now the smell is just disgusting!

mtbr member
    Your no sugar diet is close to what I have been educated by a nutritionist to stay on.

I had a mild heart attack and found out I am diabetic about 2 1/2 months ago.

My new diet consist of 60 grams of carbs per meal and and 2 snacks of 30 grams of carbs.

I have been label reading and carb counting for months now and have found you really have to watch what you eat. Just because it says healthy or implies its good for you doesn't mean it is.

Sugar free Jello is an excellent snack, it has the fruit taste but is not bad at all, I like the cherry-black cherry and the strawberry acia flavors.

Also DiGornio has a crispy flat bread pizza that is tasty as well, I add a small amount of Hormel turkey pepperoni and low sodium sargento cheese to boost the toppings.

The whole pizza is 340 callories, 72 grams carbs, and 9 grams sugar, not bad for pizza, I usually eat 4 of the six slices and save the others for a snack.

I also used to be a Coke freak, I would drink only coke and would have as many as 6 per day. Now I drink maybe 3 cokes but I drink diet coke with splenda, or diet mtn dew, I cant tell the difference in the mtn dew.

For pb&j I have went to all natural peanut butter, looks gross when it separates, but taste darn good when mixed with smuckers sugar free strawberry preserves, they also have a sugar free peach preserves, both are very good.

The preservers are good on toast as well and I have found a bread that is great for diabetics also, its Sara Lee brand called 45 calories & delightful 100% whole wheat with honey.

It has only 1 gram of sugar and 7 grams of carbs per slice, thats about half of most whole wheat breads and about 1/4 of white bread.

I have lost about 35 lbs and 4" around my waist, my wife says I lost alot in my face and neck also. I think I would have lost more lbs but my riding has gained me muscle in my lower body, I have gained some good definition in my thighs and am starting to get a little heart shape to my calves.

Keep up the good eating, you don't wanna become diabetic, 5 shots a day SSSSUUUUXXXXX!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonerz28
    I have lost about 35 lbs and 4" around my waist, my wife says I lost alot in my face and neck also. I think I would have lost more lbs but my riding has gained me muscle in my lower body, I have gained some good definition in my thighs and am starting to get a little heart shape to my calves.

Keep up the good eating, you don't wanna become diabetic, 5 shots a day SSSSUUUUXXXXX!!!!!!!!!
    congrats! feels good, doesn't it? yeah, being diabetic sucks. my dad had type 1 took shots (luckily only one or two) for 35 years. my blood pressure was higher than i would like- around 145/93 some days and then 138/88 other days. my cholesterol was also higher just a year ago, too- about 185 but my ldl was 102 i think.

i recently had some biometrics done for work and found my bp to be 129/79 and my cholesterol was 145 (ldl being 75 now). feels good!

i haven't been eating the healthiest for the last couple weeks, but not bad either- just a lot once in a while. i was 226 thursday morning- i'll weigh myself again tomorrow when i'm at the gym- i didn't make it these past couple days.

keep it up, all!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Eat vegetables non-stop for a couple months, not just occasionally, and see if you donít learn to love them
    i'm sure eating veggies more often for a while will help me liking it- just hasn't happened yet. carrots are easy to like- it's always one of the more sugary vegetables so it makes sense why. i want to be a good example for my son too (3 years old) so i think broccoli snacks are in order. my wife does a fantastic job already making sure he has a balanced diet.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    i'm sure eating veggies more often for a while will help me liking it- just hasn't happened yet. carrots are easy to like- it's always one of the more sugary vegetables so it makes sense why. i want to be a good example for my son too (3 years old) so i think broccoli snacks are in order. my wife does a fantastic job already making sure he has a balanced diet.
    What I meant to say there is that total immersion works wonders, sort of a variation of my "rip the band-aid off" theory of life. For me, easing into something often just makes it painful and more drawn out most of the time.

If you are dabbling at eating something you donít like (say, vegetables) alternating with something bad for you that you do like (letís call it crap) the vegetables will always lose in comparison. Itís hard not to think of the vegetables as the suffering part and the crap as the reward. If youíre eating only vegetables and things that are really good for you for a while your perspective changes. I then find it easier to find balance.

bb

mtbr member
    What I meant to say there is that total immersion works wonders, sort of a variation of my "rip the band-aid off" theory of life. For me, easing into something often just makes it painful and more drawn out most of the time.

If you are dabbling at eating something you donít like (say, vegetables) alternating with something bad for you that you do like (letís call it crap) the vegetables will always lose in comparison. Itís hard not to think of the vegetables as the suffering part and the crap as the reward. If youíre eating only vegetables and things that are really good for you for a while your perspective changes. I then find it easier to find balance.

bb
    i know what you mean. i should try to fully immerse myself with some veggies. i've been pretty proud of myself on getting my portion size down.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870