mtbr member

Success stories on XT hubs?

It seems like there are so many threads on here from people blowing up XT freehubs but I'm curious how many people have years of trouble-free riding on XT hubs.

The new ones have 36pts of engagement and are quite affordable.

I'm looking at a wheelset for my cross bike using XT hubs and think I'll get by fine since I'll be running taller gearing, reducing the torque load on the rear hub. 38/28 is my lowest gear, paired with 180mm cranks. The engagement points are better than low end DT Swiss and Hope Hubs at a fraction of the price and I'd rather spend the money on a burlier rim since my cyclocross bike will be put through its paces on singletrack until I get a 29er cross country bike built up.

My old XC bike had vintage XT hubs and I never had any issues running them singlespeed or 1x9, so I'm not sure if quality went down or if I'm just lucky. Never ran a granny ring but lots of 32/34 climbing, also with 180mm cranks.

Have you been thrashing XT hubs without any issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a 2011 Enduro with Mavic rims laced to an XT hub on the rear. Probably 800-850 miles on it. I'm 6' 6" and 275-280 lbs and I ride hard 4-6 times per week typically.

Haven't had any issues at all with the hub.

I have to keep re tightening my front 36T sprocket fasteners though. I need to switch them out to something more robust, I think.

mtbr member
    I've been riding XT hubs for years on a couple different bikes with no issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec d View Post
    I have to keep re tightening my front 36T sprocket fasteners though. I need to switch them out to something more robust, I think.
    I've had great luck with Truvativ chainring bolts. Not only do they seem to hold better than generic steel/alloy chainring bolts, but they're also dual allen wrench so no need for special tools. Just separate 5mm and 6mm allen wrenches.

Thanks for the responses!

mtbr member
    Anybody else?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nope, I hate XT hubs. I've broken 5+ freehubs before giving up and getting a dt swiss hub.

Former Bike Wrench
    I never had any issues with the old M756 six bolt XT's and even older M750 XT's. But then I'm not someone who blows up freehub bodies either. I actually went with the SLX rear hub on a wheel I recently built (using on a single speed right now) as it uses the heavy duty "29er" 32 poe freehub and a cro-mo steel axle like the older XT's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

XT hubs

Sorry, I gave up on XT and other shimano rear hubs 2 years ago. Everytime I got on the real steep stuff, they would stripped out (my last one blew on the first ride). Switched to DT swiss and have had no problems. Perhpas the new version is better.

mtbr member
    Update on here, I ordered a set of Velocity Chukkers laced to SLX hubs for my commuter/cyclocross bike.

32 points of engagement and the upgraded 29er freewheel at a slight weight penalty relative to the XT hubs. I've heard the seals arent as robust but looseball hubs dont take long to strip, clean, and repack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have had success with xt hubs. About 5 years with no problems. In hilly, rocky sw pa.