Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

stupid fragile crankset

I am looking for a good set of cranks. 6'5" and 280 lbs. Any suggestions?
    Visit Ted's Broken Bike and Refurbished Unicycle Emporium

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i weight 260 and have had great luck with truvative stylos on both my am/fr and my xc bike.

if i did it again i would probably go shimano SLX as they seem pretty light but i'm sure are very strong. DH strong

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    shimano SLX or XT is what i'd go for... can get em for 100 and 150 aprox if you look... that includes the BB...

sir crackien what model stylo you using (newer 2 peice?) got an older square taper and it's doing fine... but not the siffest thing out there for sure
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Dirt Deviant
    I'd go SLX. I have the double and the triple model. Both are stiff cranks, but the double has steel inserts for the pedals, better if you lean more towards the aggressive side of riding.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Making fat cool since '71
    It is super freakin tough to beat the XT cranks for 80% (made up number...) of the riding most of us will ever do. Having said that...i'm a huge fan of my Race Face Atlas AM cranks on my RFX. They are in the middle of the whole light/heavy thing. I've taken them off road gaps, jammed up/through rock sections at a crawl where there are high side loads/shifts/etc and they are stiff as hell. A bit heavy for a pure XC rig IMO. The bearings are average and as with *every* external BB set-up you should have a good shop face your BB to ensure the faces are perfectly aligned.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I'm riding Middleburns because they're supposed to be really strong and stiff. They seem great to me, but I've never really had a problem with cranks. I'm using square tapers. The way I heard it, Middleburns are like the Thomson of cranks, so I went for it.

bb

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    donalson i have ridden the past two generations of the 2-piece stylos. i pretty much love them and i don't plan on replacing it unless i get more money or i break/bend. that being said i will probably end up needing to replace them sometime this summer as they will be used outside of their intended purpose.

middleburns are great cranks but EXPENSIVE! and do they make a two piece version yet? that would be an awesome crank

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i have shimano hone's with 2 rings, has a chromoly axle and steel pedal inserts. i think i opted for the 2 ring over the 3 because the 3 had an aluminum axle instead. these cranks are really nice and stiff. also have an old square taper set of race face turbine forged something form the 90's that are equally stiff and 180mm.

chain reaction cycles in the uk has really good prices on shimano stuff, even with shipping to the US. i would look there if you want shimano. i think they even have xt's in 180mm.

also, sir crackien recommended stylo's. i'm guessing he is not running the isis stylo, as the isis version i have is the flexiest crank i've ever ridden. i'm 6'4" and about 275.

Mike

mtbr member
    Yes, they are expensive. I got mine used on ebay, from australia actually. I think because someone decided that square tapers weren't cool anymore.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha i'd LOVE a set of middleburns to go with my Phil wood SS bb
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Hip
    mtbr member
    I have Race Face Dioboulis....No problems. I did some drops to 6' and jump my bike.

mtbr member
    I have been eyballing those and the Holzfeller and the Saints. I am leaning towrds the Diabolus at this point. How big are you? At 280lbs and dropping four feet occassionally I find myself cringing in fear like a virgin in her first scene with John Holmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hip
    I have Race Face Dioboulis....No problems. I did some drops to 6' and jump my bike.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    personally i would not buy the diabolus as they are seriously over built, and wicked heavy. the new saints are alot nicer than the older one as they are both stronger and lighter.

in reality if you are keeping it about 4 feet or so then the new SLX stuff will last just fine as would the xt.

i have done many 4 foot drops even on my stylo cranks and i weight in at 260 without gear and i normally carry my fair share of stuff seeing no one else i ride with does.

Making fat cool since '71
    Agreed with crackien. XT will take you pretty damn big as will Atlas AM cranks. I regularly go well over 6 foot and top out about 15 feet now for drops and 15-18 foot gaps on the Atlas AM cranks. Diabolus have their place, but in reality most of us will never get there.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Hip
    mtbr member
    I bought them when I was 270. I am 230 now. They are heavy but I dont care...I trust them to take what I dish out. If weight is a concern then definitly go with these guys recomondations. They know their stuff and have taught me a lot.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have put (2007) Race Face Evolve DH cranks on both my son's bike and mine (Giant Reign). We both abuse cranks for different reasons. I'm heavy (260lbs to 300lbs) and he's just a bit of an animal. The RF Evolve DH cranks have been bomber for both of us. I also have recently installed a set of RF Evolve XC (2008) on a hardtail. They are not as robust looking as the Evolve DH and frankly look a little more slender than the 2007 Evolve XC cranks, so I need to give them a little more time/use before I will consider pronouncing them 'clyde-friendly'.

Hip
    mtbr member
    I should add I wanted 165mm's and not many cranks come in 165 as far as I could tell when looking. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    I am ONLY...240 lb but Saints, Atlas and now Middleburn been very good to me.
    I think though its a little more about how you ride and less about your weight.

Dirt Deviant
    I just swapped out the LX cranks on my Ibex Ignition for the SLX double and I swear I can tell a slight difference in stiffness. Could be NBS, but I swear I can tell the difference.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i still wonder how much of the "crank flex" realy is from BB flex... just thinking out loud... i won't know till I try a stiffer crank I suppose haha
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Dirt Deviant
    Good call....I prolly should have mentioned that I also changed out the BB to a Hope BB when I put the SLX doubles on........= )

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm not talking specificly the BB spindle but a mix of everything down at the bottom bracket on the bike itself... if i stand on my the pedal i can see the entire BB move over a dad
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I am now making it more difficult by including the desire for 180mm cranks. This leaves only a few options including the Altas AM and the Shimano XT. Not to thrilled about the Middleburn or Zinn stuff nor do I want to do a BMX conversion thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Atlas AM are a lot stronger than XT. Race Face Deus is the crank that's on par with XT (strength and weight). The Atlas AM is closer in strength to a DH crank than it is to an XC crank...

mtbr member
    Just get the XT's, I"ve got them in 180mm and I'm 270 pounds. After trying all sorts of other stuff over the years from profile BMX cranks and all sorts of DH stuff, have come back to XT's and they can't be beaten. They are boring and common, which I don't like (ha ha) but there's nothing better out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast