Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Stupid Clyde Question

So I did my first real trail ride with some friends on my new Stock Camber Comp this weekend. We rode for about an hour and a half which was WAY more than I thought I'd be able to handle first time out. Anyway, I woke up this morning and I feel like I've been prison raped.
    Literally I can hardly sit down. My 7 year old son is asking me why I'm standing up at breakfast.

So two parts to the question. My pals all tell me "yeah the sore a$$ part takes some time, everyone gets it, it goes away soon." But my buddies are all a buck fifty wet. I'm tipping 300 at 6'6".

Part one of question is :
    Guys my size, whats your experience been like time wise before your butt bones stop hurting ?

Part two:

Are there any saddles that are particularly better for us big boys ?

If this has been answered a million times I apologize. I used the search and couldn't find much relevant on saddles to Clydes. And "prison raped" turned up little useful content as well...

What could go wrong ...
    have you tried adjusting the saddle ... it might be tipped down or too far back etc
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yep I think... The guy at the LBS did a fitting. Used the square and level, set the seat correctly and height adjusted to the 30 degree leg bend thing... It seemed like a proper fitting session. Didn't really start hurting till this morning. I've got some of those gel filled underpants coming. That might help some. But my buddy who knows mtb's was explaining how the saddle is designed to fit your bones and keep the blood flowing nd such and I figured my bones are alot bigger than the average bear.

What could go wrong ...
    ok and yes a pair of cycling shorts will help a lot
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Propaganda Lover
    Aug 2013
    Make sure your sit bones aren't on the outside of the saddle. Some people need wider or narrower, maybe to a lesser extent shorter or longer.

Got a WTB Rocket V on my DS stock, would be more comfortable to kick my own butt repeatedly than to sit and ride on it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've gone through a few seats. The serfas RX is my latest. (just put it on this weekend). I was very impressed. My butt wasn't nearly as sore. I will say that it does take a few rides for your butt to adjust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Outside of the saddle...yes. The specialized stock seat feels like a log splitter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Make sure your sit bones aren't on the outside of the saddle. Some people need wider or narrower, maybe to a lesser extent shorter or longer.

Got a WTB Rocket V on my DS stock, would be more comfortable to kick my own butt repeatedly than to sit and ride on it...
    +1 on the Rocket V. Didn't like the stock saddles on my Treks. 6'7" 320 for reference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Which Rocket V are you guys running ? The SLT, Comp, or race ? The SLT looks the most comfortable but also over 100$. The Comps are cheap but look mediaeval.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think more time in the seat might be good if this is your first real ride. Takes some extra mental notes form a few rides before you start buying parts. That way you only have to buy parts once. I just got back on a bike this year and it was uncomfortable the first couple rides, but now I will be on the bike 1-1.5h with no problems. Also take advantage of positioning your body correctly on descents and bumpy parts, it will give your butt a break every now and then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The///Man : You bring up a good point. This was my first ride on this bike. I was expecting to have to change out a bunch of stuff when I got a bike but damn... the Camber Comp is pretty well equipped as it is. There is sage wisdom in what you say. I am going to give the gel filled drawers a shot on a few more rides before I grab anything part wise. Maybe once I can feel my narns again they will be able to take the abuse

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I forgot to mention, buy some good padded shorts. I have a pair of FOX MTB shorts I ride in and they have held up great. A little pricey, but they have served me well.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Get fitted for a saddle. Have your sit bones measured and stop guessing at which seat to get.

Feeling like you have dropped the soap in prison means you are sitting on you coxxyc and doing it for very long will leave you in paind for a VERY LONG TIME as you can bruise, dislocate or even crack the coxxyc.

Padded shorts will NOT make a seat that is too narrow feel any better.

I am not speaking "out of my ass" as I am dealing with a damaged coxxyc myself from sitting in a crappy chair at work. You seat is either too narrow, or you are not sitting correctly on the seat. I have to make a conscience effort to roll my pelvis back so the sit bones are doing the work. Remember, you are not suppose to be sitting on the bike like you sit at your dinner table. The thing is called a SADDLE because you sit on it more like a saddle.

I hope you get it sorted quickly.... this kind of pain SUCKS. FWIW, riding my bike does NOT hurt even my damaged tailbone... I can ride for hours and be 100% okay. I can sit on a normal chain for 30 minutes and be in extreme pain when I stand up.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Propaganda Lover
    Aug 2013
    IIRC, it's a 'Race', I love the slightly smaller nose, but it's about an inch narrower in the back than the Pure V on my rides now--they treat me much better.

Agree 100% with Knight above. I certainly wouldn't ever discourage someone from getting fitted by a pro.

(You meant chair, not chain, right? )

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Go and speak to the Specialized shop and they should be able to fit you for a saddle - they do different widths and can measure it. Your sit bones aren't much different despite your size.
    The cycling shorts make a huge difference, as does getting more miles in. Just make sure to wear the cycling shorts next to your skin otherwise your drawers will cause you awful pain.

mtbr member
    +1 for fitted Specialized saddle. I had 3 on 3 different bikes and would ride for hours. The WTB Rocket V is good too, have done some long rides on them and been okay. But once it's smoked, I'm getting another Specialized.

Some saddles offer demo's, and I believe WTB is one of them. Clearly the best way to find out is by using it.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    All good advice. I'm pretty sure I am sitting right. my tailbone/coccyx isn't ever in contact. It's the two bottom lobes of my pelvis. Let's call them the "either side of the taint bones". Not sure what sit bones are but I'm betting thats them.
    So what do they have to do to set you up with a measured seat ? That will dictate where I need to go. The Specialized shop has some dude who looks like the Drummer from Iron Maiden, and the other store I like has a hot chick with long legs. If getting measured for a seat involves running a measuring tape on my john thomas I know which store I need to go to....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dashmatrix View Post
    Which Rocket V are you guys running ? The SLT, Comp, or race ? The SLT looks the most comfortable but also over 100$. The Comps are cheap but look mediaeval.
    This one:
    Amazon.com: WTB Rocket V Race Bicycle Saddle, Black: Sports & Outdoors

43 bucks shipped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm going to say if you're 6'6" and 300lbs you'll need a seat wider than 127mm. As noted, get your sit bones measured. I'm 6'4" and 290lbs and have a 155mm wide seat. They just have you sit on a pad and it shows where the bones contact the pad and take the measurement. Check with the Specialized shop, they might let you try it out and exchange it for another seat.

mtbr member
    240lbs myself. If I don't ride for a week, I feel really sore after about an hour. I like the stock specialized seat on my stumpy. If its going to be a long rode, I double up on the gel. The padded underwear gel that goes under regular shorts, and a pair of fox riding shorts. Feels bulky at first, but zero ass pain. However, if the seat doesn't fit, the pain will always be there.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 'bicycle butt' phase (for me) lasted a long time before easing up. It got to be somewhat bearable after a few weeks, but actually took years before I didn't think about it unless I'm on an extended climb (several miles). Probably different for everyone, but that is my story.

Saddles are a bit like helmets in that it's generally not possible to accurately predict what will feel great to an individual. Knowing if your sit bones are narrow, wide, or in between is a good starting point. Avoid saddles with thick padding as the extra padding is generally unnecessary and can restrict circulation. A Brooks leather saddle has no padding at all, just hard leather, and it is one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever used. You can rap it with a knuckle, and it makes a "knock" sound.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Getting measure for a saddle isn't perfect, but if you need a 155mm wide and you are riding on a 130mm, you won't be comfortable and can actually hurt yourself. I actually ride a 155mm Specialized Milano Gel... not a cool racy saddle, but it works. I am just about to try something new, but it will still be wide like 155...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah man. Get fitted or see if you can demo a few seats. You never know what size is best for you til then. I'm 6'5" and 330ish and assumed I needed a wider seat. I demoed a Speshy 155mm and found it was too wide. I now ride WTB Pure V's on all my bikes which is a 145mm seat. I can ride for hours and all good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dashmatrix View Post
    So I did my first real trail ride with some friends on my new Stock Camber Comp this weekend. We rode for about an hour and a half which was WAY more than I thought I'd be able to handle first time out. Anyway, I woke up this morning and I feel like I've been prison raped.
    Literally I can hardly sit down. My 7 year old son is asking me why I'm standing up at breakfast.

So two parts to the question. My pals all tell me "yeah the sore a$$ part takes some time, everyone gets it, it goes away soon." But my buddies are all a buck fifty wet. I'm tipping 300 at 6'6".

Part one of question is :
    Guys my size, whats your experience been like time wise before your butt bones stop hurting ?

Part two:

Are there any saddles that are particularly better for us big boys ?

If this has been answered a million times I apologize. I used the search and couldn't find much relevant on saddles to Clydes. And "prison raped" turned up little useful content as well...
    Dude I live on my bike, literally and have since 2004 only traveling around. I am 6'7" at 270 pounds and the first two year riding around this much my ass would get sore about once a month. In about 2006-07 I was down in Cavallino Italy at a bazaar just walking around with my rig before heading over to the camp site and some joker (vendor) I guess could tell I was walking like John Wayne and told me I needed a new saddle. Figured him to be full of it because he was selling all this bike stuff. So I purchased a cheap Sella Italia for like €5 and have been using similar designs since then from the same firm and never walked like John Wayne since then.

Also try standing up more when you ride.

Currently I have this one.
    http://media1.roseversand.de/product.../1768095_1.jpg

local trails rider
    An hour and a half for a first outing?

No wonder you are sore!

From what I read from your posts, it sounds like you are hurting in the "right" places: pressure on those lowest protuberances of the hip bone. That means there's a good chance the seat is about the right size and in a pretty good position.

Keep your rides shorter, until things improve. Maybe way shorter. Don't cause too much hurt on yourself.
    When going over bumps, use your legs to support some or all of the weight that would otherwise be on the sit bones.
    Padded shorts help most people - but they will not eliminate the "not-used-to-riding" pains.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast