Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpy FSR clydeworthy???

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  rzozaya1969 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Very close to putting the plastic down on a SJ Expert in XL size.
I'm currently weighing in at 240 @ 6'3.

I'm a reasonably smooth (read timid/cautious) rider, being a roadie in a previous life, now enjoying enduros and the tailored trails in my local area.

I've had no breakage dramas with my 10 year old Zaskar, but it's giving my back some grief on the longer hauls (and i'm feeling confident enough to let loose on some one to two foot drops - yeeha).

Is the spesh up to the task of hauling my carcase around the place, or should I work some more O.T. and save up for a Yeti 575 (aprox 1000 more)?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Mark:thumbsup:

#2 ·
I'm 6' 230 and I ride an FSR Expert. I love it. My only complaint is that the bottom bracket is a little low. When I'm not careful cornering, my pedal will hit the ground. The pedal only nicks the ground, nothing I haven't been able to control yet. The Avid Juicy's screech like hell at the end of a long descent but I think that's common knowledge nowadays.

Good luck with your quest!

#4 ·
The Specialized Stumpjumper FSR is definitely clydeworthy. The Yeti is not. I am 6'4" and weigh 240 lbs. XC-style rider.

I am riding an '06 Stumpy FSR XL and loving life. I bought it in November '05. I have approximately 800 miles on it. All off road, XC-style riding. It is an extremely efficient machine, pedaling or pumping through hills.

I owned a Yeti 575 XL and rode the tar out of it for nearly ten months. The suspension will eat up anything you throw at it, but it did not seem to be nearly as efficient when pedaling seated and hitting rollers.

No comparison.

Michael

P.S. No, I ain't hating on Yeti. I just bought my wife an '06 AS-Rsl (carbon chainstays). They just DO NOT make a legitimate clyde-worthy cross country bike.

#5 ·
Thanks people.

I figured that the 575 wouldn't be quite as quick given it's extra travel. I'm not sure that I'd utilise it. It is a very smooth looking machine however.

I checked out the SJ Expert at the LBS this arvo and it's a sweet looking rig.

Despite being a clyde, I still get a blast out of climbing, even if it is slowly.... and from what I can tell the stumpy seems to be on the money.

My main concern however, was the Fox shock handling my weight (240).
I've never had a FS bike before and it is a little daunting.

Cheers.

#6 ·
The Fox will handle you, but you may have to have it serviced a little more often than a guy 70 lbs lighter. No worries there. Also, 575 is not recomended for those ofer 235. your 5 lbs shouldnt make too big a difference, but do you really want to be riding at the limit of the bike, knowing they may not have to warranty it if you break something? Enjoy your bike

Matt

#7 · (Edited)
You can run that fox shock up to 300psi (on my FSR XC, I've found I run the same psi as body weight, so you'll have some room to spare). A coil spring might be a bit more ideal, but my float r propedal works fine for me...

The only thing you may need to upgrade after some time is that rear hub. I haven't had a ton of luck with shimano freehubs -- I've cracked one and made 2 freeze up... Judging from the reviews, I'm not the only one... Also I had to replace my seat after bending the rails -- but my FSRxc came with steel rails -- the SJ should come with cromoly rails which should be a bit stronger...

#8 ·
done deal.

Once again, thanks for the input.

I test rode the Stumpy Expert this arvo at the LBS. (put in about half an hour around the carpark - which has some small hills in it).

Never having ridden a FS bike before, it was a revelation. On the full plush setting, it felt like I was sitting in a comfy lounge chair - very different from what I'm used to. The Pro Pedal felt great, and I was blown away by how the bike handled with both shocks locked out.

What I really loved was the adjustability of the TALAS. Given that I'm riding with about 55mm of travel in my old Bomber Z2's, the wound down 90mm felt great, having a definite XC feel, just busting to fly. When extended to the full 130mm, the whole bike transformed to lay back city - very smooth.

Anyway, the card came out and I should be on the ride by Friday afternoon.

Got the weekend off, so I guess I'll have sore legs on Monday!

For the record, the XL SJ Expert, in stock trim with reflectors and bell weighed in at 28.8pounds. Pretty good considering my '96 Zaskar with fast wheels, Ti saddle etc, hits the scales at 27.5.

Can't wait to hit the trail.......:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.