mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Stronger rear wheel

I have a friend who is 6'+ and weighs 240+ lbs. He has a bottom-end Trek model (Trek Bicycle)

and this is what he told me:

Ive had my bearings replaced 4 times already in the past 6 months. I disintegrated them twice.

I don't expect much from low-end components but it seems that the bike shop he goes to wants to keep him coming back for repairs instead of recommending something that will last him a long time. This is where I turn to you guys. I need to get him a good rear wheel that will support v-brakes and last him a while. Budget is maybe $200--the less the better; is this possible for a custom/pre-built? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Subscribing because I'm 6'2" 240+ and have a bottom end Trek...

Only 100 miles on the bike though... (Looking around nervously.)
    Andrew
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 6, 21.5", Shimano DEORE M530 Pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    There isn't much wrong with the stock wheel. 36 spokes tends to give the strongest build and those hubs have been used for years. Given that he isn't that heavy it is going to be user or mechanical error that is trashing the bearings. Is he thrashing the bike on downhills? What are the shop telling him every time? Are they charging him for the repairs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It would be good to know more about the damage. Freehub bearings, main bearings, which side, pitting? I know I've pitted bearings really fast in formula hubs, just junk bearings. If they put a good set of bearings back in though, it should be lasting longer.

All in all, a good wheelset is always a great investment. The linked below would be my recomendation for that price range. Rims are very strong, XT hubs are fairly durable although big guys can have problems with freehubs breaking. Depends on what you're riding and your riding style.

Shimano Deore Disc/Rhyno Lite Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Picked up one of these awhile back:
    Forté Terramax 26" Rear Wheel - Bike Wheels / Rims / Wheel Accessories
    and have about 200 miles on it so far.
    I stand about 6', and weigh in at 240 as well, so....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As a lifelong clyde 240 is my lean body weight. 275 right now.
    240 is nothing. There are other issues with those wheels. I would maybe consider a new rear wheel using a quality Shimano hub or equal and you should have no problems.
    The freehub in the rear and spokes are what I destroy(climbing!).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's what he said after showing your posts:

its says back bearing replacement. they tell me its not my fault its just mechanical error cause something came loose. They charge me each time. And I thrash down hill and uphill. I thrash in the highest gear up hill a lot. That might be the reason.

thank you for the suggestions and posts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I, 255lbs, notice on my "lower end" bikes, ex redline monocog, d440, etc, that I'm force to adj the wheel bearing tension most every ride.
    Have him learn proper wheel bearing and spoke maintenance and they'll last longer for certain.
    If you do this now you may be able to avoid spending any more money and not have to buy a new wheel at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Learn to do proper bearing adjustment so this can be checked before a ride. They should not be coming loose. As for thrashing the bike - it is an entry level bike recommended for rough pavement or smooth trails. Using the bike outside what it is designed for will see it break regularly.
    Save your cash and buy something designed to be ridden harder. It will be worth it.
    BTW - I think your bike shop are fobbing you off and should offer a better solution than making you pay each time. The technology in your wheels is not bew abd big guys didn't have so much trouble for all that time.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chizler62 View Post
    I, 255lbs, notice on my "lower end" bikes, ex redline monocog, d440, etc, that I'm force to adj the wheel bearing tension most every ride.
    Have him learn proper wheel bearing and spoke maintenance and they'll last longer for certain.
    If you do this now you may be able to avoid spending any more money and not have to buy a new wheel at all.
    I've weighed between 240 and 270 lbs over the 20+ years I've been MTBing. The biggest problem I had with lower priced hubs cup/cone loose bearing hubs from Shimano, Formula, etc, is that the axles would bend. Once that happens, it's almost impossible to keep the locknuts from working loose during a ride. The only solution was to pull the rear axle out and straighten or replace it. A frame with dropouts that are not properly aligned will also cause the hubs to loosen up too.

Water intrusion into these lower priced hubs was my second most common problem. It will cause the lower grade bearing, cups and cones to rust and pit very fast.

You can what you want about a Clydesdale needing to "ride light" to preserve equipment but sometimes the equipment is just not up to the task of handling a heavier rider no matter how one rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Stronger rear wheel

I am right in the same weight and been riding for years. I have broken whatever rear wheels come stock on any of the bikes from xt Shimano, Formula, Transition and Mavic within 7-10 days of riding. I change out every rear hub with Hope hubs with their steel free hub body. I have my lbs do a rebuild 1 to 2 times a year depending on how many bikes I have I rotation and no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm looking into this issue also ^^

I'm 250lbs... riding KHS Winslow 29er

I've taco'd my rear wheel 3x since purchasing bike 4 months ago!!

My father-in-laws brother owns the LBS (where I'm visiting) & I'll be seeing him tomorrow and talking about new rim/wheel options...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What symptoms is the bike showing for him to want to take it in for service?

ie...
    - freewheel sticking or not engaging
    - side to side play in the wheel
    - wheel doesn't spin freely
    - grinding noise when spun
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

Must build all the wheels
    That really is not that much weight to be crushing bearings like that and since that bike has a freewheel rather than a freehub he must be easy on equipment if he has not had issues with axles bending or breaking. There is a very good chance whoever is rebuilding the hub is over tightening the cones or they were never adjusted when the bike was new (they are ALWAYS too tight from the factory) and he did enough damage that fresh ball bearings are not enough to fix the issue.

Any of the XT/Rhyno Lite wheelsets you can find online are fairly solid if cheap is the goal. If you want to go a bit nicer you can have something built for you and there, sky is the limit but you can get into something solid for $200 or so and up usually.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'll have to become a more cautious rider ^^

LBS (where I'm on hols & is also wife's uncle) tells me to go up from the rim(s) I currently have would cost half the price of the bike!?

I could just keep taco-ing the rear wheel until the ball & chain relents & lets me upgrade

Must build all the wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Looks like I'll have to become a more cautious rider ^^

LBS (where I'm on hols & is also wife's uncle) tells me to go up from the rim(s) I currently have would cost half the price of the bike!?

I could just keep taco-ing the rear wheel until the ball & chain relents & lets me upgrade
    Just buy the parts one at a time and it will not seem like nearly as big of an investment to her if you spread it out over a few weeks or months depending on disposable income.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    WTB FX 23 with SRAM MTH-306 Hub 29er Wheelset | WTB | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    and
    Amazon.com: Wheel Master WTB FX23 29er Disc Rear Wheel, Shimano M525 9-Speed Hub, QR, Black: Sports & Outdoors
    are good replacement wheels for the price, and should handle clydeloading. Don't think of it as buying wheels for your bike, think of it as buying a strong second set for your next bike.

mtbr member
    home town lbs fixed me up w/ a better rear rim... 150 slides & hasn't bent yet

Sent from my i9100 Warbird
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!