Thread: Stomach Cramps

mtbr member

Stomach Cramps

Hi all, I have a problem. I'm a tall rider, 6'4" and I have a true mountain bike commute of 17 miles round trip. I recently raised my seatpost height up to a point higher than before to get full leg extension, to where I can barely tiptoe on the ground while in the saddle, more like a road bike. It feels good in the legs and made an immediate improvement in my time getting to work (I pretty much race myself daily on a rural trek). However, now I'm getting cramps in my abdominal muscles.

I ride an XL frame with a 120mm stem and thought I had adequate extension. I'm pretty ectomorphic with a 6'7" wingspan and 36" inseam. I'm in good shape and light for my height. Before this happened I was actually thinking of getting a smaller stem since my Canondale Scalpel has a long top tube. I wonder whether I can ride through the discomfort and it'll stop or I'll need to make changes at the seatpost, stem, or handlebars?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    when you moved your seat up you also moved it back... you can adjust that easily by sliding it forward on the rails... i'd start there...

in raising your seat you also effectivly lowered your bars... you could adjust that with some risers or a new stem... I hear ya on comfort...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Making fat cool since '71
    To add one thing to donalson's response:
    if your seat is too high (feet touching while your butt is on the seat means zero regarding it being the "proper" height for riding) it can not only stress your knees, but the rocking motion required for full extension can mess with your hips and torso, particularly wrecking your core if that's already a weaklink in your body.

That said, 120mm is pretty long, but not "oh my gawd" long for a guy with your wingspan/height. FWIW, my SS has a 24.5" TT and I run a 90mm stem (I have a 78" wingspan at 6'3", short legs) and my squish has a 24.6" TT w/50mm stem (AM/light-FR bike).

Any back issues?

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I feel like I'm doubled over now on the bike from the waist up. Everything from the waist down is feeling pretty good.

Good idea on moving the saddle forward. I think I'm going to have to try a shorter stem and, gulp, riser bars.

dh1
    mtbr member
    If you don't want riser bars, you can switch your stem.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    nothing wrong with riser bars... heck I run risers with bar ends (a BIG fashion no-no) but i've about found my ideal riding position I think... as it sits the bars are right about even with the saddle when figuring in for sag... while I didn't think i'd like the current position (not very agressive feeling)... i've found it to be just about perfect... i'm going to drop the stem 10mm on the steer tube and see what happens... but i'm both amazed at how such little differences make big differences... and how the body can so quickly cope with major differences... you'll notice things if you ride a mile then swap out the bike... but ride a few miles on that other bike and you'll forget about those differences quickly..
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie