mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Stock 29er with largest stack height? More than 665mm?

I'm 6'7" and 220lbs I'm looking to put together a 29er hardtale front suspension ebike for getting around town. I want it to have a really upright riding position. It should probably be steel as the motor and battery are heavy, plus lots of gear, plus me. Though I'd still consider aluminum if the stack height added up... Ideally it would be a complete bike, though I would get just a frame and build it up. I know custom would be the best, but I don't want to spend that much.

I've heard the Turner Sultan and the El Rey are good and the Stump Jumper as far as aluminum goes. But the largest stock 29er stack height I've found so far is the 23.5 Gunnar Rock Tour with a 665mm stack height. I've been riding a 62cm surly cross check (talladaptations.com) which is comfortable, but not enough stack height for what I am currently after. I know I can use various raisers, but would like to minimize that if I can.

Also, just to confirm, stack height is the vertical distance from the front dropouts to the top of the head tube, right? Thinking some companies might measure from the ground...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sam
    6'7" 220lb blogging cyclist
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    well, the xxl sultan lists stack at 668, and is one of the tallest I've seen.
    But it's not a hardtail, not available as a e-bike (though I'd never in 100 years recommend anyone buy one of those) and seems like just a lot of bike for what you say you want to do.

I know you say custom is out of budget, but you included some very pricy stock bikes in your list. I'd get an estimate from a couple custom builders, as it sounds like you aren't looking for anything really fancy, just big. Wouldn't be surprised if you could get a custom steel frame for close to the price of a sultan.

stack is the vertical distance from the bb center to the top of the head tube. the height to the axle or ground wouldn't be useful for fitting purposes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the info.

The Gunnar Rock tour is around 1000 bucks just for the frame, wouldn't want to go any higher than this, and from looking around, custom is always a fair bit more. I didn't realize the El Rey and Turner Sultan were really high end.

I'm not looking for a complete Ebike, those don't exist in my size. Rather just using a conversion kit on a solid 29er. Ebikes have their place. I've got a bit of a hip injury, so their good for that. A huge benefit is that you can arrive at work or whatever fast and not drenched in sweat and yet there's no insurance, parking fees etc. They are a true car alternative. Just my two cents...

I'm really hoping there is something out there, a front suspension 29er hardtail with a stack height of something like 680 plus... Anyone thoughts?

Thanks,
    Sam
    TallAdaptations.com

Lord Thunderbottom
    how do you feel about an adjustable stem or a 25 degree?

I have one of these on my rigid MTB, this plus a riser handlebar should give you a pretty good position on any frame

http://salsacycles.com/components/ca...25-degree_stem
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've heard adjustable stems can be kinda wobbly, but I will be using a high angle stem with a raiser, but this on top of finding a really large stack height bike, I want this thing to be upright, riding like a were dutch, which I am a bit... So still searching for something with large stack height.

Thanks,
    Sam
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You won't find anything that upright in the mountain bike world - they just wouldn't work so they won't make them. I'd also say that you don't need FS if this is to be a town bike as the tyres will give you enough cushioning for the roads. Get a rigid bike and save your money for the parts you really need.
    Saying that, with a 45 degree stem
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/humpert-h...amp-prod27381/
    , max headset spacers and some 65mm riser bars
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-mk2...ack-prod12228/
    you could end up with a chopper of a bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    That is an interesting looking stem, might have to try that.
    FS stands for full suspension or front suspension?
    FSR stands for?

Thing with an ebike is that you are heavy and fast, meaning bumping. I hit a speed bump the other day and took a spill. They really need either super fat tires or some kind of suspension. I have a thubuster suspension seat post, but would like front suspension on top of that.

It probably will end up being a chopper! But good to start off with as much stack as possible. The gunnar rock hound is still the best stock 29er hardtale front suspension frame stack height (665mm) I have found so far, anyone out there know of any other options?

Thanks,
    Sam
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Specialized Hardrock, Rockhopper and Crave are around 673

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Those Specialized look like good options. Though I'm still leaning towards the rock tour because I'm interested in something steel and built for heavy loads. Too bad it doesn't come as a complete bike... Still interested in hearing of any other high stack height possibilities if anyone comes by this post.

Thanks,
    Sam
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Have you considered that an aftermarket fork comes with an uncut steerer tube which lets you use a lot of spacers under the stem to bring the front end up? Riser bars and riser stem will bring it up even higher.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey Sasquatch, I definitely will be looking for a fork with a long uncut steerer and using raiser bars, steep stem, and stem raiser. I guess 665ish will have to do. This is likely a project for later in the winter, just planning ahead. I will post on this chopper when I get it done!
    TallAdaptations.com

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Have you considered that an aftermarket fork comes with an uncut steerer tube which lets you use a lot of spacers under the stem to bring the front end up? Riser bars and riser stem will bring it up even higher.
    this is exactly what I was going to recommend... surly karate monkey fork comes 260mm uncut, the salsa fargo v2 in 300mm, the salsa enabler (uses a 135mm rear hub ) comes with a 350mm un cut...

it looks goofy but if it gets the bar up to where you need it who cares?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Are any of those suspension forks? If not, anyone know of any suspension forks with really long uncut steer tubes?

Thanks,
    Sam
    TallAdaptations.com

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSamuel View Post
    Are any of those suspension forks? If not, anyone know of any suspension forks with really long uncut steer tubes?

Thanks,
    Sam
    no those are all rigid... but I'm sure if you do some research i'm sure the manufactures list the steerer tube lengths... but also make sure and see what height the company ok's for height above the head tube, a steel steerer is much heavier but also stronger so they tend to be ok with longer tubes, carbon steerers (which I haven't seen in MTBing) are much more careful...

that being said... for the price I would seriously consider a rigid fork with a schwalbe big apple 2.3" tire, should offer plenty of cushion on the road, will be strong and inexpensive.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie