mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Still having numbness issues in my hands

Ok I posted a while ago about numbness in my hands on a down hill run. Well I rode the same trail on Monday. The road is dirt and VERY rocky. It's about 11 miles round trip from the bottom to the top and back. Since my last post I changed the grips on my bars to more ergonomic design and adjusted my seat position. I also changed the gloves I'm using. I didn't experience the level of numbness that I did last time but it seemed to start on my way up instead of just on my way down.

My bike is a Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er. I'm wondering if maybe the bars need to come up or maybe I need riser bars or something.
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

Machinist
    Not sure but I know that I had the same issue at one time. For me slimmer grips, and non padded gloves helped....also I stopped gripping my bars as hard and kinda loosened my grip some...
    "Ya can't argue logic with ignorance.''

Freshly Fujified

Professional fitting, perhaps?

Might seem a bit extreme, but take the bike and have a professional fitting done. Could be a combination of seatpost height, saddle position, stem length/rise/height.

Just a thought.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would just add that you should combine the above posts.

Fitting:
    Did you adjust your new grips properly? It is important that they are angled to properly support your hand. I know a few people who installed them parallel to the ground and that will not help you.

Grip:
    You may be over gripping the bars on that downhill. If you are "holding on for dear life" then you are probably making the problem worse. Loosen up your grip a little and allow yourself some flex in the palm and fingers.

The above steps eliminated my hand pain from what sounds like very similar conditions.

Helmetless Crasher
    You need to get the bar closer/higher. Perhaps a high rise bar with a shorter stem.
    You've got too much weight on your hands at the moment.

I actually prefer that riding position, though and am willing to put up w/ some numbness. I just switch hand positions to my bar ends for a while - it goes away in short order.

Former Bike Wrench
    I was having terrible issues with my hands a few years ago and tried the Ergon GX1 grips which helped but didn't eliminate the issue. It did take a few rides of adjusting the angle until I got them right.

However, I ended up switching to Alt Bars and the Ergon GA1 grips and the problem is eliminated. I tried a few different bars before finding the Ragley Carnegie's Bar. They are not redily available in the US, but Salsa just came out with a similar bar called the Bend 2 Bar.

mtbr member
    The problem is you're using the handle bars as an upper body support device. You may need a stronger core to hold yourself up so you're not putting all the weight on your bars.