mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Still feel like a Noob

While I started riding the single track trails in 2012, and I didn't have a good year in 2013. I still love to ride!!!

I started with a TREK Marlin and then found this site and learnt some things. Mainly learned I didn't spend enough on my first bike. lol

Well I took the plunge and went up a bit and I pretty sure I did fine with getting the TREK Superfly Comp. I haven't taken it on any trails just yet, but rode around for some test and getting use to it.

Just from testing, I already know I will be doing a few upgrades to my Marlin. Nothing super special for the trails, but I plan to just use that one for everything besides the single track trails.

As the title of this thread mentions Noob, I will end it with:

I did not know, that bikes in a certain higher price range did not come with pedals. I thought my LBS was playing a game with me, when they told me to bring my pedals.
    TREK 2012 Marlin
    TREK 2013 Superfly Comp - Carbon

mtbr member
    Yup...you know you're stepping up to better quality when the bike doesn't have pedals. It's because it's assumed that someone buying such a bike wouldn't be using the cheap pedals that coming on lesser bikes. Someone more advanced will likely be using a nicer platform or clipless pedal and likely already own or will be buying them for the new bike.

Congrats on the new bike, I just got one myself the other day. Now if I can get some days off without rain I'll be in business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Imo can't dis a Marlin lol. But the only thing stock is my seatpost now. I did it for the learning experience and the joy of tinkering though. Wasn't very cost effective lol.

Honestly the biggest issue is the forks, change those and enjoy. But the superfly is 10x the bike when doing stock comparisons. U think u had fun on your marlin, wait till u hit the trails on the superfly. Ull rapidly realize the reason for the price tag, well worth it.

Congrats and enjoy!!!
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Yup...you know you're stepping up to better quality when the bike doesn't have pedals. It's because it's assumed that someone buying such a bike wouldn't be using the cheap pedals that coming on lesser bikes. Someone more advanced will likely be using a nicer platform or clipless pedal and likely already own or will be buying them for the new bike.

Congrats on the new bike, I just got one myself the other day. Now if I can get some days off without rain I'll be in business.
    All explanation why they donít come with pedals is totally understandable, itís just you should have seen my face when I realized it. Lol
    I swear I thought they were joking with me.

BTW, thank you!

And the same here with the rain, and it happened to be this week with all the down pour, and the day after I buy the darn bike. I had planned to get it a week or two later, but I went ahead and got it.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Imo can't dis a Marlin lol. But the only thing stock is my seatpost now. I did it for the learning experience and the joy of tinkering though. Wasn't very cost effective lol.

Honestly the biggest issue is the forks, change those and enjoy. But the superfly is 10x the bike when doing stock comparisons. U think u had fun on your marlin, wait till u hit the trails on the superfly. Ull rapidly realize the reason for the price tag, well worth it.

Congrats and enjoy!!!
    Oh, please donít get me wrong, I LOVE my marlin. It is just after riding the superfly, I kinda know what I want to upgrade the Marlin with.
    I am so looking forward to feeling the difference on the trails, because I already have with just riding around.

If you donít mind, could you tell me the things you upgraded on the Marlin?

Iím not sure if I want to upgrade with SRAM or all Shimano. I am leaning towards SRAM X9 parts. Or maybe simply Shimano Deore. Then there is the ďorĒ something else.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    I just ordered X9 stuff for my brand new Cannondale that came equipped with XT stuff (which is for sale BTW ). Anyways, always been a fan of SRAM even though nothing wrong with Shimano. Even my road bike is SRAM.
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    HAMP
    I live in the Detroit area too - where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mainly out in Novi. Tree Farm and Maybury
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I just ordered X9 stuff for my brand new Cannondale that came equipped with XT stuff (which is for sale BTW ). Anyways, always been a fan of SRAM even though nothing wrong with Shimano. Even my road bike is SRAM.
    I don't know if I am going overboard with getting either upgrades(SRAM or Shimano), since the bike will now be for the road. I haven't shaped down enough to feel comfortable on a road bike, so I will still enjoy the Marlin until then.
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    I don't know if I am going overboard with getting either upgrades(SRAM or Shimano), since the bike will now be for the road. I haven't shaped down enough to feel comfortable on a road bike, so I will still enjoy the Marlin until then.
    If you have the funds, I wouldn't wait to get in shape for a road bike. A road bike will get you in shape. I lost 80 pounds last summer on a road bike. IMO, way better for weight loss and exercise than a mountain bike riding on trails. Not that mountain biking isn't great exercise, just in my experience, the constant non-stop pedaling on the road burns more calories and just works you more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Marlin will for now become my road bike until later. Riding that as a road bike is when I am alone and riding. I wouldn't want to ride with the guys who are on real rode bikes with it. I only max that things at 25MPH, and not for long. lol
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm pretty much decided on getting an all out SRAM X7 upgrade on the Marlin. Its not 100% certain yet, because I haven't ordered it.

I've always felt the 21in frame on the Marlin was just about perfect or maybe a tad bit small, and I decided to get the 23in Superfly, and the 23in seems to be perfect. I'm only 6'1, and I may have shrunk a little bit with age down to 6' even.. lol

I'm just surprised how much I love the larger frame, It seems to be a lot less effort standing up from the seat then with the 21in
    TREK 2012 Marlin

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If your going to ride it on the road, wouldn't you start with the tires and then maybe the seat. You might need rims depending on what size tire you go with.