Thread: Stans Hubs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Stans Hubs

Does anyone have experience on the ZTR rear hub? I'm ~240lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    .....or as they're known now as the 3.30.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    After some investigation I see the hubs are a basic 3 pawl system. I was hoping they may have teeth like the I9's but they do not. Unless they're made out of stainless and have tough springs they may be pretty risky for a clyde.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Stans 3.30 hub is basically the same as the Sun-Ringle Dirty Flea...it is a good design but not something that is bulletproof.

I would be wary of a hub in their price range having high engagement like the I9's...the one I'm aware of is the Halo Supa Drive (120 poe) and there are many reports of those imploding rather quickly. I know someone myself who is on their second (the first lasted less than one ride).

I personally would not be afraid of the ZTR 3.30 as I am not a freehub killer...but if your concerned or have a history of destroying freehubs then you might look at a Hadley or King. They cost more up front but may be worth it in the long run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Indeed, I'ma buster. 6-5, 240. Gone are the pawls on 3 hubs in the past 4 years. 2 LX & 2 XT's. Done with Shimano. LBS said except for the i9's stay away from all pawl hubs. I like what I hear from DT Swiss & Kings as they engage all contacts at once. I heard that Hope Pro II's have teeth on their pawls like the I9's but from the picts on the net I don't see that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm ~250 Geared and have been running these Hubs/Arch 29s for the past year and have no problems with them yet. Not sure of milage but I ride 2-4 times a week and do some short climbs so they should have gone through a decent amount of stress.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane0001
    I'm ~250 Geared and have been running these Hubs/Arch 29s for the past year and have no problems with them yet. Not sure of milage but I ride 2-4 times a week and do some short climbs so they should have gone through a decent amount of stress.
    Interesting. Whats the noise factor? Whats the warranty...1 year?