Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Stan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs

I'm sure this has been done to death in various threads. The Syncros wheel set on my 2013 Scott Genius 940 aren't quite up to abuse I'm putting them through, I weigh 220 geared up and probably not the smoothest rider around, The Stan's wheel set with the Hope Hubs run $745 for the pair. I'm not necessarily looking for a lighter wheel set but a tougher and wider wheel. I ride in South Florida with a lot of coral rock and roots. Any other suggestions? Price wise the Stan's set is right about where I want to be but if someone points out an alternative I might be willing to go to 1k. BTW, The Hope hubs are pretty loud are they not?
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    I run Flow EX with Hope Evos with Conti 2.4 Trail Kings on a Nomad.
    I ride the Nomad several days a week and the bike sees rocks, long descents, drops, high speeds.
    Keep your tire pressure up and they should work for you.
    Ride with pressure that's too low and they won't last. Easier to ding, flatspot, crack than you'd think when you make a mistake.
    Flow Ex durability depends on the quality of the Wheelbuilder + riding with appropriate tire psi for your terrain in my experience.
    They can be durable, but they don't hold up to repeat abuse.
    I don't find the newer Hope Hubs loud, they do make a distinctive sound, but they aren't obnoxious.

mtbr member
    $432.26 from cycle sports uk delivered
    Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Flow Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    awesome wheels for the money
    Josh

mtbr member
    I'm doing the exact same build for my 29 stumpy evo. At 240 I hope they hold up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Budget some money for better bearings the O.E.M. ones don't last to long..

mtbr member
    I've had this exact wheel/hub set for about a year now. This combo is bombproof!. I'm 212lbs and run them on my Niner RDO. Oh, you will completely forget about the hub ratchet sound after your first ride. have found it to be an early warning when coming up on hikers and such. As soon as I see someone ahead on the trail. I'll coast and they always turn around to see what's coming.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Monitor / adjust your tire pressures as well. I put in an extra psi or two when hitting Oleta, QW, or Markham.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Budget some money for better bearings the O.E.M. ones don't last to long..
    I went through a set of bearing in my FH pretty quickly with my fatbike, then not too much longer completely tore up the bearings and their surfaces.

Hope sent me a steal FH and I have not had issues since (knock on wood).

In comparison, my Chris King hubs have been 100% reliable. I am 270 lbs unloaded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just bought a Scott Scale 940 with the Syncros wheels also. I've kinda been researching wheels since i just started riding again and probably gonna need to upgrade wheels due to bein 235 and not the smoothest rider. Seems like a lot of people on here like the Stan's wheels so I checked them out and they seem to be what I need. I would like to go with the Blue Hope hubs and nipples to match my bike but from what I've seen the Hopes only come in 6 bolt disc mounts and I have center lock mount. Would I just have to buy a 6 bolt disc and later I would like to upgrade brakes to XTR probably and all of those I've seen are center lock disc. Does center lock or 6 bolt matter as long as I'm matching what size disc needs to be used? When they ask 15 or 20 mm what exactly are they referring to? I looked up the specs of my hubs but couldn't find if they were 15 or 20?

mtbr member
    XT ice techs are 6 bolts. The 15 or 20 mm is the thru axle size for the fork. Three basic sizes are 9mm quick release, 15mm, and 20mm diameter axles. Post a pic of the axle removed and someone here will reply. If it's the 100mm fox fork, I'd guess a 15 mm axle. Either way, most hubs can be converted by changing the end caps from 15 to 20.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I hadn't considered I was going to have to change from CL rotors to 6 bolt style. I'm glad this was brought up by Scrappy Jr. So , to be clear I have to order some 6 bolt rotors with these hubs?
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    I think yes on changing rotors. Adapters are available for putting 6 bolt rotors on CL hubs, but not the other way around. Then, I've been wrong many times. The CL idea is mostly for shimano hubs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    XT ice techs are 6 bolts
    Mine aren't

Stan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs-xt-brakes.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by emp? View Post
    $432.26 from cycle sports uk delivered
    Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er Flow Ex Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK
    awesome wheels for the money
    So I received my wheel set today from CycleSports Uk, I have to say I was pretty impressed with their turnaround. 12 days from order to delivery to the US including the first order being canceled until I ok'ed the transaction with my bank. I bought 2 new 180 MM XT Ice Tech rotors too. One more Kenda Nevegal to buy before it goes into the lbs for the transformation. I'll post pics when it's done. Thanks for the input.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Stan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs-image.jpgStan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs-image.jpgI ended up with Stan's Flow EX with Chris King hubs and new 6 bolt Shimano rotors! Only got 2 short rides in but I love them so far! Haven't had time to pick up my rotors yet so I've been using some loners.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Stan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue426 View Post
    So I received my wheel set today from CycleSports Uk, I have to say I was pretty impressed with their turnaround. 12 days from order to delivery to the US including the first order being canceled until I ok'ed the transaction with my bank. I bought 2 new 180 MM XT Ice Tech rotors too. One more Kenda Nevegal to buy before it goes into the lbs for the transformation. I'll post pics when it's done. Thanks for the input.
    That's a steal. I can't buy the parts to build it for that price. I know where ill be getting my wheels for my Lurcher. I wonder if I can special order them with a bolt on SS hub?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    That's a steal. I can't buy the parts to build it for that price. I know where ill be getting my wheels for my Lurcher. I wonder if I can special order them with a bolt on SS hub?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo 29er SS Wheelset | Wheels MTB | - Cycle Sports UK

"Rear Hub : includes bolts"

mtbr member
    I am hesitant to recommend Hopes for clydes, I cracked 2 freehubs last season (I'm 210 lbs), my 220 lb buddy destroyed the bearings on his 8 week old Pro 3's and my 260 lb buddy broke 2 axles, 2 freehub bodies and crushed the bearings. All the hubs were bought last spring. Best bang for buck now is probably Hadleys.
    On the plus side most parts were warrantied pretty quick, but as a former Hope fan I've been pretty disappointed by the new EVO's.
    Last edited by MartinS; 03-29-2014 at 04:05 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Got my bike back today

Stan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs-stans.jpgStan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs-stansback.jpg Stan's Flows with Hope Evo Hubs-stansfront.jpg
    The sound isnt as loud as I thought it would be, The Nevegals feel heavy starting out but not to bad once I'm going. First trail ride tomorrow at West Delray Regional.
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stans.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	866423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StansBack.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	866424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StansFront.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	866425
    The sound isnt as loud as I thought it would be, The Nevegals feel heavy starting out but not to bad once I'm going. First trail ride tomorrow at West Delray Regional.
    What time you goin out there? I was riding the other day and realized they were destroying the back trail! I can prob make it out there tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm usually there around 9 and ride until 11:15 or 11:30. What do you mean they are destroying the back trail? The trail along the canal?
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm usually there around 9 and ride until 11:15 or 11:30. What do you mean they are destroying the back trail? The trail along the canal?
    Yeah! The people that take care of the canal tore out all the Brazilian pepper trees and it destroyed the back trail. A bunch if people from FORCE are meeting out there Sunday morning to start clearing and discuss rebuilding. Theirs pics on their Facebook page. I rode Jonathan Dickinson today and it was Awesome il be headed back there in the mornin.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stans.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	866423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StansBack.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	866424 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StansFront.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	866425
    Did you have your wheels built locally or order off the web?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought them from CycleSports UK
    2012 GT Karakoram
    2013 Scott Genius 940

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I bought them from CycleSports UK
    That's sweet you saved some $ doin that! I had mine built at Bicyclery in West Palm! Not cheap but I can use my card from there and if I have a problem I can drive it over there and deal with it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast