mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Stan's flow riders - what tires do you ride

I'm on temporary (3 year) assignment in India and have really gotten into riding with a group of folks over here. They've been riding for years, I'm a relative newby, but that is another story.

Due to the thorns over here, I need to go with a tubeless setup (three flats my last ride - using slime tubes). I'm thinking of Stan's flow rims, and have read absolutely everything on the forum I can. However, I don't feel like I'm any closer to enlightenment than I was before I started. I need a tire that can go both road and trail. The trails are mostly soft packed with rocks and, of course, lots of thorns.

1. What tire do you folks ride?
    2. I'm about 260-270 with gear, and I'm worried about the 35 psi max on the rims (I tend to ride about 40-45 on my Bontragers).

Jeff.

mtbr member
    Hey,

I'm 280 and have been using Specialized 2bliss "The Captains". I've run them around 30-40psi. I ride on the East coast and haven't had any flats since switching over last year.

You don't want to run them any higher than 40 or they might "blow" off the rim.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm the same weight as you, (but that is before getting dressed or adding gear) and have been riding Flow rims on my 29er for the past year. On my 29" wheels, I only run about 25psi in all of the tires I have tried which are all around 2.2" to 2.3" tires. I was initially concerned about the rating too, but after riding them for a year and finding how ,ow I prefer to run tires, I don't worry about it any longer as I never run over 30psi for any reason.

I have run Kenda Karmas, Specialized Eskars, Mountain Kings & WTB Wolverines on the Flows and they all worked great other than cutting down sidewalls on the Eskars.

mtbr member
    jeffj,

When I ride at 25psi I feel that the rear end is too spongy.
    Do you feel that at all? Maybe I need to try another tire?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan
    jeffj,

When I ride at 25psi I feel that the rear end is too spongy.
    Do you feel that at all? Maybe I need to try another tire?
    Nope. I don't feel that until I get down to the very low twenties or below. Tire started feeling squirmy a couple days ago. Checked it and it was about 19psi. Pumped it back up to about 26psi and was good to go again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

What I went with

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Nope. I don't feel that until I get down to the very low twenties or below. Tire started feeling squirmy a couple days ago. Checked it and it was about 19psi. Pumped it back up to about 26psi and was good to go again.
    I'm riding 26s and so it may be different for me. I'll let you know. I finally decided to go with what my friend rides (although he is anything but a clyde). Front Maxxis Ignitor 26x2.1; Rear Maxxis Larsen TT 26x2.0

Jeff.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Mtn Kings in the front and Rampage on the back on my 29er. Best combo for me in Austin and in New Mexico.

You can try going tubeless, but I'm your same weight and never had any luck with it.

I'm slimed or ghetto slimed.
    I run PSI 45-50 or I pinch out, even slimed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm right at 250 lbs with gear. My bike has 29" Flow rims. I ran Kenda Nevegals front and rear until recently. Started shedding knobs on the rear so I'm on a WTB Wolverine rear at the moment. The Nevegals had GREAT traction. I'm hoping to find a tire that works as good as the Neve but doesn't shed knobs. Oh, I run 30 psi rear and about 27 psi front with Stan's tubeless set up.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    I am about 250 with gear on 29er ZTR Flows. Ride in AZ, UT, CO, and NM. Plenty of rocks, some roots, some cactus and mesquited thorns/goatheads when I go into the desert. In order, my fave fronts and rears as follows:

Front:
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (tubeless)
    Specialized Purgatory 2.4 (tubeless)
    Kenda Nevegal (tubed)

Rear:
    CST Caballero (tubed, tubeless)
    WTB Weirwolf (fwrd and reversed, tubed)
    WTB Exiwolf (tubed)
    Intense (name unknown, tubed)
    WTB Prowler (reversed, tubeless)
    Kenda SB8 (tubed)

For whatever reason, I have had limited luck setting up my rear wheel tubeless. I had purchased a big bottle of Cafe Latex sealant which has been less than ideal, and the likely reason for my troubles, but I will use it until it is gone. My fave tire from a traction and volume standpoint has been the Caballero, and at the price, it has been great (sub $20). Get a good sealant, a ratchet strap, and compressor and you will usually have good luck.

I

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by CxAgent2
    I'm right at 250 lbs with gear. My bike has 29" Flow rims. I ran Kenda Nevegals front and rear until recently. Started shedding knobs on the rear so I'm on a WTB Wolverine rear at the moment. The Nevegals had GREAT traction. I'm hoping to find a tire that works as good as the Neve but doesn't shed knobs. Oh, I run 30 psi rear and about 27 psi front with Stan's tubeless set up.
    Panaracer Rampage is your answer. Very simiar tread pattern without the severe knob shedding of the Neve

mtbr member
    29er flows
    32 hole
    chris king hubs(stainless not alloy)
    schwalbe racing ralphs
    stans sealant

28-30lbs air pressure
    2010 fisher hifi pro

295lbs with riding gear
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphil
    29er flows
    32 hole
    chris king hubs(stainless not alloy)
    schwalbe racing ralphs
    stans sealant

28-30lbs air pressure
    2010 fisher hifi pro

295lbs with riding gear
    <= me confused and very jealous. I don't know how you do it.
    I couldn't ride that low PSI or tubeless at 280 with riding gear and water. Waay too many sidewall tears.

I had to keep 45-50, which defeats the whole purpose of tubeless outside of weight
    savings. But the sidewall tears killed it for me.

sniff, sniff....

mtbr member
    I guess it's different styles of riding and a bit of the terrain as well.
    I bet you're getting a lot of side wall tears because of rocks and thorns?!?. I ride mostly in N VA with a lot of roots and rocks and the occasional rock garden and only blew out one sidewall in the last two years.
    280lbs, Flows @ 30-35psi, Spesh/The Captains 2bliss.
    Any lower and I'll roll the tire off the rim.
    Came down hard one time and blew the Captain right off the Flow. Not sure if I endowed first or if that was the reason I dumped over the bars.
    Tubeless is the way to go though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    <= me confused and very jealous. I don't know how you do it.
    I couldn't ride that low PSI or tubeless at 280 with riding gear and water. Waay too many sidewall tears.

I had to keep 45-50, which defeats the whole purpose of tubeless outside of weight
    savings. But the sidewall tears killed it for me.

sniff, sniff....
    oops forgot to put that they are 29 x 2.2 racing ralphs.

sidewall tears are a concern for me. there are a couple of trails down here in north texas that could really do a number on them if i really pushed it. i will go to a snake skin sidewall type tire next time.
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

Members who have read this thread: 0