Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bike Junkie

New question here. Stan's Arch EX vs Flow EX for a Clyde

Hi everyone I am getting a new set of wheels built up. I have Chris King ISO disc hubs on order. 15QR and 142x12 rear for my new 2012 Turner Flux . I am doing mostly straight XC type riding and a rider weight of around 230lbs.

I was thinking of using the Arch EX but wasn't sure of the rider weight limit for the rim. The weight difference is 90g per rim. 400g vs. 490g.

The internal width of the Arch EX is 21mm and the Flow EX is 25.5mm. I am thinking of tire profile and the nice wide footprint the Flow has to offer. I am coming from a set of Mavic XM819 which have served me very well.

Any thoughts on which rim to go with?

My terrain in Ontario isn't too rugged and the bike is a 100mm travel sort.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Flow is the narrowest rim I'd run these days. I don't see any advantage to the arch, other than trivial weight savings.

mtbr member
    Given the new Stans rims use a bead shape that is designed around fitting tires very tight, if you happen to use Tubeless Ready tires then you might check out the WTB Frequency i23 TCS rims at 23mm wide internally and 475g per rim.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

Bike Junkie
    Yes thanks, the WTB Frequency i23 was actually the second rim on my list after the Flow. Then I found out that the Flow EX was available. Shortly after that It was recommended that I consider the Arch EX.

I have been using UST with my Mavic 819's but will go to TLR setup next.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Arch EX's "recommended" max weight is 230 lb, and I think Flow EX's is 250 lb. Since you are on a FS, I think Arch EX would hold you up fine. But if you ride aggressively and stay seated a lot, I would go for Flow EX.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Bike Junkie
    Yes Clyde category for sure. I am a 230lbs rider weight.

So I might feel more "comfortable" with the Flow EX then. Although I would probably be just "ok" on the Arch EX.
    Last edited by BlackOut; 10-05-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Amendment
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Flow fo' sho'

265# and loving them w/ my CK.

mtbr member
    I would go with the Flow EX. I was going through the same dilemma and I ended up with the Flow. The minimal weight saving does not outweigh the peace of mind.

turtles make me hot
    Go with the Flow.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hi all,

i have a similar question, but i didn't want to start a new thread since it's basically on-topic. i hope the moderators do not mind (if they do, i hope they can move my question to a new thread, thank you ).

i'm at 200+ (205 i think) pounds and riding a hardtail. my wheelset is hope pro 2 evo hubs, dt swiss revo spokes, and ztr crest 26" with 2.4/2.2 UST tires mounted. i ride mostly XC though I've ridden AM country (but not aggressively). so far, the wheelset has held up well.

anyway, i'm looking to get an AM bike soon. I'm thinking of building a wheelset for it, and i was thinking of ArchEX but was wondering if that is too little considering the stuff i mentioned above. FlowEX is an option, but that might be overkill. Any ideas, sirs? thank you.

turtles make me hot
    Your weight aside for a second, The Flow will give you a SLIGHTLY wider profile and be a little stiffer and stronger...
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I just built up a flow ex laced to a CK hub. I've got an Ardent 2.4 on it that I'm running tubeless at around 26 psi. So far it's been really good after 3 rides. I plan on doing a post soon on the build/review of the rim but I want to get some more time on it so I can give a thorough assessment. I will say that I was able to seal the Ardent with a floor pump and it's holding air really well. Hell, so far it's holding air better than my tubed wheel on the rear.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member
    You could probably get by with the Arches, but the Flows are pretty bulletproof. I've had a set of the original flows for about a year and still haven't been able to get the rear far enough out of true that my LBS will fix it for me (I do check the spokes every few months). If the EX's are stiffer, they must be truly amazing - and I start drooling thinking about that increased width!
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I'm running the Arch EX in 32 hole and I'm only 210 lbs or so. Might just be a creepy build, but I've had to true the rear wheel twice already and I've only had the bike two months. Going back, I would have built up the Flow EX in 36 hole rear, which is what I plan on doing with my next set. There's much to be said about a nice, bullet proof set of wheels, even if they do weigh a little more

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Either of the rims should fill the XC role just fine. I just built a wheel with the ArchEX, and can tell you that it is much stiffer than the original Arch.

Tillers_Rule.... If you've had to true that rear wheel twice, then it was very likely due to a build issue... If the ArchEX is built properly (radial, lateral and dish brought in to <1mm,0.5mm,0.5mm respectively AND the average tension of 125kgF, the individual spoke tensions are close to the average... no big excursions, AND the wheel is properly stress relieved to make sure there is no spoke wind-up that will cause big tension drops when ridden), then the build is VERY stiff and strong.

Of course, MOST of the strength in a wheel is in the quality of the build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just and FYI, the original Arch has an i.d. of 19 mm and the Flow is 21mm. The Arch EX is now 21mm and the Flow Ex is 25+mm. Im sure Notubes is not going to change the rider weight limits of the mentioned rims despite rim width changes. Something else to consider is why we as clydes have to consider a burlier, wider, rim. Variances of flex, tire pressure, riding style, and location, all play a factor in what we should be looking for. Rather then focusing on rim width, consider a high volume, tubless tire, matched to your riding conditions. If your doing smooth XC or mild trail, then a 2-2.5 inch tire would fit the bill. An Arch EX or Standard Flow would make alot of sense here. If most of your riding is light to heavy trail with lots of rocks etc, then wider 2.25 to 2.4 tire on a i23 or Flow Ex would be a better. The combination of a higher volume tire matched to the appropriate wide footprint rim, ran at lower pressures for compliance, ie tubless, will do more for ride comfort, performance, and wheelset integrity than a burly wheelset with 36h count on a OEM or like tire. The point here is that the comprimise we need to start considering is not always shelling out big bucks on a HEAVY-duty clyde specific wheelset. Instead, consider a high volume, often times heavy, tire combination to get the ride quality and performance we dont know we need.

Bike Junkie
    thanks t51, great points. I was originally leaning to the 'old' Flow but the wheel builder I was working with didn't have access to them, just the newer Flow EX's which are probably wider than what I was thinking but of course even my old Mavic XM819's compared to Stan's Arch's are only 2mm difference which in tire terms is not a lot. I run Schwalbe Nobby Nic's 2.25" UST (running tubeless) tires so I do go for the high volume tires. I never had a problem with my xm819 with this tire combo on the XC trails that I ride in Ontario.

Having said this I am looking forward to seeing what additional stability a 6.5mm width increase will do for me with the Flow EX's and a new tire, the Continental Trail King 2.2's and I will most likely ride them tubed to start but converted to tubeless soon after. I did consider the Velocity rims as well. Given the wheel build I probably would have been just fine on the Stan's Arch rims.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
    thanks t51, great points. I was originally leaning to the 'old' Flow but the wheel builder I was working with didn't have access to them, just the newer Flow EX's which are probably wider than what I was thinking but of course even my old Mavic XM819's compared to Stan's Arch's are only 2mm difference which in tire terms is not a lot. I run Schwalbe Nobby Nic's 2.25" UST (running tubeless) tires so I do go for the high volume tires. I never had a problem with my xm819 with this tire combo on the XC trails that I ride in Ontario.

Having said this I am looking forward to seeing what additional stability a 6.5mm width increase will do for me with the Flow EX's and a new tire, the Continental Trail King 2.2's and I will most likely ride them tubed to start but converted to tubeless soon after. I did consider the Velocity rims as well. Given the wheel build I probably would have been just fine on the Stan's Arch rims.
    The N.N. are a great tire with lots of volume. They should work great on the Flow ex. Did you consider running the new N.N. 2.4 upfront with the 2.2.5 in the rear? Just curious as I haven't read anyone trying this combo yet. I was up in the air between them and the new Ground Control tires from Specialized. Ended up with the Ground Control's due to price but am slightly disappointed with the volume of both the 2.1 and 2.3 G.C.'s. Post back up when you get the Wheel set and tire's. I'm curious what your thoughts will be throughout the colder months.

mtbr member

Go with the Flow EX's.....

I am 230 and ride very aggressively.... I do have decent bike skills but I do ride hard... I have Flow Ex's laced to King ISO hubs and have had zero issues with them.. My wheel builder is the owner of my LBS and he laced them 2X for even more stiffness and they have not disappointed me one bit... I just set them up tubeless with meaty Nobby Nic 's front and rear going into the Fall / Winter and the grip has been amazing.. I have had Arch's and didn't have any issues per say butt I could feel the flex significantly more... and I broke the "Rim Seam Pin" loose after around 100 Miles.... The Flow EX's are obviously heavier but durability and stiffness are more important to me.. My $.02

mtbr member
    I wonder if this guy is riding on Flows

Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party - YouTube

who me?
    Mar 2009
    ^ WOW!

That was some seriously impressive riding!

mtbr member
    Just got a pair of Arch to find they're 20mm through axle front. I'm going to try Stan's adapter. Otherwise I have to tell DW that I need a new fork.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    Just and FYI, the original Arch has an i.d. of 19 mm and the Flow is 21mm. The Arch EX is now 21mm and the Flow Ex is 25+mm.
    FYI: The original Flow is 22.6mm, not 21mm. Here is the link to the page from Stans with the dimensions for all of their rims:

ZTR Rims

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    I wonder if this guy is riding on Flows

Martyn Ashton - Road Bike Party - YouTube
    Road bikes doing trial stuff makes me want to get a bigger SUV and guns.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I would go with the Flows if you are going to stick with stans. Might I suggest the WTB i23's as well? I have been riding them for a bit now and they have been quite nice so far. I ride smooth but definitly am a all mountain rider taking small jumps and drops frequantly and weight in at 260+ lbs lately W/O gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast