mtbr member

Stack and Reach Charts for pretty much all XL Bikes

For all you tall people out there, I've compiled geometry for pretty much every XL and XXL bike I can find. What follows is the most exhaustive collection of bikes for tall people that exists on the web to the best of my knowledge.

Lots of information about how and why I size bikes using stack and reach: The Earth Remains - Journal - Bikes for the Very Tall

EDIT: Added another way to look at the charts here. This is more useful than the links below.

Click on any chart for an interactive view, and access to all the geometry numbers for each bike featured.

Full Suspension Bikes:

Hardtails:

Road Bikes:

All-Road Bikes:

Fat Bikes:

Last edited by asollie; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:13 PM.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thank you!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here - top up your road bike data:
    https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of...ts-62-63-64cm/

Of course, not all bikes are available in all markets, but GOOD EFFORT.

I hope we get something new out of Sea Otter for us tall types.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Here - top up your road bike data:
    https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of...ts-62-63-64cm/

Of course, not all bikes are available in all markets, but GOOD EFFORT.
    Yeah, I'm American and the list is definitely biased towards common brands in the US. Could you tell me the most common or important European companies I should add to my list?
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I tried suggesting this via an edit request, but I really think you should add weight limits for frames for us bigger fellas.

I sent you a few weight limits for a few brands/models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You should add Guerilla Gravity bikes to your list. You'll find them firmly on the far right side of your graphs. I'm buying one now in XL. Nicolai is also very big rider friendly and makes some of the most artfully finished bikes on the planet

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That table is very good In fact it gave me a lot second thoughts and I need to revise my sizing approach as I was ignoring Stack and focusing on Reach only.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    This is brilliant, thank you!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Awsome! Thanks.
    Now that I have my XXL Tallboy I will never buy a mountain bike with under 500mm of reach. Never had a bike that actually fit me before. I almost wish I had waited for the Hightower, but would only use the extra travel a couple times a year.

T
    Yes...thanks for you spreadsheet...I reference it often! I'm a Trek guy though and noticed you are missing the 23" Trek Fuel 29er (in aluminum). It would slide into your 3 spot on full suspension bikes with a BB-HT of 819.6. Also, the "XXL" Trek Fuel Carbon you have on the list is a 21.5"...they do not make the 23" in that model...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdailey View Post
    Yes...thanks for you spreadsheet...I reference it often! I'm a Trek guy though and noticed you are missing the 23" Trek Fuel 29er (in aluminum). It would slide into your 3 spot on full suspension bikes with a BB-HT of 819.6. Also, the "XXL" Trek Fuel Carbon you have on the list is a 21.5"...they do not make the 23" in that model...
    Good catches! I need to pay more attention to Trek. Changed the 21.5" carbon model to XL and added the XXL/23" aluminum version to the spreadsheet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Good catches! I need to pay more attention to Trek. Changed the 21.5" carbon model to XL and added the XXL/23" aluminum version to the spreadsheet.
    What about the Scott spark 760 or the genius?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I know there's not a lot of love for Diamondback around here, but the Release is a pretty decent (and well reviewed) FS trail bike. The XL has stack and reach numbers of 611.8 and 473.3mm, respectively. This puts it on the small end of the chart shown - which agrees with anecdotal reports of some riders as short as 6'1" (myself among them) being more comfortable on the XL (21") than the L (19") size Release.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Huge thanks to Asolie for putting that chart together.
    I studied it endlessly this winter trying to decide what to build up.
    I'm a bit over 6'-6"/ 200cm and went with an Evil Wreckoning.
    Its definitely long and with a 35mm riser bar, fits pretty good.

An equally tall friend picked up the XXL Hightower, but thats shorter travel than my desires.
    I see that SC is advertising 'Hightower LT', but be warned- I spoke with SC about buying a Hightower in May and putting a Fox 36 fork on it and they said the bike performed horribly with even a 150mm fork. I think they are just trying to get another bike out there, as they were a bit light in travel for what most riders are looking for.

I spoke with Intense and they are rolling out a new Carbine 29 that could be another contender for us tall trail folk out there...

mtbr member
    I wish I'd found this list 2 months ago. It took me a lot of research to arrive at my 2018 fuel ex 8.

Great list thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Attachment 1158753
    Spark 745 Spark 760 Spark 745
    Attachment 1158754

Son Josh 6"2 200lbs and Jashper 6"3 215 lbs

Attachment 1158755

6"4 283lbs ex bodybuilder

Attachment 1158756

745 mine

Attachment 1158757

745 again

Attachment 1158758

Josh riding, much bigger than his Walmart bike.

Attachment 1158759

Reach and stack for Scott Spark 745 and 760 large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    For all you tall people out there, I've compiled geometry for pretty much every XL and XXL bike I can find. What follows is the most exhaustive collection of bikes for tall people that exists on the web to the best of my knowledge.

Lots of information about how and why I size bikes using stack and reach: The Earth Remains - Journal - Bikes for the Very Tall

Click on any chart for an interactive view, and access to all the geometry numbers for each bike featured.

Full Suspension Bikes:

Hardtails:

Road Bikes:

All-Road Bikes:

Fat Bikes:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ands-compared/
    Here you go this should help you with your chart.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow this is fantastic!!! I had been building my own for FS bikes and fatbikes but nothing to this level of detail and analysis! Very well done!!

If you would tho, both 907 and Fatback bikes should get added to the list as then make some XLs that are taller than most. And the Lenz Fatillac for that matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt View Post
    Wow this is fantastic!!! I had been building my own for FS bikes and fatbikes but nothing to this level of detail and analysis! Very well done!!

If you would tho, both 907 and Fatback bikes should get added to the list as then make some XLs that are taller than most. And the Lenz Fatillac for that matter.
    Thanks! I couldn't find Stack/Reach numbers for the 907 fatbikes. Same with the Lenz Fatillac. Not sure if they even know... seems like that thing was welded together while someone was drunk. Let me know if you see numbers for any of those bikes somewhere. Added two Fatback bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My old 907 fat bike was extremely short, not sure if that has changed on the newer models.

it would be great if you could include the 'size name', ie 'L' or '21"' in the model circle.
    For example, I see the two Trek Fuels listed, carbon and ally, very different. I am fairly sure this is because the alloy comes in a 23" size and the carbon doesn't, but it's still good to mention, for people who aren't familiar with a certain bike.

On the other hand, you can remove the 'model level' names ie '5' or 'pro' as long as they use the same frame.

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    My old 907 fat bike was extremely short, not sure if that has changed on the newer models.

it would be great if you could include the 'size name', ie 'L' or '21"' in the model circle.
    For example, I see the two Trek Fuels listed, carbon and ally, very different. I am fairly sure this is because the alloy comes in a 23" size and the carbon doesn't, but it's still good to mention, for people who aren't familiar with a certain bike.

On the other hand, you can remove the 'model level' names ie '5' or 'pro' as long as they use the same frame.

Thanks a lot!
    It would be great if I could do that. There are limits to google docs though! You can always look it up in the spreadsheets. I'm hoping to eventually move all these charts to some better system, but that would take a while and I'm busy trying to find a real job right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It would be great if I could do that. There are limits to google docs though! You can always look it up in the spreadsheets. I'm hoping to eventually move all these charts to some better system, but that would take a while and I'm busy trying to find a real job right now.
    I think we are misunderstanding each other.

I meant: in the bike name cell(column A), add the size (from column H) and remove the model level:

ie: instead of 'FUEL EX 5 29' in column A, put: 'FUEL EX 29, 23"'. then you can delete column H.

I would also suggest removing the standover height column. Your target audience is tall, people and big frames. Standover is (almost)never an issue for those users. Even more importantly, the published numbers are rubbish. It depends where you measure it, which tires you have etc, etc..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Comments on your blog post

Hi,

Here are some comments on your blog post.

You calculate "Pythag BB -> HT" and "Chill factor".

Lee McCormack has also been using those measurements, and he uses the Chillfactor angle as a determinant of riding style (for mountain bikes), so a steeper angle is more DH oriented, a lower angle is more XC oriented..

"For mountain biking, it would be incredible to have a way to calculate your downhill seated angle to tip-over and your uphill seated angle to tip-over,. "

For descending, I think it is a bit easier that that, since you won't be sitting down on a (steep)descent. Most MTB technique suggests balancing weight over bottom bracket, so we can simply calculate front front/rear center ratios.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Can we please make this a sticky??

mtbr member
    Great chart thanks.

Confirms that I'm probably best off with a GG Smash for my next bike ( Long travel 29er )

Edit: Might want to add the GG Pedalhead to your hardtail chart too. I have it its a great bike for tall humans. Guerrilla Gravity | Pedalhead | Info, Geometry, and Specs
    Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead XL

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    WOW, great work! Thanks...

mtbr member
    Spent some time messing with Tableau and created the best way to visualize this data to date.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Spent some time messing with Tableau and created the best way to visualize this data to date.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
    Again, WELL DONE! Confirms that my Camber was a good choice for me

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    Hi,

Here are some comments on your blog post.

You calculate "Pythag BB -> HT" and "Chill factor".

Lee McCormack has also been using those measurements
    Lee's using distance between BB and grips (not HT) though which makes a bit more sense to me since handle bar height is easily adjusted unlike reach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice data visualization but I don't think this is the data for that style. I have to 'reverse' the data in my head for it to work as I am having to look 'backwards' at the same information - stack and reach 4 times in 4 different directions. In this case I would prefer to see the data either on 4 separate sheets or 4 different layers that I can switch on / off on the same set of axis.
    I only hope you understand that!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Need Scott Genius and Spark please.

mtbr member
    What do the various sizes of the circles represent?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Nice data visualization but I don't think this is the data for that style. I have to 'reverse' the data in my head for it to work as I am having to look 'backwards' at the same information - stack and reach 4 times in 4 different directions. In this case I would prefer to see the data either on 4 separate sheets or 4 different layers that I can switch on / off on the same set of axis.
    I only hope you understand that!
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure what you mean. With the Tableau chart you can add filters, maybe that will help you? Think of it as looking at a bike from the drive-side... higher up the chart means the bike is taller, farther right means it is longer.

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    What do the various sizes of the circles represent?
    They represent the distance from the BB to the top of the head tube. Bigger circles mean bigger distances. Essentially the bigger the circle, the bigger the You can read more about that here: The Earth Remains - Journal - Bikes for the Very Tall