Thread: Squeaky Seat...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Squeaky Seat...

I am in need of a clyde proof seat, My seat has started squeaking something fierce, I think its in the rails...

Thanks
    Jim Bradley
    http://huskyhiker.com

follow me on twitter: HuskyHiker

Clydesdale 29er
    I found that it was my seat post that was squeaking. I also bent the post about 5 degrees
    backwards. My new Easton seat post is silent and much more ridged.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyHiker
    I am in need of a clyde proof seat, My seat has started squeaking something fierce, I think its in the rails...
    Is the squeaking coming from the interface between the seatpost clamp and the rails? If so, greasing the rails ought to quiet it down. (You'll need to loosen the clamp first and retighten it afterwards.)

If the noise is coming from where the rails are inserted into the seat proper, you might be able to quiet it down by giving each insertion point a shot of silicone spray.

With regard to saddle recommendations, this is difficult because fit is very important. A saddle that's comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you. Nonetheless... my current favorite is the Terry Fly. I've used several saddles made by WTB as well. They held up well, but the ones I tried do not fit me quite as well as the Terry Fly. (WTB has quite a few different models; it may just be that I didn't try the one that'd fit me best.)

local trails rider
    My seats have small screws on the bottom side to hold everything together. Tightening them has removed some squeaks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Clean Seat Post Seat Tube Interface?

Had that exact same problem about a month ago. Sounded like it was coming from the rails. Tightened the bolts. Cleaned the rail/clamp interface. Still squeaking. Then I realized the seat post was looking pretty dirty around the clamp. Took it out, cleaned the the seat post and the seat tube, greased it, and the squeaking went away.

Underskilled
    Getting a thompson post fixed my squeek.

Re seats, a spesh sonama was quite good, but the rails would bend under my weight.

mtbr member
    I was getting a bit of squeaking from my seat. I took the seat off, cleaned the area (it was pretty dirty), then added some Rock N'Roll super web grease to the seat rails. No problems since. Just did this two rides ago so time will tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    +1 on the cleaning.

The seat I like best currently is the WTB Rocket V, though I'd really like to try a Terry Fly.

Clyde proof seat? pffft... I bend rails on my seats when I mess up a landing a slam into my seat. I'm pretty sure no seat will put up with that without bending.