mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Spring size for 250lb Clyde in CCDB

Any 250lb clydes out there running a Cane Creek Double Barrel? If so, what spring rate are you running? Will a 500# work? Do I need to go bigger? Thanx!!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Depends on the leverage rate of your suspension design.

What bike?

or

How much travel does your bike have, and what is the stroke length of the shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tracer 2 w/ 160mm travel. I believe the stroke is 2.5 inch

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That's roughly a 2.5:1 leverage ratio. I checked the spring rate calculator on the Fox site, and for a 250lb rider on that bike in the 160mm setting at 30% sag, it calls for a 500# spring.. Sounds like you are in the ballpark, but maybe someone will chime in that actually owns one with the CCDB.

http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...calculator.htm

Could depend on just how much sag you are comfortable with and how much 'bob' you're getting and willing to tolerate. If you want something closer to 25% sag, you may have to go up near 600#. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for your help Jeff! I run 30% sag on my rp23 now. I know I might have to try out a couple different spring rates anyway in order to get it to my liking. Just want to make sure I'm in the ballpark and not buying 3 or 4 springs. Although I've heard a lot of peeps end up doing that anyways until they're done experimenting. Thanks again

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Verns22
    Thanks for your help Jeff! I run 30% sag on my rp23 now. I know I might have to try out a couple different spring rates anyway in order to get it to my liking. Just want to make sure I'm in the ballpark and not buying 3 or 4 springs. Although I've heard a lot of peeps end up doing that anyways until they're done experimenting. Thanks again

Have you picked up the phone and called Cane Creek? Malcolm will get you sorted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nice!!! Good call Zero. Just got off the phone will Malcolm. He recommended 550# spring according to his calculations...I'm going with that