mtbr member

Spinergy Xyclone 29er Wheels???

Do any of you Clydes who are around 250lbs and ride aggressive, ride these XC and All Mountain style riding?

I read the reviews and a couple posts on here, but I am very curious on how durable they are for heavy riders like myself who are heavy, but in fairly good shape and ride aggressive. In other words, I like to catch air, and rollover a lot of roots at 15-20mph on a regular basis.

Let me know....Thanks
    Last edited by irideiam; 08-15-2013 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    100 views..Really, is nobody running these?
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    You might want to try the wheels and tires forum. I have the 26ers and love them. I have them on three of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eluv View Post
    You might want to try the wheels and tires forum. I have the 26ers and love them. I have them on three of my bikes.
    I'll give that a try.....Thanks
    Klunk on............

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You are a real clyde (I am a super clyde at just over 300). I would NEVER plan to ride a pre-built wheel set on the XC trails we have here in North Texas. If you are 250 and claim to be aggressive, I can only guess that these wheels won't hold up over time. The MSRP is $900 as well... you can build a set of wheels using King hubs, Velocity Blunt rims (wider than the Spinergy which would be better for AM riding IMHO) for less than that.

The Spinergy have a certain cool factor (I remember the X style Spinergy wheels that I drooled over when I was younger), but they are a cross country wheel set designed for an average sized rider; not an above average sized aggressive all mountain rider.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    You are a real clyde (I am a super clyde at just over 300). I would NEVER plan to ride a pre-built wheel set on the XC trails we have here in North Texas. If you are 250 and claim to be aggressive, I can only guess that these wheels won't hold up over time. The MSRP is $900 as well... you can build a set of wheels using King hubs, Velocity Blunt rims (wider than the Spinergy which would be better for AM riding IMHO) for less than that.

The Spinergy have a certain cool factor (I remember the X style Spinergy wheels that I drooled over when I was younger), but they are a cross country wheel set designed for an average sized rider; not an above average sized aggressive all mountain rider.
    I guess aggressive is relative based on skills and terrain. To clarify, I only ride XC and Trail in my neck of the woods, but I want a wheelset that is strong enough for someone my size to ride AM. All I know is I need some stronger wheels that will stay true. I am tired of truing my stock Maddux/Jalco X320s & WTB Trial Laser Disc wheels on two different bikes about every 2nd or 3rd ride and I ride 5-6 days a week.

Ya the Spinergy website says $899, but I can get them from a local shop for $589 or if you trust eBay they can be had for $549, with free shipping.

Ya, I have been thinking about the Velocity Blunts as well as Pacenti DL31 with 36 hole rear 32 hole front (to accommodate Lefty hub.) Leaning toward the Paul hubs.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by irideiam; 08-17-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    I can only vouch for the 26ers my first set back in 04 still true. Ride them today on my commuter.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, I am in a holding pattern between building wheels and buying brakes. I know from my last bike and trying a few "off the shelf" wheels before going to some custom built (Salsa Gordo and Shimano hubs). I won't waste time with the pre-build wheels again... some were okay, but none were as nice as the customs. I would DEFINITELY talk to your shop and explore building.... as Pontiac's slogan said.... Wider is better.
    Fat guys need bikes too.