mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Specific Bib Question

Iím looking for a pair of bib shorts and trying to decide between these two:

Pearl Izumi ELITE In-R-Coolģ Cycling Bib Shorts - UPF 50+ (For Men) - Save 40%

Louis Garneau Pro Feel 2 Bib Shorts - Nashbar Exclusive - Bib Shorts

Or is there something else around that price range I should check out?

I guess this is obvious, but the main thing Iím looking for is a good fit and good pad. Like everyone I want to spend as little as I need to, but I definitely canít go over $100 for this.

For reference, I currently have a pair of performance ultras which I suppose I like. Theyíre the only bike shorts Iíve worn, so I have no frame of reference, but my junk doesnít fall off after a ride or anything so I guess theyíre OK.

I mostly want a second pair for riding 2 days in a row, but Iím also hoping to find something thatís slightly bigger in the thighs. The ones I have now I have to grab a couple handfuls of material and pull quite hard to get them up to where the pad sits snugly against my bits. Theyíve held up so far, but itís only been a few months and I feel like Iím going to eventually rip a seam doing this.

I ordered a size up on the shorts I have (went with XL even though Iím at the bottom of the L range for waist size) and Iím glad I did. I have plenty of room in the waist but I definitely need the space in the legs and the overall height of the bibs. So any guidance on whether these brands run true to size or not would be really appreciated.

Iím 6í3Ē about 220lbs and I have a 36Ē waist. I have relatively short legs for my height (34Ē standover height barefoot, heels against a wall), so I suppose I have a longer than average torso. And as I alluded to, I have big legs.

Iíve read that the Italian brands tend to fit slimmer riders better and that PI and Louis Garneau run a little on the bigger side which is why Iíve focused on them.

Sorry for such a long post, I was just hoping to provide enough info to get some helpful replies.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wear these...

Pearl Izumi Attack Bib Bike Shorts - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

They are great as far as I'm concerned. I got them from REI on sale though. They were $79 when I got them. Glad I grabbed two pairs when I did.

I'm in the XL size and they fit great. I have probably a 40" waist and I'm 6'2" (255lbs) with a 32" inseam. I guess I'm average proportions, maybe a little short in the legs. My legs are fairly large too at 28" around the thigh. No problems with fit.

So my guess would be that the Pearl Izumi you linked to would fit ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got a pair from Aerotech and have had no issues. Think i paid like $60.00
    Men's Bib Shorts- For ultimate cycling comfort

mtbr member
    With bibs, you want them as tight as possible, like, glove tight. Having to grab material, and stretch and wiggle into them, is normal. No excess material should be bunching up anywhere. There should be no shifting between you and the bib, when moving around on the saddle. Loose fitting bibs can cause a variety of problems, some very unpleasant.

You want the straps tight, but not digging-in tight, and you buy bibs based on height / torso length mainly, not really waist size.

I'm 5'11" with 36" waist (wear a 38" in regular clothes though) and wear a L in PI and LG.

I like my PI and LG bibs.. maybe the LG chamois a little bit more. They both have good chamois, material, and fit, in my experience. There are more expensive bibs, that are probably a bit better for 100 mile road rides, but you pay for it.

mtbr member
    Once you find a brand of bibs that fit you keep going back. For me that's been Cannondale. Their stuff is on Nashbar all the time for great prices. I have them for all seasons and have never thought about another brand since my first Cannondale bib.
    He who dares....wins!

Vincit qui patitur
    I'm 6"1 235# 38" waist.
    I wear PI Elite In-r-cool in XL
    Great chamois and fit.
    Amazon for $75-$85 most of the time.
    I also have larger thighs and the fit great.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you for all the replies!