mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Specialized - 6'8" and minor dilemma (not really)

Looking for a new ride to replace my not-very-used '96 Y22.

Checked out my LBS - they happen to have a new old stock '09 FSR Stumper in XL. Rode it, loved it, breaks the budget, but could theoretically convince SWMBO that I need it.

Then I found out they also make it in an XXL - the XL felt really good, seat post was about to max, but have a yearning to go to the next size up.

So, I'm back to looking at the Rockhopper 29er LTD, pro, or expert. I really like the component set on the LTD - not super impressed with the SRAM stuff - at least the X7 I saw.

Any really tall guys running XL's?

Thanks!

Patrick

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by laxpatrick View Post
    Looking for a new ride to replace my not-very-used '96 Y22.

Checked out my LBS - they happen to have a new old stock '09 FSR Stumper in XL. Rode it, loved it, breaks the budget, but could theoretically convince SWMBO that I need it.

Then I found out they also make it in an XXL - the XL felt really good, seat post was about to max, but have a yearning to go to the next size up.

So, I'm back to looking at the Rockhopper 29er LTD, pro, or expert. I really like the component set on the LTD - not super impressed with the SRAM stuff - at least the X7 I saw.

Any really tall guys running XL's?

Thanks!

Patrick
    6'5" on a SJ FSR Exp. 29'er in XL. It fits pretty well. Initially I was right at the cross over between XL and XXL. I wondered if XXL would have been a better choice. However, I think XL is right for me as I've gotten used to my bike. You are 3" taller and I bet you would be happier with a XXL. If you can find a XXL somewhere I'd throw a leg over one and try it out. Specialized is having Demo days on their new 2012 bikes at various locations... Maybe they have an XXL you could try out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the thoughts - I appreciate it. Think the LTD is the way to go for me - seems like a good blend of components and I don't think it's worth going up to the Stumpjumper in my case (and the website doesn't show a 23 for the hardtails, which is odd...

Think if I went less than the LTD, I'd always be thinking - "I shoulda gone with the LTD..." Anyone in that boat vs. the Stumpie? The FSR? Granted the FSR with The Brain was nice - but not 4K nice. The XL they had at the shop was a 2009 and they wanted 3K for it. Darn nice, but I gotta try the XXL...

Thanks,

Patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you can, bring the Y-Bike to the shop and size it up next to an XL and XXL. I made a similar jump from an AMP B4 type copy in XL to a Niner XL. It is amazing how much larger the Niner is, makes the AMP look like a L or even a M.

That said, if Niner made a XXL I'd give it try as the seat is maxxxxxed out on my Jet.

Either way, I kind of envy you makeing that jump and getting back into the sport - you're going to have a great time and wonder why you ever left!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One more wrinkle I'm considering - Performance has their Access 9.9 on sale for 1599 - nice looking ride, comes with SRAM X9 components. I'm a Shimano guy traditionally, and I'm inclined to go with a bike that I can get fixed locally (former bike mechanic years ago). Have in otherwise narrowed down to the LTD or Pro - for the air shock difference. Wish the Pro came in something besides white - could be worse. Can't justify the extra $350 for the LTD... Can I?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm 6'8" / 225lbs and have been riding (seriously) about a year.
    I had purchased a Karate Monkey XL about 5 years ago, but never really took it to trails, then last year a friend helped spark a real interest and I immediately purchased a Spec SJ Expert XXL and about 5 months later I purchased a third bike, Spec SJ SS XXL. The SJ's are great do-all bikes and the XXL fits us taller guys better than most XL's. GF, Turner, Santa Cruz also have some XXL's
    In the near future, I'll be ordering a more racy carbon XXL, so will probably put my SJ Expert in the classifieds

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ordered a SJ Comp 29er in Xtra huge... Frame and better components sold me. Now the tough part - waiting!!!