mtbr member
    May 2010

Some opinions on a purchase please

Hey guys Im fairly new here and building a FS bike. I started in June at 263, currently at 220. I want this bike to be fairly light now that i know what im goign for. Im currently at the point of rim choice which comes down to Flows or arches in the 29 flavor. I know everyone is gonna say flows for my weight. My goal though is to be under 200, woudl it be too silly to get arches I want to build a light bike. I mostly do fire roads an occaional intermediate trail. I have a new buddy that i got into riding thats 300+lbs so i stick with him on the fire roads. So archs or flows?

I'm Slow
    Flows will of course take more abuse, but as long as you're not doing a bunch of drops, and the trails you ride isn't super rough you should be fine with getting the arches.

Also as a side note, if you have rear suspension it will be less abuse on the rear wheel, so If weights a big deal go arches I think you will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thank you..yes its going on a hei hei 29 and since im building it part by part im very conscious of the weight im putting on the bike without going nuts on price that is. Also sorry i know this topic probably has been beat to death as well.

I'm Slow
    I had the same question when I built my own bike. I went for flow, I'm still 260 and I love technical sections, so I am pretty rough to the wheels. and the extra weight wasn't a big deal to me. Post some pics when you get done.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    more opinions are welcome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't have any experience with either, but I don't think you'll notice the extra weight and you'll appreciate having something that holds up better. Go Flows.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I weigh 205 and have ridden both. If you are gonna run the little skinny tires (less than 2.1), go for the Arch's. If you're going a littler fatter with the tires, go with the Flows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24
    more opinions are welcome!
    You lost 43lbs. Don't worry about a few extra grams on your rims.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Underskilled
    +1 on what DJ said.

Do not listen to the propoganda of gram saving. It is not relevant for a clyde.
    You can produce MUCH more power than a skinny guy, you are not going to notice that extra weight.

What you will notice is that you can trust your equipment; nothing worse than avoiding fun bits of the ride as you are worried if your bike can take it.

My bike weighs 45lb, is a FS and I chase down roadies on the street (with my road tyres on). My bike weighs 2-3 times theirs, but I still chase most of them down (apart from one zoomy git this morning)
    My bike is also strong enough that on my commute I can do the 2.5m drop to flat, and smash into the flight of stairs at 20mph (which is the speed I need to do to clean in).

Get strong reliable equipment and disregard the weight. Weight Watching is for little girls (or those with the bodies of a little girl).

Fatter tyres, stronger rims, more spokes.

As your skill level increases you may start liking jumping, rock gardens & drops; I did.

Get 36 spokes if you have the option, read sheldons website if you want to know why.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Life is Go0d!

Gram crackers

It's much like anything else, there is durable, and light.. pick one. Same thing with suspension... platform, or plush... pick one.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    well there only 278 for the set mounted on x9 hubs. Not the hubs of choice but cheap none the less. I guess i will just go for the flows. then in the summer maybe ill buy the arches.

Former Bike Wrench
    I would get Flows even if I weighed 150lbs...I like wider rims. I don't lose sleep over 55g a rim, let the weight weenies debate that nonsense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Where are you getting them for 278 mounted on X9 hubs?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    aebikes.com
    components>wheels>front/rear>handspun>x9hubs. Thats specifically for a 29er though but im pretty sure they have others. free shipping too

Members who have read this thread: 0