mtbr member

So, for one of my goals...

I was thinking of getting a new bike. I've been bouncing the idea around of either another hardtail (custom built frame), or going the FS route. I've always been kinda put off the FS bike due to my current weight (~300 now). I was looking at doing the frame as a 50 pound loss goal. Of course, I think right now if I could afford a FS frame, i'd just do it. And since that's a def. possibility. What are some good FS frames that I could look at now. I'd be reusing my Reba (setup at 100mm now I think). I looked at Niner (RIP9).

What else is there for me to check out? I am not sure of my price range at this time.

Guess it might help to say my fork right now is not tapered.. I was hoping to be able to reuse it. (Seems they make adapters to use my older style steer tube in a tapered headset.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    most bikes can handle a 300#. I rode up to 335# and had no issues.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Most big mfg FS frames have a MAXIMUM weight of 300 pounds or less. What it comes down to is the bike shop you deal with. If they will stand behind the bike despite your weight (mine has told me they would stand behind me at 320 much less my goal of 280). There is another thread that is live about a Turner 5... and as stated in that thread, Turner doesn't have a weight limit on their bikes...

And your story sound familiar... my goal is to lose 40 pounds with the goal of buying a new bike. I want full suspension, but I think even a 29er hard tail would be nice... I am just about 1/4 the way to the goal now.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Heh, yeah.. I just gotta see what I feel like riding when the time comes around. I just need to get off my ass and ride more then a few days a week.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    Heh, yeah.. I just gotta see what I feel like riding when the time comes around. I just need to get off my ass and ride more then a few days a week.
    Tell me about it... I do landscaping for a part-time job this time of year and with temps at/above 100 and heat index at or above 107, it is HARD to get motivated about going outside "for free" after spending the extra time working in other people's yards.

I *think* I would be very happy with a 29er hardtail (all I have owned are hardtails and have never really complained), but I will give some FS some test rides when the time comes just to be sure.
    Fat guys need bikes too.