Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,766

    So Long, Thanks for the Fish...

    Gents,

    I've fallen out of your ranks.

    At the end of last year, I was b1tching to my wife about being out of shape, feeling run down and tired. Back in January I received the cholesteral results from my first old man physical and the numbers came back outside of norms. Basically, my bad cholesteral was 30 points too high. My doctor sent me the results with a note to call him to get a perscription for cholesteral medicine. And that smack of reality was the spark I needed.

    I committed to a lifestyle change (not a diet) that involved leaner proteins, fruits and veggies and complex carbs. I eliminated simple carbs and simple sugars (except for beer). I started a workout program that alternated days between a core exercise program (with free weights) and cardio (usually my road bike on a trainer). In short, I got my ass off the couch and in to the gym.

    At the end of April I went back to the doctor and retested my cholesteral. I'd dropped 20 pounds and 40 points from my bad level.

    As riding season started (trails are usually too muddy to ride in winter) I changed my cardio days to riding trails. I'd also skip some of my gym days to ride as well.

    At the beginning of June I changed my core workout to an overall strength building program with the help of the owner of the gym I'm working out at and I went back to 2-3 committed days in the gym a week.

    Last week, I started a short term nutrition program designed to push me over the hump and cut additional fat. For the next 12 weeks I'm eating ultra-lean protein, fewer carbs from almost anything but fruits and veggies (the exception is steel cut oats), no fat (including cooking oils) other than what comes from fish and worst of all, no beer.

    While I have absolutely no weight loss goal, weight loss in addition to back pain, overall strength and feeling good are my progress gauges.

    Starting weight: 231
    Current weight: 186

    Starting back pain (1-10 scale): 8-9 (with an extruded disc plus ciatica in my right leg being a 10)
    Current back pain: 3-4 depending on the day

    I still ride like a Clyde, I just not carrying the 200 pound requirement.

    Cheers, gents. I'll see you on the trails.

    Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: taterbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Gents,

    I've fallen out of your ranks.

    At the end of last year, I was b1tching to my wife about being out of shape, feeling run down and tired. Back in January I received the cholesteral results from my first old man physical and the numbers came back outside of norms. Basically, my bad cholesteral was 30 points too high. My doctor sent me the results with a note to call him to get a perscription for cholesteral medicine. And that smack of reality was the spark I needed.

    I committed to a lifestyle change (not a diet) that involved leaner proteins, fruits and veggies and complex carbs. I eliminated simple carbs and simple sugars (except for beer). I started a workout program that alternated days between a core exercise program (with free weights) and cardio (usually my road bike on a trainer). In short, I got my ass off the couch and in to the gym.

    At the end of April I went back to the doctor and retested my cholesteral. I'd dropped 20 pounds and 40 points from my bad level.

    As riding season started (trails are usually too muddy to ride in winter) I changed my cardio days to riding trails. I'd also skip some of my gym days to ride as well.

    At the beginning of June I changed my core workout to an overall strength building program with the help of the owner of the gym I'm working out at and I went back to 2-3 committed days in the gym a week.

    Last week, I started a short term nutrition program designed to push me over the hump and cut additional fat. For the next 12 weeks I'm eating ultra-lean protein, fewer carbs from almost anything but fruits and veggies (the exception is steel cut oats), no fat (including cooking oils) other than what comes from fish and worst of all, no beer.

    While I have absolutely no weight loss goal, weight loss in addition to back pain, overall strength and feeling good are my progress gauges.

    Starting weight: 231
    Current weight: 186

    Starting back pain (1-10 scale): 8-9 (with an extruded disc plus ciatica in my right leg being a 10)
    Current back pain: 3-4 depending on the day

    I still ride like a Clyde, I just not carrying the 200 pound requirement.

    Cheers, gents. I'll see you on the trails.

    Ken
    Congratulations to you Ken. I am in the process right now of making the same changes. I hope I am as successful as you have been!
    Currently reviewing an Ibex Maroc 29er

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    253
    Congrats Ken that is wonderful news. I wih I could do that

  4. #4
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,999
    Nice work Ken, congrats.

  5. #5
    Oh Yeah Baby
    Reputation: Shocker99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    152
    Thats great to hear Ken.

    Please give me/us some more details on your short term nutrition program. I just dropped 45-50lbs myself and have taken a small break for a bday and the holiday. I have maintained my weight loss(@232lbs) but I am really looking for a stricter program to attack another 20-25lbs. I am curious as to how "no fat" will work out and how much energy you will have. How many calories a day are you starting out at.

    Thanks goodness I have no problem dropping the brews when I need to. Best of luck to you.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anesthesia-matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    215
    Congrats Ken,

    I too have lost about the same as you. Started at 230 lbs in January this year, down to 185lbs @ 6'2".

    I'll pass along the nutrition I have been following, its the Paleo for Athletes. It's basically what you are doing now Ken, but include healthy oils (i.e. olive oil) in your diet. These fats actually help your body burn fat more efficiently.

    I also use two books for my exercise/training, the first is Maximum Performance for Cyclists by Michael J. Ross & Mountain Bikers Training Bible by Joe Friel. They both go through the proper way to train for cycling and specific exercises/types of riding to improve cycling performance. The first is more road bike specific and the second more MTB specific. They both also go into when/what to eat pre-ride, during your ride and post-ride.

    Good Luck and Congrats again!!!!

  7. #7
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,766

    Thanks...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker99 View Post
    Thats great to hear Ken.

    Please give me/us some more details on your short term nutrition program. I just dropped 45-50lbs myself and have taken a small break for a bday and the holiday. I have maintained my weight loss(@232lbs) but I am really looking for a stricter program to attack another 20-25lbs. I am curious as to how "no fat" will work out and how much energy you will have. How many calories a day are you starting out at.

    Thanks goodness I have no problem dropping the brews when I need to. Best of luck to you.

    Short term nutrition program that John Brown (the owner Revolution Gym) provided me is attached below. Basically, I eat 5 meals a day with 2 of the 5 being a protein shake. I feel full almost all day. I'm not on any calorie count but I am limited to 171 grams of protein/day.

    I'm in the gym getting my ass kicked by John at least 2, sometimes 3 times a week. I'm riding as many times as I can during when I'm not in the gym.

    12 week grocery list

    Apples
    Asparagus
    Steel cut oatmeal
    Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Flank steak
    Greek yogurt
    Non fat cottage cheese
    Albacore tuna
    Tilapia
    Salmon
    Raw spinach
    Liquid egg whites
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Cabbage
    Lettuce
    Gladiator or Amplify Protein powder
    Natural peanut butter
    Frozen or fresh shrimp
    Sweet potatoes
    Pure protein bars
    Edamame
    Celery
    Blueberries
    Tomatoes
    Onions
    Jalapeņos


    Eat every 3 hours... Protein with each meal.

    Need 0.9 grams of protein per lb of body weight

    No carbs after 3rd meal (12pm)

    Minimum of 1 gallon of water a day

    2 protein & water shakes a day.

    Multiple vitamins

    1 bar a day before 12pm
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anesthesia-matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    215
    Looks like a great plan

    One other thing I can pass along is, which you may already be doing. Use FRESH fruit, veggies and meats. Some can fruits contain high fructose corn syrup (bad), and canned meat and veggies are loaded with salt. All the extra salt causes water to third space into your extracellular spaces and is basically unusable by your body. If you're not already watching you sodium intake, decrease it and you wont believe how much better you feel.

    I could tell a huge difference in energy when I cut out processed foods and high sodium foods.

    If you have anything to share back...post it up!!

  9. #9
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,766

    Great points..

    Quote Originally Posted by anesthesia-matt View Post
    Looks like a great plan

    One other thing I can pass along is, which you may already be doing. Use FRESH fruit, veggies and meats. Some can fruits contain high fructose corn syrup (bad), and canned meat and veggies are loaded with salt. All the extra salt causes water to third space into your extracellular spaces and is basically unusable by your body. If you're not already watching you sodium intake, decrease it and you wont believe how much better you feel.

    I could tell a huge difference in energy when I cut out processed foods and high sodium foods.

    If you have anything to share back...post it up!!
    Great points, Matt. You're right. I should have mentioned that. With the exception of some tuna packs and the organic peanut butter, all the food I've eaten is fresh. No canned anything.

    I agree w your points on oil and I miss them the most so far (especially olive oil). I keep telling myself that this very strict diet is temporary and is only designed to get me to a position where I can go back to eating a more normal diet.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    62
    Congrats Ken!! Even though that makes you a big time loser!
    GF Paragon
    Marin Alpine Trail 29er
    RIP 9!

  11. #11
    Dorkimus Prime
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,438
    Hey Ken,

    I suppose I could congratulate you too, but I'll go the honest route instead. You've been a sandbaggin' wannabe clyde for years! When I tried to ride with you a half dozen years ago, you were calling yourself a clyde even then. You rode like Pedro Delgado on a mountain bike!

    Seriously though, I'm in a similar boat. My Wife has calculated that I've put on 8 pounds every year since we met, leaving me at 254 right now. The discipline to start a program, or regimen, is so tough!

    Great work, hopefully soon, I'll be able to say goodbye to these gents too....

    Take care,
    Ed
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bvibert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    797
    Nice work!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    533
    Great work! I don't think anyone would mind your continued posts/advice! Getting the last 10-15 is 'effin tough! Your diet advice is right on! I'm not certain I understand the peanut butter and sweet potatoes though...

    I'm 6'5" and am having one hell of a time getting under 200! I'm stuck ~210 right now and I am focusing on climbing/cardio/strength and while maintaining a healthy diet w/o being extreme! If I drop 10 more I'd be a happy guy. If my climbing and cardio continue to improve and I don't drop any more that's fine too.

  14. #14
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,766

    You're really boosting my Net cred....

    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Hey Ken,

    I suppose I could congratulate you too, but I'll go the honest route instead. You've been a sandbaggin' wannabe clyde for years! When I tried to ride with you a half dozen years ago, you were calling yourself a clyde even then. You rode like Pedro Delgado on a mountain bike!

    Seriously though, I'm in a similar boat. My Wife has calculated that I've put on 8 pounds every year since we met, leaving me at 254 right now. The discipline to start a program, or regimen, is so tough!

    Great work, hopefully soon, I'll be able to say goodbye to these gents too....

    Take care,
    Ed
    Hummm..... Your account of my riding ability seems drastically overstated.

    The discipline/motivation is absolutely the hardest part. Riding more is easy. The diet was harder and until it became a habit, required a constant internal monolog along the lines of "stay focused, stay healthy, don't eat the Twinkie". It probably contained more cuss words but you get the point. One thing I would do is reward myself. If I ate heathly for x number of days, I'd go eat Mexican, a juicy cheese burger, etc. This really helped me with mini-targets that would help me stay focused.

    Getting to the gym was the hardest. It wasn't until I started working out in a small group that I started going on an absolutely regular basis. For me, it's a lot harder to stay committed to going to work out if that committment is only to myself. When other people are expecting me to show up, I try a lot hard to get there.

    Another thing that I didn't do was beat myself up for missing workouts. I would recognize that I missed, determine whether there was a legitimate reason for missing (life happens) but even if my "reason" was actually an excuse, I didn't beat myself up about it but rather made a promise to myself to make sure that I would be there for the next workout.

    One thing I did at the outset that seemed to help was I changed my snacks. I stopped eating whatever I had a craving for and would only eat nuts and fruit. My standards are almonds and grapes.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  15. #15
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,766

    Well....

    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn View Post
    Great work! I don't think anyone would mind your continued posts/advice! Getting the last 10-15 is 'effin tough! Your diet advice is right on! I'm not certain I understand the peanut butter and sweet potatoes though...

    I'm 6'5" and am having one hell of a time getting under 200! I'm stuck ~210 right now and I am focusing on climbing/cardio/strength and while maintaining a healthy diet w/o being extreme! If I drop 10 more I'd be a happy guy. If my climbing and cardio continue to improve and I don't drop any more that's fine too.
    I don't understand the peanut butter too much either. It seems contradictory to everything else on the list. I'm not complaining too much because it sure helps the celery go down easier.

    Sweet potatos are almost all fiber and fairly low carbs. I cube and bake them. I'll add a little salt and hot sauce to them and they're really tasty.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  16. #16
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,766

    Forgot to add...

    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn View Post
    Great work! I don't think anyone would mind your continued posts/advice! Getting the last 10-15 is 'effin tough! Your diet advice is right on! I'm not certain I understand the peanut butter and sweet potatoes though...

    I'm 6'5" and am having one hell of a time getting under 200! I'm stuck ~210 right now and I am focusing on climbing/cardio/strength and while maintaining a healthy diet w/o being extreme! If I drop 10 more I'd be a happy guy. If my climbing and cardio continue to improve and I don't drop any more that's fine too.
    The reason for the short term diet is to cut the fat (weight will come off as a result). This isn't a diet that I think is sustainable long term. Once I reach my goal, I'll go back to an approach that is the lifestyle change vs. "diet".

    You're right, the last few pounds are toughest. That's why I went so drastic. I'd basically hit a wall where I wasn't progessing so this was a kick start to help get over the hump. What I'm anticipating is that once I've leaned up, I'll be able to maintain somewhere close to a new norm for weight. And I'll be able to start drinking beer again.

    Cheers,

    Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    The reason for the short term diet is to cut the fat (weight will come off as a result). This isn't a diet that I think is sustainable long term. Once I reach my goal, I'll go back to an approach that is the lifestyle change vs. "diet".

    You're right, the last few pounds are toughest. That's why I went so drastic. I'd basically hit a wall where I wasn't progessing so this was a kick start to help get over the hump. What I'm anticipating is that once I've leaned up, I'll be able to maintain somewhere close to a new norm for weight. And I'll be able to start drinking beer again.

    Cheers,

    Ken
    I may PM you for more details! I lost about 100lbs last year and got down to ~203 Nov. last year. Then I got knocked off the wagon by travel, Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, work and the crappy weather. Thus I've been range bound for 7-8 months. I've just figured out a way to get more riding in and diet is generally pretty good. I think my family and my evening hunger are conspiring to keep me range bound. If you have more details on how to get rid the last 15lbs I'd be eternally grateful. People tell me I'm thin but I want to, in an ideal world, get down to 190-195.

  18. #18
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,632
    You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave

Similar Threads

  1. Thanks fish
    By DankyCass in forum Arizona
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM
  2. New Fish!
    By DezFX in forum Gary Fisher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
  3. Which Fish.
    By CRich814 in forum Gary Fisher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
  4. Bent Fish to new Fish
    By paintballeerXC in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •