Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So i'm a broke ass clydesdale, is a xl 29er big enough for 6'5 260?

4K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  jeffj 
#1 ·
So right now I am borrowing a 26" wheel hard tail Medium maybe large frame I do not know MTB from a friend, First bike I have ever ridden in my adult years, I feel like it is much too small for me (but what do I know) Well I am also a broke dick that spends all of his money on motorcycles and hookers, I mean motorcycle parts. I am looking on craigslist for a bike for me, 6'5 260lbs or so. In southern NV there is not a whole lot of people biking here (that I can tell) Only 29er's I can find on CL are "XL" frames, would that be large enough for me or should I be looking for something larger? xxl? Please tell me what to do all mighty bicycle guys

#28 ·
Great price on the goblin. Are you going to do the repair on your own? I'd highly recommend it for everything but the fork. Tearing into a high dollar suspension fork is tricky, but the brakes and derailure adjustments are great things to know how to do. Youtube is your friend.

Before you ride it a crazy amount, I'd check the reba fork to make sure it's in good working order. If the previous owner burned through a set of brake pads, he's used it. He might not have maintained it though. no need to take it apart or anything, but just clean up the stanchions and make sure there isn't any play. Standard maintenace of looking for leaking oil and that the sag is about 30%.

If the diamondback has a suntour XCT fork, I'd swap it out for a rigid fork in time. A chromoly 29er fork (redline monocog has one) would be a lot of fun for rigid rides through hardpack. Not as much fun on big rocks and roots, but small ones would be fine.

#29 ·
I'm not too scared of the forks, I rebuild all the suspension on my race bikes (Dirt bikes) I can't imagine there more complicated then a set of WP twin chamber KTM forks hah... The derailers i'm having a hard time getting, I'll check out youtube today and see if I can;t find a good video. And I do not think I would be interested in a rigid bike, We do not have anything smooth around these parts, we do not have dirt around these parts, we have rocks... and then smaller rocks smashed up between them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.