Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

Slow riding Clyde

Just wondering, do the people you ride with ever hold back because you are a clyde. Or do you kick their a$$ in spite of it?

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    Just wondering, do the people you ride with ever hold back because you are a clyde. Or do you kick their a$$ in spite of it?
    No, they generally leave me in the dust on the uphills, and I kill them on the DH/Flats (on a 29er). Being a former roadie, it is not hard to do, as none of them know how to spin . . .

Can't wait to finish my SS, as I will then DOMINATE them . . .

Flaccid Member

Burn session

We break up into a couple of groups... the slow group leaves 10 minutes early on weeknight rides, say 6:10 pm. the faster guys/ group leaves at 6:20 to 6:30, hellbent on catching and beating us. Everyone, every group, at their own pace, it's not much of a chit chat ride. We have enough chit chat GTG's to save the talk for then, or for the steep fast single track descent after 1200 to 2,000 feet vertical gain to get back to the cars. You don't work that hard to get that good with all that training/riding without being highly competitive.
    It's all good, let them pass me.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Singletrack groupie
    Just keep pushing yourself. Rode with a buddy a month or so ago he left me in the dust...went riding with him last week after riding 4-5x a week since. I believe the phrase was "You're kickin' my ass dude." So keep riding, feels pretty good to see improvement.

Former Bike Wrench
    I seem to ride like a diesel truck...I'm usually last in the group at the beginning of rides, middle of the pack midway through, and when everyone else is running out of gas at the end of the ride...I'm still going the same speed at the front of the pack.

and B+W too
    This thread is very topical for me as I went out riding with a friend last weekend who I'd not ridden with before. He was very very fast and I spent most of the hilly 29miles holding him back.

Comments such as "you're doing great" etc. seemed to wind me up rather than make me feel good about things, especially after he told me he never uses his granny ring Throughout the ride he was pulling occasional 5 yard wheelies alongside me while I was taking ages getting up steep bits. I guess he was bored with my slow progress.

There were some fast DH bits and technical descents during the ride and I must admit I struggled to keep up and match his skill in the rock garden bits.

I crashed three times during the ride, smacking my ribs in at speed on the first, dinging my knees in on the second and putting a nice bruise on my elbow on the third (pic available on request ).

All in, I was totally done in at the finish. I guess there are lessons to be learnt but at the moment I'm still feeling a bit tired
    [SIZE=2]MCM#: Googolplex[/SIZE]

long standing member
    On our local club group "novice" rides over the summer I was always the last one on the climb. Typically our rides consisted of climbing up, riding across a ridge and then back down. Generally on the flat/techy sections I'd be mid to front pack and on the downhills generally toward the front of the pack. Being heavy is a definite disadvantage when climbing. Of course, it didn't help that I was riding a 40lb RFX and most others were on sub-30lb HTs.

Fat, but working on it...
    I ride by myself because of this very issue. There are very few clydes around here. Most everyone is in the 140-160 lb range. I can hang on the flats, but not on the climbs. Some of them make smart ass comments, but most of them just wait at the top and claim they don't mind.

But, I hate knowing they have to wait on me, so I just ride by myself so I can go at my own pace and not have to worry about ruining anyone else's ride...
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

and B+W too
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCosmo
    I ride by myself because of this very issue. There are very few clydes around here. Most everyone is in the 140-160 lb range. I can hang on the flats, but not on the climbs. Some of them make smart ass comments, but most of them just wait at the top and claim they don't mind.

But, I hate knowing they have to wait on me, so I just ride by myself so I can go at my own pace and not have to worry about ruining anyone else's ride...
    I agree with you, but my friend convinced me for over a week to ride with him...I can't see him asking me again to be honest BUT, he's not going to put me off riding my MTB where I like, when I like and how fast/slow I like

It's all relative I guess, I mean, my mate blitzed me on that weekend ride but he'd get smashed out of sight by a pro XC rider.

banned
    I generally ride with a buddy of mine that I met on the trails, m2gunner. When we met I knew immediately that we could ride together and their would be no ego's involved. We are both older and larger and go at about the same pace. So it works out OK

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlueGreen
    This thread is very topical for me as I went out riding with a friend last weekend who I'd not ridden with before. He was very very fast and I spent most of the hilly 29miles holding him back.

Comments such as "you're doing great" etc. seemed to wind me up rather than make me feel good about things, especially after he told me he never uses his granny ring Throughout the ride he was pulling occasional 5 yard wheelies alongside me while I was taking ages getting up steep bits. I guess he was bored with my slow progress.

There were some fast DH bits and technical descents during the ride and I must admit I struggled to keep up and match his skill in the rock garden bits.

I crashed three times during the ride, smacking my ribs in at speed on the first, dinging my knees in on the second and putting a nice bruise on my elbow on the third (pic available on

request ).

All in, I was totally done in at the finish. I guess there are lessons to be learnt but at the moment I'm still feeling a bit tired
    Are you sure you weren't posing as me at the So Cal Kernville / Keyesville GTG? I got some messed up ribs, as sore now as they were Friday night when the adrenaline and brewskis wore off.

Left

Right

5000 foot descent to the arrow at the far side of that lake.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Former Bike Wrench
    I like to ride with my dog a lot. She's trained to stay behind me when I'm on the bike so I never feel like I'm going too slow!

Black Sheep rising
    Seeing as how I am old and fat, I tend to stick with the slow bunch in our local group rides. The funny thing is, the slow bunch seems to be all girls and me. Dunno how that happened.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

and B+W too
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Are you sure you weren't posing as me at the So Cal Kernville / Keyesville GTG? I got some messed up ribs, as sore now as they were Friday night when the adrenaline and brewskis wore off.
    5000 foot descent to the arrow at the far side of that lake.
    Yikes! looks nasty man! I hope you're looking after those rashes? sounds like we're brothers in arms!

Here's my elbow piccy Funnily enough, It's no where near as sore as my ribs.

Fat guy on a bike
    I mostly ride alone. I climb so damned slow on these silly steep So-Cal trails. I go down pretty slow too as I am a weenie (actually the rocks here tend to be bad obstacles to a 26" hardtail).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm always torn on this one now. In the beginning (2 1/2years ago) I was almost 60 pounds heavier and no where near the rider I am now. (3-4 times a week) and now a full season of DH on me. So, after a couple of group rides. I decided to ride alone for a while. Which i actually enjoyed. But at the beginning of this year, I tried to go on a group ride again and found I was a lot faster and could keep up with some of the group!!

Now, I have a group of guys that i go DH with (No up hills!!) and I pick and choose which trail group rides I go on. The ones with the killer hills I avoid. (I still do the trails but alone)

But, no matter what my friends tell me when and if they have to wait for me. I always feel self conscious when I'm the last one.
    But flats and DH... I have no problem keeping up or passing people!

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    I'm always torn on this one now. In the beginning (2 1/2years ago) I was almost 60 pounds heavier and no where near the rider I am now. (3-4 times a week) and now a full season of DH on me. So, after a couple of group rides. I decided to ride alone for a while. Which i actually enjoyed. But at the beginning of this year, I tried to go on a group ride again and found I was a lot faster and could keep up with some of the group!!

Now, I have a group of guys that i go DH with (No up hills!!) and I pick and choose which trail group rides I go on. The ones with the killer hills I avoid. (I still do the trails but alone)

But, no matter what my friends tell me when and if they have to wait for me. I always feel self conscious when I'm the last one.
    But flats and DH... I have no problem keeping up or passing people!
    Hey, don't sweat it. If you get with a good group, your speed won't matter. I am often the slowest (because I am old and fat), but I make light of it. Almost nobody minds, and those that do can piss off and ride alone. Group rides are usually not designed to be hammer-fests. They are a more social activity.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo
    Hey, don't sweat it. If you get with a good group, your speed won't matter. I am often the slowest (because I am old and fat), but I make light of it. Almost nobody minds, and those that do can piss off and ride alone. Group rides are usually not designed to be hammer-fests. They are a more social activity.

I think it varies from group to group. The riders in our club, while supportive of newbies, are full of smack talk. They tend to look at every club ride as a training ride for their next race. Most of them will smile at you and ask "Extra Credit, you in?" to do more vertical and extra laps.
    They seem to forget what I weigh and what it takes calorie wise to haul my fat ass up 1500 vertical feet is almost double what theirs is, due to one rider weighing in at 125 pounds. Don'[t get me wrong, he is the most mellow guy you ever met, soft spoken, but get him hammering on some pedals and he'll bury you in his dust. He lets his actions speak louder than words.
    I would ride with him anywhere, if I could keep up. He's super knowledgeable and helpful to this beginner.

Rollin' on 29s!
    On my road bike, I can keep up (or beat) almost anyone I ride with, except for big hills. On the mountain bike, I'm slower than just about everyone else I ride with. Not from my legs, but just from lack of skill/confidence and/or going slow 'cause I'm a chicken. As my skillz improve, so will my speed.

mtbr member

I have smoked many smaller riders and...

been smoked too. On the flats and down hill I usuallly am one of the fastest, uphill one of the slowest. Still I take great pride in being able to climb, its the hardest thing for a clyde to do, plus I enjoy it. One of the hardest things for me is that it takes me 30-45mins to warm up. A lot of little guys hit the trail flying and I am off the back from the start. A lot of times I ride alone and do my own thing, little people dont understand my need to warm up. I have placed a few times in races so I know I am not slow. just need to warm up.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Making fat cool since '71
    If folks are rude/impatient/condescending/etc to a slower rider (whether they are just slow, out of shape, timid, fat, all of the above or something different) I find it amazing that a person would subject themselves to continued riding with those folks/that group. I totally get the idea of wanting to "prove" one's self, or improve one's self, but riding with ***** is still riding with ***** and not much fun IMNHO.

I hold the, very, strong opinion that this whole riding thing is about having fun/enjoyment. I've become fitter due to it and find most of my desire to not become fat (fatter...again...) is so my riding does not suffer; this does not, for me, mean I don't try to get better and better at riding, but I don't ever (ever) let anything be the main point of the riding other than fun/relaxation/fellowship. Even when I used to race dh it was because it was fun to pin-it and see how well I could run. It stopped being fun...I stopped competitive racing. Now it's only "...last one to the trailhead buys the first round..." type crap.

I agree with some of the stated (and intimated) things about it's difficult for "us" since we do often hold back the faster riders/hammerhead (pencil necks as we used to call them in football). I've found, with the crew I ride with (Disciples Of Dirt), the vast majority of the really fast riders (racers, fitness geeks, etc) are the coolest ones to ride with as they are very helpful with climbing and fitness help. They have never been condescending or impatient and now that I'm a "middle pack" climber I actually get to hear them encourage other, slower, riders and hear some of the conversations I never got to hear because they were waiting on me and I must say they tend to get most agitated when "we" (slower riders) keep apologizing for being slow. They want to have fun as well and , the good people, enjoy seeing "us" improve and enjoy helping "us" and sometimes learn from "us."

If the folks put a trip on you that you are riding slow...screw them. Keep looking for a mellow crew to ride with. If you are putting a trip on yourself...ask the faster riders if they have any rides they would take you on which would help you get better at whatever aspect you suck at (for me...fitness...go figure). I bet you would be, pleasantly, surprised at the willingness many would have to help. Once again though, if they are a dick...to hell with them. The wheels have to stop turning at some point...

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

NMBP
    As a Clyde, I am a slow climber. However when it comes to the downhill, I can coast faster than some can pedal. Mass is your friend going descending (until you need to stop).
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

and B+W too
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    If folks are rude/impatient/condescending/etc to a slower rider (whether they are just slow, out of shape, timid, fat, all of the above or something different) I find it amazing that a person would subject themselves to continued riding with those folks/that group. I totally get the idea of wanting to "prove" one's self, or improve one's self, but riding with ***** is still riding with ***** and not much fun IMNHO.

I hold the, very, strong opinion that this whole riding thing is about having fun/enjoyment. I've become fitter due to it and find most of my desire to not become fat (fatter...again...) is so my riding does not suffer; this does not, for me, mean I don't try to get better and better at riding, but I don't ever (ever) let anything be the main point of the riding other than fun/relaxation/fellowship. Even when I used to race dh it was because it was fun to pin-it and see how well I could run. It stopped being fun...I stopped competitive racing. Now it's only "...last one to the trailhead buys the first round..." type crap.

I agree with some of the stated (and intimated) things about it's difficult for "us" since we do often hold back the faster riders/hammerhead (pencil necks as we used to call them in football). I've found, with the crew I ride with (Disciples Of Dirt), the vast majority of the really fast riders (racers, fitness geeks, etc) are the coolest ones to ride with as they are very helpful with climbing and fitness help. They have never been condescending or impatient and now that I'm a "middle pack" climber I actually get to hear them encourage other, slower, riders and hear some of the conversations I never got to hear because they were waiting on me and I must say they tend to get most agitated when "we" (slower riders) keep apologizing for being slow. They want to have fun as well and , the good people, enjoy seeing "us" improve and enjoy helping "us" and sometimes learn from "us."

If the folks put a trip on you that you are riding slow...screw them. Keep looking for a mellow crew to ride with. If you are putting a trip on yourself...ask the faster riders if they have any rides they would take you on which would help you get better at whatever aspect you suck at (for me...fitness...go figure). I bet you would be, pleasantly, surprised at the willingness many would have to help. Once again though, if they are a dick...to hell with them. The wheels have to stop turning at some point...

Brock...
    I couldn't agree more, not least with maintaining the fun aspect of our riding. So I'm not going at Olympic final pace...so what, I'm enjoying my riding!

I am that guy...
    I hate that feeling; holding everyone else up.. Sure they wait for me, then as soon as I get to where they are waiting, the say, "ok, lets go!" and take off. Some times I wonder if they are just trying to tell me something.
    I wish there was a way I could fast forward the rest of this work day…

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by wanna-be
    I hate that feeling; holding everyone else up.. Sure they wait for me, then as soon as I get to where they are waiting, the say, "ok, lets go!" and take off. Some times I wonder if they are just trying to tell me something.
    I have riders in my club that I prefer not riding with. Everything becomes a race, and you only see them at the start of the ride. Why bother, I'm just as good at riding by myself as anyone. I mostly ride with guys who have similar fitness levels, and none of them race. Makes for a more relaxed and social ride.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast