Thread: Slow ride....

mtbr member

Slow ride....

Take it easy.. Well more like, suffer in the heat. I totally forgot to pack some goodies in my Camelbak today. I normally throw some Dots and some beef jerky in there, but forgot to. At least I had two banannas pre-ride. I think that got me through the first half, but damn. Hit the back of the trail and I was just sapped of all energy. Been tracking my rides recently with my HTC EVO. Need to see if I'm improving. But the Central Texas sun can be harsh.

I really don't think I was at rest as long as this program said I was.

And damn... I'm slow.. But this clyde wants to loose weight!

BTW, what would be something else good to use as fuel when riding? I've trued some of those GU shots, and they can be down right nasty when hot.

mtbr member
    That's only 6 miles? It looks MUCH longer than that. Regardless...looks like it was a good ride and who cares about speed...you were out there doing it...lol...good ride.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna come across as a prick here and fat guy hypocrite, but I don't understand how someone needs mid ride food on a trip around 6 miles with barely any elevation change. Sorry and I am not trying to be insensitive to your plight. We all have to start somewhere.

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree that you normally shouldn't need a mid-ride snack on a ride less than a couple of hours long. However, there have been a few times for me, both skiing and biking, where I've bonked* within the first half-hour. Both times, I think it was a case of not enough food or water beforehand, combined with going too hard right off the bat. For those times, having some simple sugars can at least give you enough to get going again.

OP: For your "What's good fuel?" question, I prefer stuff that's NOT pure processed sugars, like Gu. I think an orange or raisins or some apple juice is nearly as good for a quick hit of sugar, and tastes a hell of a lot better.

*I mean really bonking, as in getting the cold sweats and the shakes, along with either losing breakfast or nearly losing it.

mtbr member
    I've been off a bike for 2.5 years or so and in that time I did 0 exercise. So, I feel like a beginner and having to start all over again.Getting back into riding at the worst possible time (all the heat is starting). Afternoon rides I do better on, but anything before noon, I just die out really quick. That and the heat just sucks the life out of me.

While this place isn't really technical, it had some stupid climbs. The long climbs that are very gradual kill me. Thats what I get for being out of shape. I also don't really eat before my rides,which is my fault and the source of bringing something to snack on. Being diabetic, I also like to keep something on hand for when the blood sugars come crashing down, which has happened on a few rides when it's hot out.

The snack, well, that just gives me time to rest, relax and look at everything around. Plus, who can turn down some good beef jerky?

mtbr member
    I think part of it is just being out of shape. I just started riding a little over a year ago and at first I could barely go a mile, but now 6 is just warming up. Please don't take my criticism too hardly, whatever it takes for you to stay on the bike is best. But I highly recommend fruit, or PBJ.

mtbr member
    Yeah.. When I was riding more, I had no problems doing 12 miles. But now, it just sucks ass. I tried taking a apple with me on a ride, but damn, a 100f apple isn't the best food to eat. heh. Would going a dehydrated route on fruit be a bad choice for in ride snacks?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    7.4 MPH average at Walnut Creek IMO is not slow. I can average 10 and 11 MPH at places like Slaughter Creek and Dana Peak.

Today I rode BLORA and Dana Peak back to back. 8.5 miles BLORA average 7.5 and 6.25 miles Dana at 10.0 average.

Decidedly racer boys ride 30-50% faster than me and I really ddon't care.

Gu Chomps. Orange, Strawberry, Watermelon and Pomegranite. The tire place that always advertises here usually has em cheaper than I can find at other places but in a pinch I'll get several packs at a REI or the LBS.

I usually need soething in the course of a 12 mile span.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Try eating something a bit before you ride (30 minutes to an hour) and nothing but water or sports drink on the shorter rides. I would stick with something with more protein than carbs so you get a longer burning fuel source. I would also try picking a pace you can ride for an hour or two with minimal rest breaks. It may take a while to get your endurance back - but you can do it. Hope to see you on the trail.

I'm no expert on any of this (nutrition or training). I'm just commenting based on what seems to work for me. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been there... Not diagnosed diabetic but I was likely insulin resistant. I tried dehydrated fruit... It was good. However, there are better things for fuel for long rides. When you're starting back 1hr riding or 2hrs total seems like a lot and it is for the shape you're in.

I do not know how diabetes figures in...

Your body used fat for low for fuel for low intensity (
    Lastly, your body will adapt over time. Be patient and stick with it! If you stick with it by next summer you'll wonder how you could have possibly stopped "after so little riding".

mtbr member
    Yeah.. I'm need to gear up for this weekends ride. Rented a cabin at a state park close by that has 2 good places to ride within 20 miles. Wanting to do 2 12+ mile rides. I do pretty good at pushing myself. But we'll see how it goes. If nothing else I'll have 2 good rides with some damn fine BBQ'ed food in the middle.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Thats sounds like alot of fun. I know I would be excited if it were me heading to the state park.

I still consider myself quite the novice and usually the main loop I ride around here take approx. 45 minutes to go 6 miles. A few elevation changes but not a ton of climbing. You'll get a nice ride in thats for sure.

Have a great time, enjoy the ride, and enjoy the bar-b-que.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn View Post
    I've been there... Not diagnosed diabetic but I was likely insulin resistant. I tried dehydrated fruit... It was good. However, there are better things for fuel for long rides. When you're starting back 1hr riding or 2hrs total seems like a lot and it is for the shape you're in.

I do not know how diabetes figures in...

Your body used fat for low for fuel for low intensity (
    Lastly, your body will adapt over time. Be patient and stick with it! If you stick with it by next summer you'll wonder how you could have possibly stopped "after so little riding".
    Unfortunately with Diabetes your sugar doesn't just get to incredibly high levels. It also can come crashing down especially in the middle of exercise because that glycogen can be easily wiped out. And by down I mean to the point where you could just collapse and have a tough time even moving.

The plan that you lay out though should work perfectly for a diabetic. Easily digestible carbs are exactly what a diabetic needs in that situation and eating those things right when you start to feel the start of the lows could get you out of it.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nothing like stopping on your ride and have the feeling that everything is rushing away from you very quickly. That's what usually happens to me. That is my main reason for keeping something to snack on around. Though, I should get a bracelet or necklace stating my condition, that way if I was ever found on the ground totally out of it..