mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Slightly different story:

Ok, I know this is the Clydesdales area and the majority of the thread are about weight loss. I love reading the stories of the amount of weight lost by so many.

When I started with the biking, my intentions was to lose as much as possible during the summer months, and hopefully not gain anything back during the winter months.
    Ok, the winter is over and we have some beautiful summer months and I should be working hard at losing some more weight, but her is the difference now.
    I donít care about losing the weight any longer, but I do enjoy riding my bike, be it on the street or a good single track trail.

My problem now is once Iím done with riding, I want a few beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Diet is for losing weight. Exercise is for getting stronger and feeling better. Enjoy the rides. Summer is way too short
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I can't wait for winter! Supposed to be 119 tomorrow here in Phoenix. Also, beer is a well deserved treat after the ride. Bottoms up.
    ďThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.Ē
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm right there with you man. A lot of times when I'm on here I wonder if there's anybody else like me who's just really big? And even if I lose the extra 10% of body weight I'd like to lose, I'll still be really big. I've been riding for almost 3 years now with the intention of getting into shape and hopefully losing weight along the way and while I have gotten into shape, I have only lost a minimal amount of weight. I've even been doing a lot of kettle bell and core work along with weights too and while my body has put on a lot of muscle the number on the scale don't change. I just ride to have fun while getting exercise and am ok with it. And yeah man, who doesn't want a beer or two or three...after a ride?

Not every clyde has the goal of NOT being a clyde. I'm 6'2 220lbs and perfectly content with it. Oh sure, i can climb and corner a smidge better at 210, but when i restrict my caloric intake to get there i have major post ride cramping issues. At 205 my endurance goes to **** and everyone is asking if i am sick.

F it. 220 is fine! I'm actually the strongest climber in my riding group and have built up stamina and endurance to push *almost* as hard at the end of a 30 mile ride as i did at the start. I stopped using gravity as an excuse a long time ago.

A beer and burrito after a ride is ALLLLLLLLLLL good.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Big difference, literally, between a 220 pounds "clyde" and a real clyde that weighs in high 200's or even into the 300's. Having been 320 pounds, maybe more during my life, yeah, I want/need to loose weight. True, I ride because I love riding but it's also exercise and a way to help me loose weight which I need to do. It's a fact that being heavy is taxing on your body and organ systems. So if I can help it and loose weight to reduce that stress and maybe live a better life for a bit longer, damn right I'll focus on weight loss. I have two kids and a family history of heart disease. I want to do what I can to try and prevent that and be around to see my kids grow and have kids and enjoy life rather than be miserable and huge.

Im not a real clyde!?

Thats it, im going emo. Need to cut my self now.

mtbr member
    haha...I mean 220 is clyde, but not really that heavy IMO.

Was 250 start of 2012. Ive been a mtn biker for a looooooong time, but it had been a while since I had ridden. Last November I got down to 205 and realized that was too thin for me. Ive been holding at 215-225 since.

Ive had my battle with becoming a lump on the couch and won. Just chiming in that sub 200 is not the goal of every clyde.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would love to be 220, I dont think it would ever happen. Ill be happy if I can get down to 280. My highest was 376 (that I know of). last check im at 345.

mtbr member
    I was 165 pounds back in 1997...lol...started lifting weight heavy, ballooned up to 260 but a very muscular 260, got lazy and exploded to a very fat 320+ pounds. Now I'm a less muscular 265 hoping to get down as close to 200 as I can before I build back up to a more muscular 215-225. I couldn't do 165 again for sure. But 200-225 would be great as long as I had some muscle mass.

mtbr member
    Lol, same here. I'm 5'6", and until 2009, I was 180 lb with around 10% body fat. I was wrestling, training martial arts, lifting weights, running 2-4 miles a day... Then I graduated from university and started coaching wrestling, teaching martial arts, and with screwed up ankle, lower back, and shoulders, I couldn't lift or run. By 2011, I was 220 lb, went up to 245 lb briefly, then back down to 220 lb. One of the problem is that winter is so cold and long here, I don't get half the exercise I do during spring-fall. I live about 2 miles from work, so I walk to and from work, I ride for 60-90 minutes, 2-3 times a week. But in winter, none of that. That's when I really have to watch what I eat to not get fatter.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Not every clyde has the goal of NOT being a clyde.

A beer and burrito after a ride is ALLLLLLLLLLL good.
    I'm 6'8" & 260, with a 20% bmi. even if I got my BMI to single digits, I'd still be a clyde. I like food. I like beer. Riding 100+ miles a week let's me enjoy both with less of a penalty. Besides, my gf owns a Belgian beer pub, so cutting out beer is not an option for me.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    [IMG] my gf owns a Belgian beer pub, so cutting out beer is not an option for me.
    Does she have a single sister who lives in San Diego and also owns a pub?

Dude, thats like winning the lottery! How did you pull that one off?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Does she have a single sister who lives in San Diego and also owns a pub?

Dude, thats like winning the lottery! How did you pull that one off?
    I ask myself that every day... It's not my money, all I do is ride bikes every day and write every once in a while and it's not my looks...
    She doesn't have a sister unfortunately.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I ask myself that every day... It's not my money, all I do is ride bikes every day and write every once in a while and it's not my looks...
    She doesn't have a sister unfortunately.
    Humm, when its not the money or the looks, it only leaves one thing!!!

You must be pretty funny, with great jokes

Well, he IS 6'8". I bet his jokes are.... bigger than average.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I'm right in there with most of you guys, I started riding 3 years ago, I was terribly slow, I could barely ride 3 miles with slicks, I stuck to it and lost 40# the first year

I keep gaining endurance, I ride farther and climb faster with ease

I also do some weight lifting and I can't keep up with recovery without enough of the proper calories

As it turns out if I don't bother watching everything I take in anymore I don't have any recovery issues either, I try to avoid drinking a lot of soda and junk food and I'm still getting faster and stronger but the scale hasn't budged in either direction from 255# and I'm fine with it
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I'm right in there with most of you guys, I started riding 3 years ago, I was terribly slow, I could barely ride 3 miles with slicks, I stuck to it and lost 40# the first year

I keep gaining endurance, I ride farther and climb faster with ease

I also do some weight lifting and I can't keep up with recovery without enough of the proper calories

As it turns out if I don't bother watching everything I take in anymore I don't have any recovery issues either, I try to avoid drinking a lot of soda and junk food and I'm still getting faster and stronger but the scale hasn't budged in either direction and I'm fine with it
    That's pretty much my story. After starting at 368, I've lost 23# since April, and despite riding 30-40 miles a week and doing crossfit 2-3 days a week I haven't lost another pound. I've gotten a lot stronger, have noticed my stomach shrinking, my legs getting more defined, and my endurance and leg strength getting a lot better. I'm almost resigned to the fact that I'll be a super clyde for a loooong time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    That's pretty much my story. After starting at 368, I've lost 23# since April, and despite riding 30-40 miles a week and doing crossfit 2-3 days a week I haven't lost another pound. I've gotten a lot stronger, have noticed my stomach shrinking, my legs getting more defined, and my endurance and leg strength getting a lot better. I'm almost resigned to the fact that I'll be a super clyde for a loooong time.
    It's a known fact that our bodies will hit a plateau and will get use to what you are doing. Gotta change it up a bit. Maybe running or other types of gym equipment. your body at one point in time will lean out with more muscle.