mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Sizing Problem for Tall Rider

New to MTBR! I have been looking for help, and thought this could be the place.

I'm not new to biking or MTN biking. Been riding a Cannondale SuperV 900 for almost 13 years. I primarily do triathlon, but going to get into XTERRA racing and looking for a new MTN bike.

Here is my problem and could use some help. I'm 6'7", 225# with a long inseam (almost 39" from floor to crotch).

I plugged my measurements into competitivecyclist.com and need a 25.5" eff top tube and found that I can supposedly fit on the XL frames of the 29ers by Cannondale, Gary Fisher, Specialized, etc.

However, Specialized offers a XXL frame, that according to the calculator, is TOO big. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that since I go with the biggest in about everything due to my size (they have a 23" frame with 26.5" eff top tube).

So far, I'm looking at the Cannondale 29er 2, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er, GF HiFi Delux 29, or the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er.

The OTHER problem is, my LBS doesn't have a large stock of the XL frames and NONE of the XXL frames to test ride - or that could have solved the issue. I will have to order it, untested.

So, is there anyone out there my size that has an oppinion? Thoughts? Would I be good on the XL GF or Cannondale, or do I/should I look at the XXL offerings by Specialized?

BTW, I want a 29er for around $2800 or less for recreation and some racing.

Former Bike Wrench
    You could try using the Wrench Science fit system to give you an idea if the XXL will fit

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks! Another toy. Love it...

I ran through the numbers, and again, right in between the 21" and 23"... That confirms the other fitting system but still leaves me with a decision...

Thanks again!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    there are some real giants riding in the 29er forum...

IMHO the most important part is the ETT... but you can adjust that a bit with stems and posts... the problem with running a small frame with LOTS of post hanging out is 2 fold... you may need an aftermarket post to get enough extention for your leg length then there is the problem of the bar drop... you can offset that by a long steer tube w/ spacers under it + a riser stem + riser bar... it looks goofy but will work...

at your height def check out 29ers...

good luck on finding the right bike for yourself
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    I am a little bigger than you (6'9", 240) and have 2 trail bikes in the stable. One is an XL GF Caliber with a 26.1 ETT. It is an OK bike, but IMO not built for anyone over 200# that rides hard. It is great in a straight line, OK climbing, but flexes too much in the turns and hard pedaling. There is also a long history of GF frame failures, esp. for clydes. This is actually my 3rd Fisher, but I won't get another. There is a great warranty out there for frame replacement (I've used it too), but all of the Fisher full sus bikes I have pedaled just flex too much out back. I would definitely look at 25.5" or greater top tubes elsewhere. You can always run a shorter stem on them and reap the rewards of tighter steering.

mtbr member

specialized would probably work XXL

I am even taller then the last guy at 6'10" with a 41 inch inseam. I have sat on the Specialized XXL frames and they where close to fitting me( a little small). I went with a custom steel bike for obvious reasons. My buddy rides Gary Fishers and like the last guy said, has had some issues. He is 6'4" about 220 and is on his 3rd frame in 2 years. They have awesome customer service. The last frame they actually upgraded him to the superfly for cost because of all his issues. The only way to really know is you have to ride them. For that price range it might be worth traveling a couple hours to another cities bike shop.
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice to see other big guys out there. Thanks for the info... I decided to go XXL Specy, and stay away from GF and you guys helped confirm that...

Now I need to decide between Stump FSR 29er or Stump HT 29er...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    At 6'7", I'm about the hight of the OP, though my inseam is a bit shorter. I bought the Specialized XXL Stumpy 29er frame in January and haven't looked back. Having riden the biggest frame I could find on the shelf for as long as I know I'd gotten used to 21.5 frames. I was a little worried about changing the lenght of the top tube, and at 26.2" the Spesh is pretty rangy. Riding it took all fears away. It is the best fitting bike I've ever owned. I'm using a 100mm stem now verses the 130 on my Superlight (25" ett). I may even stretch it out to 110mm and see how that feels.

In short, +1 on the XXL.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I noticed these threads in the 29er forum and thought I would add them here for reference purposes and future users:

Which company sells the LARGEST stock frame......
    Which company sells the LARGEST stock frame......

29er with XL frame. What are my options
    29er with XL frame. What are my options