mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New question here. Size 13 4E shoe flat pedal shoes. ?????????

Does anyone have a suggestions for a extra wide (4E) flat MTB shoe for platform pedals with pins. I have seached and cannot seem to find any company that makes a wide MTB shoe. Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if they are an option but I'm an 11 4E and I just gave up and went back to flat bottomed skate shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm a 12 4E and after nothing was fitting, tried the FiveTen Freerider's in size 13 - and they've been great! Not too long, and the width works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a fairly wide foot in 13us.
    Another thing to look for in a shoe is the last on a it. that's what the shoe is built on and around. You generally get a curved, semi-curved and straight last. Draw a line through the centre of the sole at the heel. See how it runs through the forefoot. If the forefoot is fairly off centre, it is a curved, semi off centre is semi-curved and reasonably straight through is a straight lasted shoe. This can make a difference in how wide a shoe "feels" Also if the toebox section is big, it'll feel wider then a shoe built on the same last with a smaller toebox section.
    Funnily enough I usually wear old offroad running shoes to ride. Not the best on flats, but the best for climbing up some of the steep terrain I can't ride up. Other then that I sometimes used to wear my DC skate shoes before they died.
    I can't really offer advice on MTB specific footwear for flats as I have never bothered with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Size 13 4E shoe flat pedal shoes. ?????????

After a lot of research I ended up ordering a pair or Merrell Phoenix trek hiking shoes. Very open block tread that should hook up ok with my DMR Vault pins. I guess anything is better than my new balance running shoes have have been using. Thanks everyone for the input. I will update how the Merrells worked out next week.