mtbr member

Single speed hubs...

What are the options? What are you guys using? Trying to stay down on the price.

local trails rider
    Any gearie cassette hub can be converted to SS with some spacers and a cog.

I am running Hope Pro2 Singlespeed/Trials hubs that have a narrow cassette: room for 5 or 6 cogs which also allows lots of adjustment for chain line. No problems. Some hate them because they are LOUD.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I have Hopes already on my geared bike and I don't mind. I just wasn't sure if SS specific hubs would be better than using a regular hub with a conversion kit. I would definitely go Hope again.

Back of the pack doping.
    I9.

Also very loud, but also light.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

local trails rider
    I think the "normal" Hope hubs have aluminum freehubs and the SS/Trials is steel. The single cog is then less likely to gouge the freehub.

I like a "system approach": when you have something you like, use the same on everything. Then you know what you have, have the same maintenance procedures and tools.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Former Bike Wrench
    Pretty sure "trying to stay down on price" would exclude the I9 hubs, may or may not exclude the Hope (which is a very good value).

There are two types of SS hubs, the freehub type like Hope, CK, I9, DT and the freewheel type like Surly, Paul, White Industries. The freewheel type can be cheaper but then you spend the money on a good freewheel so it tends to be a wash.

Here is a stout and cheap cartridge bearing freehub type SS hub

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_202458

Back of the pack doping.
    On ebay everything is cheap

But yes, if you bought them new, they would be expensive I agree.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    If I go Hope again I'll get them from ChainReaction...pretty cheap over there. My current setup also has the steel freewheel body.

local trails rider
    If you buy from ChainReaction, you might as well get a complete custom wheel if their rim selection suits you.

no, I'm not riding SS
    love my Hope SS specific hubs. better engagement than the geared Hopes, and a great price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    If you buy from ChainReaction, you might as well get a complete custom wheel if their rim selection suits you.
    Thought about that...or I may have it shipped directly to MikeSee so he can lace them up to some SunRingle MTX33's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shorner
    love my Hope SS specific hubs. better engagement than the geared Hopes, and a great price.
    I went with the hope SS hubs as well for the better engagement and able to run less dish on the rear wheel. I am never going to run these wheels geared so no reason to use the regular hope hub.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shorner
    I don't know if this would play into Clyde durability, but the Hope SS hubs only engage 2 pawls at a time (vs all 4 on the multi-speed hubs) so they get 48 poe out of 24 ratchet teeth by offsetting the pawls.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I don't know if this would play into Clyde durability, but the Hope SS hubs only engage 2 pawls at a time (vs all 4 on the multi-speed hubs) so they get 48 poe out of 24 ratchet teeth by offsetting the pawls.

Just thought I'd put that out there.
    Not sure how much you consider a Clyde but I am alittle over 200 pounds dry and haven't had any problems. But I am not the strongest person and my last SS was using a mavic cross ride setup with no hub problems as well.

I know that the SS doesn't have any more pawls and like you said they just off set the rest to get the extra POE but how much do you think that weakens the hub vs the geared version. I didn't really take this into account since I wasn't having hub problems before but could it actually be weaker than a low end geared hub like the mavic cross ride?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878
    Not sure how much you consider a Clyde but I am alittle over 200 pounds dry and haven't had any problems. But I am not the strongest person and my last SS was using a mavic cross ride setup with no hub problems as well.

I know that the SS doesn't have any more pawls and like you said they just off set the rest to get the extra POE but how much do you think that weakens the hub vs the geared version. I didn't really take this into account since I wasn't having hub problems before but could it actually be weaker than a low end geared hub like the mavic cross ride?
    Personally I wouldn't be concerned either (at 225lbs) but I also don't explode Shimano freehub bodies. But there are those Clydes that blow up freehub bodies so I thought it was at least worthy information.

mtbr member
    I am about 285 and pretty powerful from my powerlifting background. Not sure how that would be with the Hopes...I haven't had an issue with my geared Hopes. What other decent <$200 options are there? I was also looking at the Phil Woods...I know they are more than $200 but how do they compare to the Hopes? Surly?
    Last edited by Nubster; 05-24-2011 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Just got an email back from Mike Curiak...he is recommending the Surly 36h hubs.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Just got an email back from Mike Curiak...he is recommending the Surly 36h hubs.
    Both the Phil Wood and Surly hubs are freewheel type...so make sure you get a solid freewheel.