The Dude abides

Shorts for boys with big legs

Main Idea: I need a pair of mtb shorts that will fit around my juge-ass thighs!!!!!

Okay ladies and gents,
    I'm definintely in the clyde catagory (6'3", 255lb) and have been plagued by a problem for as long as I can remember. I have huge legs!!! I think its probably from always having a big frame, yet participating in sports which require an enormous amount of running (i.e. soccer). I guess its not too much of problem as I can almost hold my own with my gram counting, spandex wearing, xc buddies on the uphills. The problem is finding a pair of shots that fit. I first tried the XL Hoss Ponderosa short, but I almost couldn't get them on. Then I ordered a pair of their xxl, but they were still a little too tight in the legs while being a bit too loose in the waist. Then, realizing that I didn't really need a fancy pair of shorts with all kinds of pockets (as I put most of my stuff in my camelbak while riding) I decided on trying on a pair of the navarre under shorts, which are kind of like a pair of underwear with a chamois, which basically let you turn any pair of shorts into riding shorts. I had the same problem, way too tight in the legs, but they fit in the waist.
    Do any of you other guys who can squat lift a buick have any recommendations??????
    Last edited by coloradocoullion; 06-29-2007 at 03:56 AM.
    "Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not sure how big your legs are, but we used to (and still do) measure the size of my legs to make sure they will work with shorts/pants/boxers.

About 4" above my knee, my leg is 32" in circumference, I wear Canari Velo Gel shorts with regular old Target baggy cargo shorts over them... and they work great. Size XL, even though it says it goes to size 38, fits me and I wear a 42-44 pant. They're tight to get on but... they're supposed to be. Not uncomfortably tight at all, though, and no need for baby oil to get them on.

(Are you guys getting sick of hearing that yet? )

rust never sleeps
    A lot of bike stuff ain't made guys as big as we are.
    I wear 3XL lycra under Dickie work shorts. Works great.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Same problem, for as long as I can remember. 10 years of throwing shot in high school and college. I have a 38-inch waist but have to buy 42 pants to feel comfortable in the legs.

So...

I only wear Pearl Izumi bibs, size XXL. Very comfortable. I have pretty much given up on baggies, for the reasons you described. Anybody gives you crap about 'em look back at their legs and remind them this:

You can't fire a cannon from a canoe, little man!!!

Happy riding!