Thread: Shorts

Steve
    Jun 2013

Shorts

I just got a pair of mountain bike shorts, not the tighty road bike shorts, from REI, their own brand and I am confused. The padding seems to not hit my, well ass, for lack of a better term, properly. The padding seems to hang out (no pun intended) between the boys and the cheeks.
    Is the padding supposed to be there or is it supposed to be located more of where my rear is? If not, can anyone recommend any experience they have with any brands. Good/bad feedback would be appreciated regarding any brand. Waste size is 42-44.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sit on the bike and see whether the padding is between you and the saddle!

You'll find that most of your ass is not on the saddle.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    TooTall is dead on. Your butt should should NOT be sitting on the saddle as it would if you were sitting at your desk. You ride the bike as if it were a saddle on a horse... your sit bones take the force and the shorts cover your sit bones.

Also, don't be fooled... biking shorts are not primarily designed to give you padding and therefore comfort.... they are there to prevent you being RUBBED RAW. If you expect them to make you comfortable sitting, you will be disappointed. They help, but they don't make the bike a lounge chair.

I recently switched to lycra type shorts. I got tired of my shorts hanging up on my seat, me sitting with bunches of fabric, etc.. I finally "got over myself" and bought a pair of Pearl Izumi elite Int-r-cooler shorts. I will likely never wear baggies again. I liked them so much on my first ride, I ordered a second pair while they were still on sale. I wear a 42 jean and the 2XL PI shorts fit great.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    +1 for lycra shorts, even better is a bib shorts. Keeps the pad where it should be at all times. And, about all pads are different, both in size and placement in the shorts. Im a 44 waist in jeans and use Large in Skins C200 Compression bib shorts. Fits perfect.

Steve
    Jun 2013
    So I ordered these: Mens Basic Padded Cycling Shorts on Sale now $24.95
    on clearance based on some recommendations and reviews as well. This place rocks. Thank you all for your assistance.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2

So many decisions, a million revisions caught between darkness and light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I did 7hrs of off road riding in Aerotech designs baggies without an issue last week.

mtbr member
    I like fox baggies, and pearl tighties. Depends on the day as to what I wear. The baggies have pockets, so they win out usually. The padding is for your taint. Look at bib shorts if you are a plumber kind of guy. Once caught my shorts on the saddle and had to ride bare-ass down the run.