Freelance Whatever

Short travel 26" FS for a Clyde...

Hey guys, I'm in need of some advice. The wife has given her blessing, so I'm looking to get a short travel, full suspension rig. I've been riding a rigid SS for the last 3-4 years and the knees and back are begging for some relief. I've had a 29er and wasn't that happy with the larger wheels, so I'd like to stick with the 26" wheel. I've tried the Fuel EX8 (and up) but I don't think I need 5+ inches of travel where I ride. It's mostly flat, groomed singletrack and some climbing. I've been looking at the Trek Top Fuel 8 and the Specialized Epic, but I'm open to other suggestions. I have considered a hardtail w/ Thudbuster (or the like) but would like to explore the FS side first to see what my options are. I'm 5'10", 250+gear but I don't plan on doing any huge drops and I'm pretty easy on my stuff. Lemme know what you think!

29 some of the time...
    Transition Preston might be worth looking into. Very stout frame. Geometry is all given with a 6in fork, so the BB height and head angle would be more trail friendly with a 140mm 520ac fork.

Seems like most trail bikes are heading into 5.5-6in of rear travel. It isn't all bad though in longer travel. Pedaling efficiency has improved dramatically over the last 4-5 years. Don't be too afraid of longer travel bikes. Short travel seems to be largely XC and really not up for clydesdale abuse IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Former Bike Wrench
    Might check out a SC Superlight...100mm front and rear

29 some of the time...
    I'd be on a Turner Flux before a SL. The SL is gonna be flexy, used to be they had a weight restriction of 190lb on the design. The flux doesn't suffer the same issues. Either way, both are clear cut XC rigs. Maybe that is what the OP wants ?

Problem with a lot of the xc bikes is that they really aren't up to the clyde abuse, even if it is mainly buff trails. So long as the OP is cool with that then by all means get an xc. Trek, Specialized, and Giant are going to get you more bang for the buck component-wise than santa cruz or Turner.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Freelance Whatever

thanks for the input!

I'm not opposed to the XC rigs, and like I said, the trails are pretty buff and I don't tend to be hard on my equipment. I have ridden the Fuel EX7, which appears to be the same frame as the higher level aluminum models and it was OK. LBS has a Trance XO demo that they wanted $2100 (but checked later and they marked it up to $2600) and the spec was sweet! Took it for a little ride around the 'hood and I think it would take more tuning to get it to my preference. I guess, coming from a rigid SS, I'm a little leary of the 5 inch travel "difference" from my current ride. I suppose it's all about making adjustments, though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Funny, I was about to suggest a Trance X_, there are several models other than the X0. Seems like a stouter XC oriented FS.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    I'd be on a Turner Flux before a SL. The SL is gonna be flexy, used to be they had a weight restriction of 190lb on the design.
    The old SL design was quite flexy so no argument here...but I have had the chance to ride the redesigned model (not a major ride, but I had actually demo'd a old SL for an entire day back in 2001 so I knew what I was looking for) and its significantly stiffer in the swingarm and pivot. It doesn't have any weight restrictions and will fit a 2.35" tire in the rear. Other than the single pivot, the new Superlight (probably not the appropriate name for it anymore) is not the same bike as the previous model...its actually more of a lightweight Heckler

meatheadboy
    Aug 2006
    i've been on a Cannondale Rush 3Z for 2 season's now and love it! I ride the same thing, buff, sandy, smooth mainly with a couple 2-3' drops here and there. I think the Superlight still has the weight restriction, i looked at it last year and they had a weight limit of 225 lbs.

Snapper

hi

i am 6.5 and 270lbs and would recommend a Titus Motolite for someone your hieght. Also the newer Yeti 575s are rather stiff and light enough for XC. At my hieght l always thought 29er was the key and have two but nothing beats a solid 5 inch 26er for general f&cking around. What ever you get try and ensure you have a 20mm TA fork (Pike, Minute, Marz), strong wheelset and stiff frame. 5 inch frame will probably suit someone your size more than the current crop of 4 inches regardless of intent. (XC) I ride a Turner Spot (08) which are cheap, efficient, solid and can be built up light or burly if required. There are heaps of second hand rigs going on classifieds here (MTBr). Keep your SS for shorter rides. Sorry but Giant doesnt stir my loins. You dont sound like a XC Wippet and neither should your bike.......... forgive me if l am wrong
    Have fun
    JD

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm 6-2, close to 220# with gear. I'm running an XL 05 Heckler with a Swinger 3 way, 140 mm Revelation Dual Air, Marta SL's, Chris King, X9, XT cranks & cass on A.C. 350 disc wheelset with tubeless Pythons. It tips the scale at just under 27#. Bulletproof handling and tougher than Mike Tyson. I don't do big hits with it but I ride everything hard and fast. It would easily be a competitive platform for a Clyde race. Plus they're about half the price of the Titus, Turner or Yeti.

mtbr member
    I'm about 210 and have ridden the newer model Superlight for a year with no problems. If you look at the design, it looks just like a Heckler, but with 4" travel instead of 5.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller