Thread: Short and round

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Short and round

Hello all,

Just a quick intro. First post here and the forum is great. I have read a unch of the clydes threads and I am a bit confused now, more than when I started reading.

I am 5'10, about 260 with no gear. I am looking to do some trail riding, with some possible small jumps. I am llokig for something beefy to hold up to my weight and take some light abuse. I got suggestions that a downhill bike will be beefy enough for me. I was looking for a stinky, Coiler, Enduro, or Stumper FSR. My budget is around 800-1000.

I do like disc brakes and full suspension, but I may not know enough about the bikes to say I wont like a hardtail. Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just my opinion, but I don't think you need a downhill bike for trail riding and small jumps, even at 260lbs a decent XC frame with decent fork and components will work. I think starting out on a 40 lb downhill bike will most likely make you ride less, while a 25 lb HT with a decent fork and XT components will have you wanting to ride more. With a budget of 800-1000, I would look at getting a nice hardtail.

Not a lurker
    Sorry for the thread resurrection but I've got a bit to add to this. Sounds like the Kona Hoss could be the perfect bike for you. It's a hardtail that's built for clydes like us. And I'm sure that if you look you can find one for under a grand.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks for the info guys. I am still searching for what I want/need. I am going to test ride a few bikes that a friend's friend has.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode what felt to be the perfect bike for me. Rocky Mountain Element 70 with all upgraded parts. It was a friend of a friend that bikes alot and knows his stuff. We rode for about an hour and a half. The bike felt great