Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shin protection. Tree trunk legs.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  adaycj 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Looking for a little help finding some shin pads/guards that will fit my 19 1/2" calf. I'm 6'3" 285# I like to get the downhills a little more than I should at times and that seems to lead to a few cuts a bumps. Not looking for down Hill gear just something that will keep the pedal pins out of my leg and help keep the rocks from taking my skin away. But need something that will not hurt my climbing. Can't seem to find anything that will fit. Thanks on advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
First, Ouch! Been there, shredded that!

I've got a pair of 661 knee pads XL, that are actually sorta comfortable to ride with. Used them the other day when it was cold as knee warmers. Think they're the old Kyle Strait model.
I know you're asking about shin guards but my knee guards would've saved most of your carnage (they extend down a bit).
For shin guards look into the neoprene BMX ones or moto stuff. It's funny but I used to wear shinguards all the time and now just run the knee ones (that ought to guarantee some shin shredage next ride, lol).

#5 ·
Sorry to bring revive an old thread, however did the OP ever find a set of knee pads that work? My legs are roughly the same dimensions as yours and I either have to wear a set of knee/shin pads that are open backed and I end up cooking on the ride up (they are too hot to where if I am doing more of an xc ride), or the straight knee pads don't stay put and cause me a lot of grief/issues with bunching up behind my knee and not staying put.

Like everything else in our sport the kit is made for people of smaller stature then how we are built.

#6 ·
I gave up on the shin protection, BUT ..... I did buy a pair on 7idp covert knee pads and they fit great, and over all work very well. I have had a few quality issues im emailing them about now (stitching coming loose). but over all really like them.

#9 ·
Soccer stores have guards that will work to pedal in. Some will not reach tree trunk sized dimensions, and some will not work because of ankle protection that interferes with with cycling shoes. But some will. They will easily take pedal strikes because they are made to protect from shoe cleat strikes and kicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.