mtbr member
    May 2008

Shimano or Raceface crank set ?

Hello,

I am buying a new crank set.

Would you recommend a shimano SLX or a Race face Deus XC? My funds are limited and I can get either for ~ the same price.

I generally commute and hop curbs, ride stairs, plus some mild single track.

I'm ~ 6'4" 235.

My bike is a 98 GT avalanche

Thanks

Underskilled
    I use a raceface Atlas and love it.
    My freind runs an XC, also loves it.
    Every review I read worships the SLX.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I'm going to jump in here and recommend the Shimano cranks. I've been using Race Face cranks and they constantly come loose. About 2 rides is all they will stay tight. They are just over 1 year old. I'm working with my dealer right now to get them warrantied. I'm considering ebaying the replacements and going SLX or XT.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    I'm going to jump in here and recommend the Shimano cranks. I've been using Race Face cranks and they constantly come loose. About 2 rides is all they will stay tight. They are just over 1 year old. I'm working with my dealer right now to get them warrantied. I'm considering ebaying the replacements and going SLX or XT.
    What comes loose? My chain ring bolts fell out of my Atlas cranks, but after I got some new bolts (as mine were lost on trail) and loc-tited them, they have been perfect.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    What comes loose? My chain ring bolts fell out of my Atlas cranks, but after I got some new bolts (as mine were lost on trail) and loc-tited them, they have been perfect.
    The bolt that holds the crankarm on. I thought about trying loc-tite but then worry about getting the bolt out for servicing the bottom bracket.
    i ride bikes

Former Bike Wrench
    Clean the bolt and spindle threads completely and leave no residue behind. Use Loctite Blue 242 on the bolt and install the crankset, make sure and torque to spec (use grease were specified other than the bolt). Let setup for 24 hours and you'll be good to go, and still be able to remove the cranks when needed.

mtbr member
    Isn't that Race Face crank about the same price as an XT? I would just get an XT and skip the SLX. Oh wait, I did just put an XT crank on my bike a few days ago. I got mine for under $200.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Where did you get xt for under 200?, was it from the UK ?

ballbuster

I would use red loctite

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    The bolt that holds the crankarm on. I thought about trying loc-tite but then worry about getting the bolt out for servicing the bottom bracket.
    I've had this issue with my older Octalink pre-Hollowtech2 XT cranks. Torqued to spec the first time I installed them, and they would not stay tight unless I used Red Loctite on the bolts. Works great. Never a problem to remove them.

I would say red because its an M10 bolt which is pretty big. If it were smaller M5 or M6 bolts (like CRBs or other smaller bolts that use a 4mm or 5mm allen wrench) I would say use blue. I also use blue on my pedal threads so they don't seize in the crank arms.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew7
    Where did you get xt for under 200?, was it from the UK ?
    Yeah, ChainReactionCycles

Their price has gone up a bit since I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, but it's still under $200. Not sure what shipping charges are because I ordered a couple of other things so my shipping was free. That crank is a huge upgrade over the POS Truvativ Stylo that came on my bike.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I've got four Race Face Evolve cranksets on bikes at my house (ones that I paid $120 to $140 for). Two are the DH version and two are the XC version, all with X-type bottom bracket. Also had another set of Evolve XC on a bike that I sold to my brother. We ride quite a bit and none have any chronic issues with bolts coming loose. I've installed all of them myself and what I have found is that after I have a couple rides I will retorque the spindle bollt and then it's good to go for the long haul.

mtbr member
    I have on my bikes RF Atlas AM Bike, RF Deuce XC AM Bike, RF DH Evolve FR Bike and DJ, Shram Stylo XC Bike, Shimamo SLX and Octalink AM and hard Tail. all the X type cranks feel stiff and solid, the biggest difference between them is cost and weight, the Shimamo SLX is the slowest shifting, the Stylo is the fastest the RF feels the most solid. I just my $4.35 (adjusted for inflation)
    Last edited by Saxon9598; 04-21-2009 at 03:26 AM.
    F88me самолюбивый член