mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Setup help for 66 Light ETA

I'm going to post this in the "Let's talk about shocks" forum as well but since I am a Clyde at 240lbs, I thought I might get some good advice by a fellow Clyde that might happen to ride a 66 Light ETA or 66 RC2 ETA. The only difference between the two other than decals is that the 66 RC2 ETA has 180mm of travel whereas the 66 Light ETA has 170mm.

So, I picked up a new 66 Light ETA and took it for its' maiden ride this afternoon. I followed the Marzocchi set up guide for suggested air pressure for the 200-220+ weight range which is as high as the chart goes. Anyhow, their suggested air pressure range for this weight range is 52 to 65psi. I originally filled it to 65psi and it was so incredibly stiff that I went down to 52pos which is where I tried it today. The fork is super stiff. I did some jumps and a couple of small drops around 4' along with a pretty rutted downhill run with jumps and small drops. I used 98mm of travel which is somewhere around 3 3/4". I find it hard to believe this is from new seal stiction and lack of break in time. I was running about 7 clicks of rebound and 1 click of compression.

The manual also said to set up the fork with 25-25% sag. I was never able to get more than 7mm with 30psi.

I believe the Marzocchi manual is wrong. Any suggestions on air pressure?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those numbers are for the 66 SL, which is an all-air fork. The 66 Light is coil/oil with air preload. Air preload range is 0-15 psi. Start with zero air in the fork and see how it goes - if you can't stand how soft it is, add a few pumps of air. I have the 66rc2x, and have run it with 0-10 psi. I run it at 0 psi, because then you have great small-bump sensitivity. I can't stand how harsh and choppy the fork feels with 5 psi in it. My dirt bike forks have air bleeders on them, because air pressure in your fork makes it handle like crap.