Thread: Set Up Fox Rp23

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Set Up Fox Rp23

Hello,

Has anyone heard about setting your RP23 fox shock by using psi/weight ratio? for example if my weight is 235Lbs my starting point should be 235 psi? I checked out the setting up info on the fox website and it doesnt say anything about that. This is my first bike with full suspension. I am 235 lbs and ride mostly XC (Florida no downhill or freeride) Anyone have dialing in tips?

banned
    I weigh 285lbs and set up my rp23 to 77% of body weight. I asked the same question and that was the best answer I got and that percentage worked like a charm

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    The pressure you should use in a rear shock is affected by the design of suspension (i.e. things like the leverage ratio) so a psi/rider weight ratio that works on one particular design won't be adequate for another. You should be setting the pressure in your shock to get the recommended amount of sag and then adjust it up or down from there in 5psi increments to get the riding comfort and/or performance you like. There's nothing like the trial and error method to find out what works for you. Y

I have a Curtlo FS bike which uses a Ventana rear suspension (2-to-1 ratio). For a fully geared up rider weight of about 260lbs, I only need to run 180 psi in my Fox RP23 to get the recommended percentage of sag.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just set the sag, % of the shock travel - 25% would work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    set the sag like is supposed to be but i noticed that the o-ring on the shaft its almost all the way to the end. it hasnt bottomed out but its maybe 1 or 2mm from that. is this normal? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i checked it 1/2 way thru my ride and after I got back from the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh you set the sag by sitting comfortably on your bike in the shop, with the RP23 in full squish.

It should be about 20 to 25% compressed.

Then ride if it looks like it is bottomming out on a normal ride then maybe reduce the initial sag a bit.

Yes use the o-ring to measure sag.

You can then set it up how you like it best, but at least your starting from a good place.

I guess I either ride heavy (let the shock do the work) or I ride rougher terrain, but mine is set-up closer to 15% initial sag.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks. I'll play with the setting before my next ride on thursday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

thecentralscrutinizer
    Man, there's your problem....you have the shock mounted upside-down.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    right! ha ha .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danitolaboy
    set the sag like is supposed to be but i noticed that the o-ring on the shaft its almost all the way to the end. it hasnt bottomed out but its maybe 1 or 2mm from that. is this normal? Thanks in advance.
    You should use most of your travel when riding. Now if it is blowing thru the travel on mild hits and the sag is correct the air volume is incorrect. The assumption that an air shock is completly tuned by the air pressure doesn't show the whole picture. The shocks air volume controls its progression. All air shocks should be made with adjustble air sleeves( AVA). Fox usually has a couple air can volumes for its Float's / DHX-A's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    To start I would go with your weight then adjust the psi +/- until you get the 20-25% sag. Then dial-in all the other settings. Thats what I did with my Float R.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

From Push Industries

I weigh 230 and told Push Industries to build my RP-23 with little bob and only to fully release on big hits. I hate loosing momentum to frame travel...It came back at
    PSI 235
    Preload: one complete turn
    Compresson one full turn clockwise
    rebound 4 full turns clockwise

Very stiff ride, but I love it

Captain Underpants
    I don't bother with sag anymore. I pick the middle setting and dump enough air in it to give me a not too plush, not too firm ride. Oddly, it works out to exactly what Eddie reccomends . . .

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    I don't bother with sag anymore. I pick the middle setting and dump enough air in it to give me a not too plush, not too firm ride. Oddly, it works out to exactly what Eddie reccomends . . .
    And it rides really good too doesn't it I ride a Moto-lite and pumped it up to my body weight and it was kinda like riding a hardtail. After asking the question on the Shock forum I put it at that percentage (77%) and it was perfect. I thought about leverage ratio's and stuff like that and I still don't know why 77% works but it does. I even did that percentage on my Enduro and guess what....It was perfect as well. Maybe it is just pure dumb luck and ignorance but I like stuff simple and that is about as simple as it gets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey it does work! I pumped it up to my weight and it was too hard;went back to the truck for some adjustment and played with the Psi til it felt just right. turns out its around 76-78%. AWESOME TIP GUYS. many many thanks.

Danny