mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Separate the Tall from the Big??

Maybe this has been discussed before....as a bean pole wookie (6.5 feet and 180#) I like the idea of a tall guy forum but find this forum to usually be about 'big' boys. I think that is a valuable forum too in its own right but just like my local Big and Tall store the emphasis is Big>>>>>>>>>tall. Is it crazy to make these separate forums?

Maybe I'm just jealous that I don't qualify as a clyde in my local series and get my ass kicked on a regular basis by a bunch of 5' 7" guys while I'm busy ducking trees

Can Tree Member
    Hmmm....I'd be worried about this. Isn't there a saying that goes something like this... tall, fat, and ugly...

...pick two

Seriously though...tall guys can have big motors (George Hincapie, Fabian Cancellara) and do very well in competitive cycling. You may take a hit on the climbs where power-weight ratios do favor the smaller guys, but can have an advantage on the flats and rolling stuff where it's about pure power, not the power-weight ratio.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Hmmm....I'd be worried about this. Isn't there a saying that goes something like this... tall, fat, and ugly...

...pick two

Seriously though...tall guys can have big motors (George Hincapie, Fabian Cancellara) and do very well in competitive cycling. You may take a hit on the climbs where power-weight ratios do favor the smaller guys, but can have an advantage on the flats and rolling stuff where it's about pure power, not the power-weight ratio.

My main point was not my attempt at humor with regard to my middle pack racing performance, but it was having a separate forum for tall>>>>>>>clyde/fat.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Separate threads get separate consideration.

I don't see there being much demand for a separate forum. JMHO.

vegan cyclocross disco
    there's barely enough action in here already.
    Full Disclosure:
    Sponsor: Team Awesome
    Job: Trek Store Columbus
    Organizer: capcitycross.com

blog.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iamandy
    there's barely enough action in here already.

pretty much how I feel on it also...

also typicaly a tall guy is gong to be on the bigger side of even "average" cyclists... while @180 you aren't a clyd... you are near there...

for straight up tall guys you can find a lot of em in the 29er forum... as 29ers just fit us tall guys better

could always hit the gym hard and pour on an extra 20# of muscle... but i doubt that would make you any faster (especialy on climbs grrr)...

thats the biggest thing I look forward to as I loose weight... better power to weight ratio... climbing SUCKS
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member

I know what you mean?

I can kind of understand were you are coming from. Sometimes you just need stuff because your tall. I am in a class of my own but have still met a few guys on the forum my size. I am 6'10" 290lbs. I am not in the shape I used to be (college B-Ball days) but by no means am I over weight. But if there was a tall forum it would get no action there just are not enough of us to support our own forum. The guys on this forum have always been helpful on both my tall and weight issues.
    Live Large

Working Man's Toilet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    ...tall guys can have big motors (George Hincapie, Fabian Cancellara) and do very well in competitive cycling.
    You forgot the biggest-
    Magnus "Maggy" Backstead

I am a tall boy 6'6"- tall forum sounds good- but if a clyde forum barely has action- why flog the futile?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...it's nice... I'm starting to feel more "average" in my height ... how weird
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by beastwood9
    Maybe this has been discussed before....as a bean pole wookie (6.5 feet and 180#) I like the idea of a tall guy forum but find this forum to usually be about 'big' boys. I think that is a valuable forum too in its own right but just like my local Big and Tall store the emphasis is Big>>>>>>>>>tall. Is it crazy to make these separate forums?

Maybe I'm just jealous that I don't qualify as a clyde in my local series and get my ass kicked on a regular basis by a bunch of 5' 7" guys while I'm busy ducking trees
    gain 20lbs and come back.. kthnxbye

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    beleave it or not most of the big people in the forum are also quite tall. personally i'm 6'5" tall and weight in at a stout 260 lbs.

one thing to remember it a big/tall person and ride it that way, then someone lighter like yourself will have not problem.

also just because there are big people here doesn't mean we can't still go light my xc bike just tips the scales at 25lbs and i could make it way lighter if i had deep pockets and wanted to degrade my performance.

personally i as well see no real need to have 2 separate forums as 90% of the same people will be in both.